Request for Feed Back on Subaru Outback or Forester Experiences

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

I am tempted by the Outback Wilderness released in Oz in 2024.

Trying to find a Draw/Bed system that is easy to install and take out.

Any suppliers in Oz?

Regards

John

Hi All,

I am tempted by the Outback Wilderness released in Oz in 2024.

Trying to find a Draw/Bed system that is easy to install and take out.

Any suppliers in Oz?

Regards

John
Hi John.... I have been using Drifta drawer and kitchen systems for all my vehicles and campers for years. These guys can design and build any custom setups you care to imagine and made to last. Have a browse through their website and you’ll see what I mean.
https://www.drifta.com.au/4wd-drawers/

Looked at one this week, Outback and I would have signed on the dotted line but they wanted to rip me off by $10K on a trade in. I have been dealing with them for 24 years , business and private, but all the known people have gone and the young bloke didn't understand loyalty, so I am going to move on and never buy another car from them. 3 personal and 12 company cars. Sad but true.

Hi John.... I have been using Drifta drawer and kitchen systems for all my vehicles and campers for years. These guys can design and build any custom setups you care to imagine and made to last. Have a browse through their website and you’ll see what I mean.
https://www.drifta.com.au/4wd-drawers/
Thanks,

Will have a browse.

If no good then a good carpentry course is on the books!

regards

John

Do Foresters have a full sized spare tire? Which years? If not, can it be modded to fit a full sized spare?

My Forester was a 1999 2L Auto model I think. It was not modified in any way nor would I want to. It took us everywhere we wanted to go and did a lot of it towing a trailer. I couldn't have asked for a better vehicle. The ground clearance is adequate for anywhere there's a track. Tyre choice was important because some radial tyres produce a lot of road noise on course tarmac. The best we had were Continentals, not the longest lasting but beautifuly quiet.

Casper,

How have you found the ground clearance on the Forester?

regards

John
X2 what Moneybox said, "ground clearance is adequate for anywhere there's a track". And in an earlier post I offered, "always take the chicken track" and if that is not an available option then switching to a "technical driving" approach, ie taking particular care with wheel placement complemented with some road building to even out the deeper ruts and holes will get you thru.

X2 what Moneybox said, "ground clearance is adequate for anywhere there's a track". And in an earlier post I offered, "always take the chicken track" and if that is not an available option then switching to a "technical driving" approach, ie taking particular care with wheel placement complemented with some road building to even out the deeper ruts and holes will get you thru.
And seeing that we are prospectors and we are carrying picks anyway, so fix your little creek crossings up to make your track more accessible.

I've got a 2007 non-turbo SG9 Forester dual range 5 speed with 280K's on it and still going strong.
With the SG non-turbos you can usually expect to have to replace the head gaskets around 100 - 150K. Other than that, they tend to be very reliable.
Ground clearance can be improved with a lift kit - mine has a 2" kit from Subieliftoz in it. Higher lift kits are available, but not recommended due to the increased risk of premature front CV shaft wear.

This is from the US, but still a good general guide to buying 2nd hand.

Full size spare on the 2020 Forester. Great little vehicle, just need to get used to all the noises and alerts from the safety features of the latest vehicles. Mid 2025 there will be a Hybrid model coming out which uses the Toyota Hybrid system as opposed to the crappy Subaru Hybrid system currently being used. Is available for pre-order now if you are interested.

regards Axtyr.

Bundyjd + Axtyr,

Yep, sure are a lot of options.

Hybrids seem to be gathering favour.

So maybe a manual Subaru with low Ks util a Hybrid comes out?

regards

John

None of the Hybrids come with any spare at the moment, only a puncture repair kit. The battery sits where the spare used to be.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr,

Hybrids in the bush a bit of a moonshot atm, but no doubt one day but not this decade.

ICE for me.

regards

John

All,

So I am short listing the Subaru Outback as my vehicle (hopefully the Wilderness if it comes to Oz).

Now I am seaching for a good offroad camper trailer ( 1 man ) that would suit the areas on WA that searching for gold I will be travelling to and through.

Any tips?

regards

John

Latest posts