Newby asking about machines

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi
Anyone any advice between gold kruser xp orx or similar vlf machines compared to pi is 5 times the cost worth it for an occasional hobbiest ?

If you are seriously wanting to find gold then a Minelab PI machine is your best option although I have seen people having considerable success with the Minelab Gold Monster whish is a VLF machine. I can't offer you advice on other brands but most serious prospectors will buy a Minelab PI. I believe the latest from Garrett, the Axiom is also quite capable and is also a PI machine. Most of these detectors can be bought second hand as they usually have a very long life expectancy.

When you say “An occasional hobbyist“ does that mean you would like to try gold prospecting or just treasure hunting. If treasure hunting a VLF machine would be fine but for gold hunting it will lead to frustration and disappointment and a quick end to your goldfield excursions from Mildura.
Go for a sure fire machine like a 2300. There are many on the second hand market for around $2k to $3k at the moment. IMHO it is just as good as more expensive machines in finding nuggets of the smaller size and often lots of them.
If you ever want to get more involved in prospecting by upgrading to a more expensive machine or giving away the hobby, you will have a machine that is readily resellable so the initial outlay is redeemable to a large extent.
Whatever you do don’t try to do any job with tools that are not up to the task.

i mainly use a gold pan but about 12 months ago i bought a gold kruzer detector to compliment my creek work
the kruzer has worked quite well in the creeks i have used it in here in qld
but a trip to vic earlier this year (whipstick/bendigo area )the kruzer with the highly mineralised soil there had the detector struggle badly
but with help from another member well versed in the use of detectors, tweaked it so it was just usable (not great but usable) it may work well in other areas in vic with less mineralisation of the soil(as where i use it here in qld)
as i wished to do more detecting and with the kruzer struggling, i recently bought a gpx5000 to do the majority of my detecting ,as with hindsight i should have gone the 5000 in the first place

Latest posts