New Member - Interest in Gippsland

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I've been reading this forum for many months and finally decided to give prospecting a go. I've been looking for a new hobby for a while now that can help me connect back to nature.
A little about me... I grew up near Bunyip and spent my school years in Warragul. My family moved to Neerim South 24 years ago. I live in Melbourne but try to get home regularly to see the fam.
I am particularly interested in the history of prospecting around Neerim, Noojee, Crossover, Tanjil, Willow Grove, etc.
I've been geeking out on old maps and historical records for sometime now and hoping to go bush soon.
Happy to meet other prospectors from mighty mighty gippsland and hope to share pictures of my find with this forum in the future :)
Cheers

Welcome Larkmill.
There is detectable gold around the Neerim area. The area has a history of old smaller gold workings, but nothing of the larger finds that a lot of history would be written about. Nevertheless a deep search of old records, local histories etc can surprise with information. Beyond that it is a matter of going out and looking for traces and sampling oneself.
Seeing that you family still lives in the area, think about joining the PMAV who have a West Gippsland branch that meets in Drouin. That may tie in with your family visits and allow you to meet with like minded prospectors.

Hi Hawkear
Thanks so much for your message.
It's timely that you mention the PMAV in Drouin as I was looking at the website yesterday.
Some of the documents I've found so far have been very helpful. I'm planning on going into PROV soon to see if I can find further information in the archives.
One problem I have is finding definitive boundaries on Parks Vic website (and other government websites) about fossicking areas for Gippsland.
I've marked the exempt waterways on my GPS, but Parks Vic don't appear have fossicking maps/boundaries like they do for Beechworth etc. The only useful resource I have found is the planned burns schedule and seasonal road closure lists for the area. Finding defined areas for Gippy woukd be useful. If not, is earth resources my best reference point with various map layers?
I am really looking forward to exploring the bush again soon in a similar manner to when I was a kid - going out at dawn, coming home at dusk, my mum hosing me off because I'm filthy with dirt and mud from head to toe 🤣🤣.
I really appreciate you reaching out. I hope to be able to share some cool finds on here in the future.

Hi Everyone,
I've been reading this forum for many months and finally decided to give prospecting a go. I've been looking for a new hobby for a while now that can help me connect back to nature.
A little about me... I grew up near Bunyip and spent my school years in Warragul. My family moved to Neerim South 24 years ago. I live in Melbourne but try to get home regularly to see the fam.
I am particularly interested in the history of prospecting around Neerim, Noojee, Crossover, Tanjil, Willow Grove, etc.
I've been geeking out on old maps and historical records for sometime now and hoping to go bush soon.
Happy to meet other prospectors from mighty mighty gippsland and hope to share pictures of my find with this forum in the future :)
Cheers
Hi mate. I'm also in Melbourne (Northern suburbs) but would be happy to join you on any prospecting trips up gippsland way. I'm also very new to the hobby but I seem to have caught gold fever.

Let me know if you want a prospecting buddy every now and then

Hi mate. I'm also in Melbourne (Northern suburbs) but would be happy to join you on any prospecting trips up gippsland way. I'm also very new to the hobby but I seem to have caught gold fever.

G'Day,
Also new to prospecting - 3 unsuccessful trips so far - Blue Pool, Lee Creek, BawBaw NP near Walhalla. Probably keener regardless. I live in Longford (VIC) and happy to join others. Let me know if you want to meet up. Also have 2 rookie mates as well. Interesting you mention Neerim South - my sister has lived there for many years. ABout time I caught up with her :)

G'Day,
Also new to prospecting - 3 unsuccessful trips so far - Blue Pool, Lee Creek, BawBaw NP near Walhalla. Probably keener regardless. I live in Longford (VIC) and happy to join others. Let me know if you want to meet up. Also have 2 rookie mates as well. Interesting you mention Neerim South - my sister has lived there for many years. ABout time I caught up with her :)
Pretty sure Baw Baw National Park is off limits to prospecting?
Happy to be corrected but it definitely isn't on the list of Parks Victoria allowable areas.

Hi 568. Will do. I'm still researching so I can maximise time in the bush but happy to meet up with people. Have you been to the Diamond Creek area?

G'Day,
Hey. For sure. I'm still researching some areas but I hope to get out bush soon... "about time I caught up with her" lol ... if she's anything like my sister, you might need some shiny yellow to make up for not keeping regular face to face 😆. Are you panning or detecting? What's your preference?

Pretty sure Baw Baw National Park is off limits to prospecting?
Happy to be corrected but it definitely isn't on the list of Parks Victoria allowable areas.
Hi Matt. Thanks for the reply. I thought I'd heard something along those lines but I can't find anything.
I wonder if ParksVic's reference to land use and land management by other agencies/councils is a loose reference to "we can't be bothered listing fossicking areas for SE vic, but we are happy to fine you".
I'll sus it out, and post any information I find out. Appreciate the caution you provided. I do not need the head damage of arguing a fine with a bunch of school captains in the big room per se.
P.s. no offence to any former school captains on this forum 🙄

Hi Matt. Thanks for the reply. I thought I'd heard something along those lines but I can't find anything.
I wonder if ParksVic's reference to land use and land management by other agencies/councils is a loose reference to "we can't be bothered listing fossicking areas for SE vic, but we are happy to fine you".
I'll sus it out, and post any information I find out. Appreciate the caution you provided. I do not need the head damage of arguing a fine with a bunch of school captains in the big room per se.
P.s. no offence to any former school captains on this forum 🙄
That's the thing. They do clearly list the allowable areas here:
https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/things-to-do/fossicking-prospectingAnywhere would be considered off limits.

Hi again. Thanks so much for this. I did manage to find a more helpful link on this site which I didn't notice before.
Public land reserves managed by DEWLP, agencies, local councils, and voluntary committees of management might be more useful to me at the moment because I can reach out to on the ground locals to better understand the land boundaries.
Apologies if I wasn't clear or if my message was annoying. Very grateful for the steer 👍

Thanks Jaros. This seems like a really nice forum. Looking forward to many cool conversations in the future
That's where I'm confused because the areas listed on the website are relevant to Parks Victoria managed land.
I can't find any information on land that's not managed by Parks Victoria 😖
Larkmill,
'
I am interested in the same areas as you being from Warragul but more on a historical interest level.
Have looked around Crossover a fair bit & found the main mine there but my main interest has been trying to work out if the rumoured graves site is there. No such luck so far.
My area of interest of late is Tanjil Bren & would like to visit the Crystal Pits up there. I didn't get a response here when I posted a little while ago though.

Regards,

Dave.

Larkmill,
'
I am interested in the same areas as you being from Warragul but more on a historical interest level.
Have looked around Crossover a fair bit & found the main mine there but my main interest has been trying to work out if the rumoured graves site is there. No such luck so far.
My area of interest of late is Tanjil Bren & would like to visit the Crystal Pits up there. I didn't get a response here when I posted a little while ago though.

Hey Dave... great minds, think alike. I'm trying to map out the area so I can share a useful resource for fossicking and prospectibg folk.
I'm not home in n/sth until late October but happy to share more info after that. My mum's new next door neighbour joined the historical society so I'll hit him up for the low down.

G'Day,
Not ventured as far NE as Diamond Creek as we havent got our act together yet. I can't drive due to Parkinsons Disease (buy am happy to pay costs for anyone with a spare seat) Flexible as kids all gone and wife happy to get some Me (her) time. Mates not so flexible - Mark works shifts and Matt has 2 kids and a wife to consider.
My email [Mod edit: For member security, personal contact details are not permitted on the forum]
Happy Hunting

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts