Night detecting with the Explorer SE Pro

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had another poke around a very scrubby tonight, lots of cursing and swearing getting necked by tree branches and headphones getting caught up on everything. :|
Despite that, this spot had produced a few pre-decs in the past, so I was happy to see a couple of toasted pennies (1949, 1935), a 1980 dog tag, and the best find was a 1917 Florin. Very hard going, but the Florin made it all worthwhile. :)

1425225815_img_20150302_022012.jpg

1425225834_img_20150302_022043.jpg

1425225855_img_20150302_022105.jpg

Don't you just hate those bottle tops that have the jagged glass poking out of them, ready to rip you up if your not watching, only to be transferred into the finds pouch to still be a potential threat until they are finally dealt with(in my case then they are still a threat even after that in the bucket until it's been sorted),.... love that 17 GP.

I am a little sad, to see pennies toasted like that. Its such a shame, but fun to find none the less.

We can't help it RKT,.... it's just nature(Damn you mother nature) hooking into the metal with her wet oxygenated breath(full of the chemicals we pump into the soil from the atmosphere or localised chemical spills or by uneducated chemical misadventure in the past).

Thanks Silver, the florin was the first coin for the night, and in a spot that I had walked over many times previously probably due to its close proximity to the car park - fourth florin from that location and first for the year. The signal and ID were a mixed iron/high conductivity target, but pinpointed strong and solid in an area peppered with foil and pull tab/ring pull targets. Just about every copper coin I have retrieved from here has been toasted, but still provides good info that you are in the right locality for finding those elusive silvers, plus indicate undetected ground. :)

I did try another scrappy looking area earlier in the evening, but even my short handled Lesche shovel had trouble digging through the cement like ground there - definitely best left for winter time.

Will be heading back to the beaches for the rest of the week as the tides become more favourable, and hopefully with some less sand to deal with.

Just have to ask yourself GP,... why four Florins(and the rest,... then the why, what, and where will all flow together(with the added research if needed)). Something happened to bring it all about. Happiest hunting.

Cheers and Beers.
Silver.

Did a bit of a double dip detect tonight, half on the wet sand and half in a park. It was good to see some targets now appearing at the beach for a change.

I hit a spot loaded with a few sinkers and coins, plus a YFC button (Youth for Christ), and a scales pendant that looks like silver, but the target ID is too low (mid 50's on the G2), it is quite heavy for its size (3.2 grams), and there is no oxidation evident on it, so who knows.

The big round goldie looking thing is a badge of some sort, doesn't appear to be any wording on it.

Looking forward to getting back out as the tides get a bit lower. :)

1425406509_img_20150304_040624.jpg

1425406527_img_20150304_040721.jpg

Pretty much did a repeat of the previous hunt tonight, headed for the parks after not having too much joy at the beach other than 300grams of sinkers. Plenty of BB's around, but eventually managed to pick up a 1951 HP, 1943 penny, and a neat 1943 threepence. :)

1425581671_img_20150306_051136.jpg

Good to see those oldies still popping up for you GP,...I find the revisiting of a once productive site(using hindsight as a teacher) usually brings forth a few extra little goodies that were still In hiding at the time.

I had a pretty exciting night tonight, I went back to the same spot where I found the pre-decs yesterday, and despite all the junk target I managed to find an old fob watch (my first), and two more silvers. The first was yet another 1943 threepence, followed by a 1926 sixpence in great condition. Also I picked what I thought was a 1c piece, but turns out to be a 1970 half new penny, plus a couple of nice old buckles.

I'm going to try and give the fob watch a hit of electrolysis to clean it up, hopefully all turns out well. :)

1425663221_img_20150307_035712.jpg

1425663246_img_20150307_035730.jpg

1425663269_img_20150307_035753.jpg

N I C E.... hunt GP, don't usually see the fobs come out as almost complete as that,... I'm not sure what they used to do with the ornate fronts(covers on them, but they are usually always missing.

The watch is currently doing well with some electrolysis, it had a fair bit of soil inside it, but managed to remove the rear cover and give it a clean out in the ultrasonic cleaner. So far it looks to be made with brass and copper parts, with the cover previously silver plated, I did check to see if the front cover was still in the ground, but to no avail.

I'll post some pics later when done. :)

I have pretty much taken the watch as far as it will go, the case is cracked and the innards are bent, so I reckon the dirt was literally holding it together. Nevermind, it was still a hoot to find. :)

1425698490_img_20150307_134739.jpg

I'm wishing that too. :D Funny thing is the night previous I was watching Antiques Roadshow with the missus, and a gentleman displayed a pair of very nice Swiss 14k gold fob watches. I said to the missus that I'd love to find a fob watch one day, sure enough, the next night I found one - bizarre! :eek:

Latest posts