New member and newbie to prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Im new to the site, and a newbie to prospecting, based in Victoria, but like to absorb as much info as I can, including history. Reading Prospecting for Gold by Ion Indriess atm which is an interesting read first published in 1931. If anyone has any recommendations on great reads to shorten the learning curve. Thanks.

Welcome from Dave Booster, Mackka's right mate, no easy lessons, they're are some good people in the GT that offer great courses in Gold info for all types of prospecting, I've got a mate that did one and he ended up finding a patch that yielded over 2 onces in the Whipsticks, the course cost him $250 and that patch earned him 5 grand worth of gold and he reckons he would never have found that patch without the knowledge he learned from that course. Food for thought. Cheers and good luck :beer: :goldnugget:

G'Day DO

I have been looking for AU for going on a decade with no joy, but on the bright side, lots of good exercise !!!

Dave's Office said:
I've got a mate that did one and he ended up finding a patch that yielded over 2 onces in the Whipsticks, the course cost him $25

Would you mind giving me a bit more info. ?

If it is not for public consumption, could you IM me your email address ?

TIA

Dave's Office said:
Welcome from Dave Booster, Mackka's right mate, no easy lessons, they're are some good people in the GT that offer great courses in Gold info for all types of prospecting, I've got a mate that did one and he ended up finding a patch that yielded over 2 onces in the Whipsticks, the course cost him $250 and that patch earned him 5 grand worth of gold and he reckons he would never have found that patch without the knowledge he learned from that course. Food for thought. Cheers and good luck :beer: :goldnugget:
Thanks Dave. That sounds like a good way to pick up some quick knowledge. Will take a look. :Y:

saau said:
G'Day DO

I have been looking for AU for going on a decade with no joy, but on the bright side, lots of good exercise !!!

TIA

Ten years no gold ? :eek: Damn thats dedication and persistence. Kudos to ya

Booster said:
Hi everyone, Im new to the site, and a newbie to prospecting, based in Victoria, but like to absorb as much info as I can, including history. Reading Prospecting for Gold by Ion Indriess atm which is an interesting read first published in 1931. If anyone has any recommendations on great reads to shorten the learning curve. Thanks.
Welcome and your certainly in the right area re plenty of good places in Vic :Y:

saau said:
G'Day DO

Dave's Office said:
I've got a mate that did one and he ended up finding a patch that yielded over 2 onces in the Whipsticks, the course cost him $25

TIA
It was a guy that runs geological courses for prospectors, I think he's based in Dunnolly, my mate used the knowledge he learned to identify the ground where he found that patch and he's still finding gold elsewhere. I was going to check out the course myself until the Border closures stuffed everything up. Good luck saau. Cheers from Dave :goldnugget: :beer:

Hi Booster
I can recommend Brough-Smythe's Goldfields and Mineral Districts of Victoria as a good bedtime read if you can get a copy from your local library. I have the 1979 reprint version (not for loan) but there are later cheaper reprints that libraries might have for loan.
If you can take a laptop to bed also consider a CD set purchasable from the Mines Dept. which had the old predigital mapping by the Geological survey of Victoria. It covered, Goldfield maps, geological quarter sheets, published and unpublished geological parish plans, and heaps of reading with the memoirs and bulletins of the survey. It was over a hundred dollars over twenty years ago but I am still pouring over it with the ability to zoom in on all the old often unreadable remarks on areas of interest.
Maybe this may also be available from your library and possibly now on a card or flash drive.

Welcome from Dave Booster, Mackka's right mate, no easy lessons, they're are some good people in the GT that offer great courses in Gold info for all types of prospecting, I've got a mate that did one and he ended up finding a patch that yielded over 2 onces in the Whipsticks, the course cost him $250 and that patch earned him 5 grand worth of gold and he reckons he would never have found that patch without the knowledge he learned from that course. Food for thought. Cheers and good luck 🍺 :goldnugget:
From another newbie Anna, there’s a course? Didn’t know that! I’m just in the dark as to settings cterra up

G'Day Anna

there’s a course?

Depends on if you are in Oz, could still be a long drive to GT, they have tag along on WA and from my research they seem to get a lot more .au, but they are often for weeks away not days :)

Latest posts