Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Ive been meaning to join here for a while now so while fishing season is closed I'm keen to try something different,
I'm from the eastern suburbs but have an 80 acre block in Bealiba (right next to Goldsborourgh) in the central Victorian gold fields. Ive been collecting old relics for many years and just love the history of our little towns, i spend a lot of time on river banks or relaxing in the bush, there is approximately 73,000 acres of bush around the farm and I've only ever seen 1 or 2 prospectors. Being in the "golden triangle " i thought there would be a few more. I'm heading up to check the cattle and have a scratch around for the beginners luck nugget, ill get my permit sorted next week and charge up dads Minelab detector. In my collected relics ive got some old miners picks that ill bring back to life as well.
Does anyone know this area at all? What type of ground do i look for? Old dry creek beds, area's with quarts? Just anywhere? any help is good help..
Oh and yes, the Bealiba beast is real. There is an unknown animal that has a mighty "roar" early hours of the morning. Never been seen though but something is definitely out there!
cheers everyone

Welcome to the forum RB. It sounds like your block is in a sweet spot. There's nothing like being out in the bush and it sounds like you have plenty of it. it won't take long for someone to give you some details on what to look for in your area. Good luck with the beginners nugget. :D cheers Rick

Welcome rb, sounds like a ripper spot. 73,000 acres of bush on the property will keep you busy with the detector for a while :)

I've never been to that area, but my maps don't show too many diggings between Bealiba and Goldsborough - aside from close to each of those towns. But that doesn't mean there's no gold there, the may be other reasons why the old prospector's didn't go there.

Dry creek beds and gullies are probably a good start though.

Hope that helps...

Au Fever

Cheers fellas,
The farm is only 80 acres but it backs onto the bealiba iron barks forest witch is about 73000 acres. Theres a few old mine shafts in the bush left from the old boys, round and square witch i believe is the difference between the chinese miners and aussie miners? Heaps of very old medicine bottles and draft horse shoes.
Even found an old anzac badge after a minor flood.
I can walk the same track and every time Ill find something old.
I think the bush is mainly used for roo shooters and motorbike riders. Only thing i shoot is cats and foxs.

Welome rb enjoy to the fullest your 80 acres . I'm not sure where your situated I sometimes detect in the proximity of Bealiba at ( Tunstalls ) but some k's from Goldsborough . I've also driven through some diggings a couple K's south of Bealiba ( not sure of name of diggings )

Cheers
goldrat

Welcome rb, don't know a lot about Bealiba but know a bit about Goldsborough and surrounding areas. Don't know exactly where you are but could show you a few spots and give you a bit of my limited knowledge if you were interested. You could perhaps PM me and I could meet you at Goldsborough some time.

Welcome from another newbie! The Bealiba beast is something I hadn't heard of before but look forward to doing some research- love all those unexplainable things! Good luck with your hunt, I hope Mother Nature gifts you some goodies!!

Latest posts