Mount David state forest NSW. Anyone tried it?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am very new to prospecting, (havn't even been out once yet), and am thinking about giving it a go. I have been camping out at mount david state forest multiple times over the past year and will be heading out there again for about a week this coming friday. I have also been reading up on the basics of prospecting for about a week now. My main question is has anyone here tried prospecting or panning at mount david state forest as it seems there are 4 old mines within its borders and im fairly sure at least 2 of them were gold mines. now i'm not going to be going into any of these old mines due to lack of gear, experience and information but i know of a few creeks that I have been thinking of trying my hand at panning in. the reason I ask is because there is a lack of information on anything to do with any of these mines or prospecting in general in this state forest. Any information, advice or personal experiences is greatly appreciated.
Cheers

First thing to do is get your State Forest Fossicking permit (if you haven't already):
https://firewood.sf.nsw.gov.au/FossickMain.aspx

Mt David map:
http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/510739/fossicking-area-map-mount-david-state-forest.pdf

The only info I can find is that there were quartz reef mines around Mt David & Mt Crockwell. May be worth investigating the creeks around there - not sure, haven't been there myself but there are a few people on here that get around the area. The Oberon area seems to be pretty fossicking friendly, once you have a forest permit, with plenty of options though.

Oberon area fossicking:
http://www.oberonaustralia.com.au/imagesDB/wysiwyg/oberon_lga_2007.pdf

oberonaustralia.com said:
1.Little River Fossicking Reserve. Between the two bridges and opposite junction of Abercrombie and Shooters Hill Roads at Porters Retreat. Find: Sapphires & Zircons.
2.Campbells River Causeway. Forestry maintained camping area on Campbells River Road. Find: Sapphires, Zircon & Gold.
3.Sapphire Bend. Riverview Road second turn left on Abercrombie Road after Black Springs. Find: Sapphires, Zircons & Occasional Industrial Diamonds.
4.Sewells Creek Causeway. Travel out Sewells Creek Road to causeway Fossicking area on right hand side of the road. Find: Sapphires, Zircons & Gold.
5.Native Dog Creek. Two access points from State Forest Roads. Drive in at Riverview Forest road left side of road after Foleys Creek road, Drive in a short way, old mine shaft for Gold. Travel on to where you meet up with Beaconsfield road, turn right travel 1/2 km then turn left and follow the road to Native Dog Creek. Find: Gold, Zircons & Sapphires.

Any place with 4 mines tells you that it wasn't just sampling that occurred in that area. Someone was finding something good to keep digging in the area. So you are in a prime spot to find something magic.

The Bathurst 250k Metallogenic map shows quite a lot of alluvial workings in the area, I'd say it's a good spot to try, doing some panning is the only way to find out for sure. Give it a go next time camping there.

Most of the reef mines in that area did give good gold but due to the hardness of the the host rock it
had to be fired before crushing there are a few creeks in the area but most of them are on private land
Happy Hunting..GR...

Due my limitation to do day trips only, I have been going to Oberon area for my prospecting. Although I haven't been to Mount David SF I must say the only success I have in that general area was finding sapphires at Sapphire Bend.
Kar

Unfortunately I had to cut my trip short by a few days. I didn't really find anything except for what I believe may be obsidian. Black rock with a glass kind of reflection to it. There are a few other areas I want to try next time I head out there. I'm just wondering if that might be a good or bad sign or neither?
Cheers

Latest posts