Hi from a golden triangle local

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I’m a golden triangle local who finally has some time to learn the art of prospecting - something I’ve always been interested in but with a young family have not been able to pursue yet. I feel like it combines my interest in local history, adventure and the environment. It’s been amazing to come across this site and all the discussion posts as I start learning the vocabulary / techniques / reading the landscape etc - thankyou, all the info is exceptional.

Any suggestions on where to hire some starting gear to have a taste with would be much appreciated - I’m picking gators, a pan and pick may be starting essentials, building up to a detector.

Any info on whether the red volcanic soils of Trentham East which these days yield amazing potatoes and truffles, may be worth a little sticky, much appreciated!

Thanks everyone. Loving the YouTube clips I’ve watched so far and all the forums.

C

Goodate bloke, call in and see Dean @ DD Leather will have plenty of info but take money :oops: as don't reckon you will leave his shop without buying some of his great gear 👍

Hi, Potsy - welcome to PA.

Potsy: Any info on whether the red volcanic soils of Trentham East which these days yield amazing potatoes and truffles, may be worth a little sticky, much appreciated!
You can use the Search function in the top right-hand corner of your PA screen, to look up previous discussions mentioning a district. I looked up Trentham, because I had no idea where it is and found heaps of references, so you're clearly in a likely locality.

Good luck with your prospecting!

Hi, Potsy - welcome to PA.

You can use the Search function in the top right-hand corner of your PA screen, to look up previous discussions mentioning a district. I looked up Trentham, because I had no idea where it is and found heaps of references, so you're clearly in a likely locality.

Good luck with your prospecting!
Thanks G, I’m really enjoying the research.

Trentham borders on the Blackwood goldfield which has produced historic nuggets but maybe now restricted for detecting and panning. Daylesford to the west is still producing detectable nuggets so maybe do some research around there. Most here would feel lucky to be so close to goldfields like those and others so good luck.

Trentham borders on the Blackwood goldfield which has produced historic nuggets but maybe now restricted for detecting and panning. Daylesford to the west is still producing detectable nuggets so maybe do some research around there. Most here would feel lucky to be so close to goldfields like those and others so good luck.
Trentham itself has produced some decent nuggets and the reefs are continuous with those ar Blackwood to the south. I used to prospect in the forest between the two but as you say it might now be restricted. Some of the only decent-sized blue sapphires in Victoria come from around Trentham.

Trentham itself has produced some decent nuggets and the reefs are continuous with those ar Blackwood to the south. I used to prospect in the forest between the two but as you say it might now be restricted. Some of the only decent-sized blue sapphires in Victoria come from around Trentham.
Fascinating! I didn’t know that about the sapphires. Thanks goldierocks (great name btw)

I know! Very lucky to live so close - that’s why it has been frustrating not to be able to get out looking yet!

These are from Blue Creek, about 3 km west of Trentham and north of Blue Mount. Largest in photo a bit over one cm. Derived from basalt of area. Sapphires are also common around Daylesford and Blackwood, and large zircons occur still in basalt at one locality I know near Daylesford.

1677465550119.png

Latest posts