Request for Feed Back on Subaru Outback or Forester Experiences

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in the situation where I need a new vehicle (not brand new unless I hit pay dirt!)

I have been considering a Subaru Outback or Forester.

I need a daily vehicle to carry the occasional passengers and also for propsecting.

Yep - I can hear the gasps of the Ute drivers…

But does anyone have any experiences with these vehicles in the bush when prospecting.

I will not be doing any hard core off-roading or rock crawling, just the usual unsealed dirt roads and tracks.

All input greatly appreciated.

Regards

John

I am in the situation where I need a new vehicle (not brand new unless I hit pay dirt!)

I need a daily vehicle to carry the occasional passengers and also for propsecting.

But does anyone have any experiences with these vehicles in the bush when prospecting.

I will not be doing any hard core off-roading or rock crawling, just the usual unsealed dirt roads and tracks.

Regards

John
My brother has been driving them for about 20 years some of the early one had head casket problems but has had 3 of four over years he loves then good o
off road around the hills of Kempsey

I have one identical to the one in this YouTube clip.
All I can say is they are very capable off road. Just shoe them with some good all terrain tyres and they will get you where most 4x4’s can go. Ground clearance is their only issue, but with a lift kit you’re good for most conditions.

I’ve had a Forester for years now and it’s performed well in all kinds of conditions, sand, mud and snow, rough terrain. The only time I’ve got into trouble was when I was driving beyond my skill level and without the right gear, i.e. getting bogged in a snow covered drain without snow chains! I’ve even lost traction on two diagonally opposite wheels while going through ruts and the car kept on going.

Hope that helps.

I have one identical to the one in this YouTube clip.
All I can say is they are very capable off road. Just shoe them with some good all terrain tyres and they will get you where most 4x4’s can go. Ground clearance is their only issue, but with a lift kit you’re good for most conditions.

I totally agree with OzzieAu. I am on my second Subaru Forester, a MY2010 bought new and it has just turned over 352,000 kms. I've been all over the Vic High Country in it, in all seasons, and the same with the previous one also bought new. Always take the "chicken track" (I'm old school ie preserve your vehicle) but if the situation does get narly and there is no way out but forwards concentrate on your wheel placement and slowly pick your way thru. Join the offroadsubarus forum - you will be surprised just how capable they are.

Last edited:
I am not certain but I read in the RACQ or priv print that they were the hardest to serice when outback
An interesting comment - Subaru don't use exotic fluids or non standard tyre sizes, the only difficulty i can think of would be getting the right engine oil filter cos they're tiny. I carry a spare in the spare wheel well. They seem to be sized to suit the oil change interval and in my experience if you go over the service interval the filter very soon after goes into bypass and will leak at the gasket. I plan to do a remote filter conversion and run a "common as muck" Z9 Filter.

My wife has a Forester which has just clicked over 270,000km. She’s had it from new and it’s never missed a beat nor let her down (in Perth).

When we lived in Karratha, I bought an old 1800 Subaru second hand, and did probably another 80,000km in it. I regularly took it out on the Burrup Peninsula as well as throughout most of the the coastal tracks from 40 mile (south of Karratha), and up past Cossack, Wickham, Roebourne & Point Samson (and everything in between). Also went out bushwalking in the Millstream Chichester Nat Park many many time. I occasionally got turned back by high rocks because I didn’t have much ground clearance, but as far as dirt, sand, mud and general rock, I went wherever I wanted. Saw a lot of country and killed a lot of fish with that poor old car.

My experience with them has been fantastic, however, like any vehicle, I’m sure there’s other opinions out there.

I bought my first Subaru 4WD 1600cc wagon in 1976. It travelled Australia with the 1968 FJ55 LandCruiser and did a magnificant job. The tyres were the only thing that let me down due to sidewall cuts in severe off-road conditions. When we came out from the single men's quarters at Shark Bay Salt, Useless Loop the Subaru would be dripping with dew when clean vehicles beside it were bone dry. Then we did a stint working in Roebourne where the Subaru used to take us across the salt flats where others feared to tread. The final result was that I left it with my mother in Brisbane when I moved to WA in 1982 and she had to retire it when the driver's seat fell through the floor from rust. Its now buried in the back gully at Upper Brookfield but it was one of the best vehicles I've owned.

I bought a 1990 2L Forester Auto and it went all over Australia as well but spent a lot of time with the race car trailer hooked to the towbar. Other times it was a trailer loaded with 4 dirt carts. It was a brilliant vehicle off-road, the auto and very flexible suspension made all the difference. Overall it did something like 450,000km before I sold it on to a friend. It was another great vehicle that I couldn't fault although they are not the cheapest vehicle on fuel consumption.

I landed my first Subaru on its nose when travelling too fast on a new sand drift between Crayfish Bay and False Entrance on the Shark Bay peninsular. The radiator was wrapped around the front of the engine and the cross-flow radiator lost its fins between the tubes where the fan blades went. We used a chain and jerked the radiator supports forward enough to run the engine and drove it back over the sand dunes back to Useless Loop where we strapped it down to a huge steel ramp and stretched it back into shape using the 8000lb winch on the LandCruiser. That repair lasted the life of the Subaru.

Those early Subarus were as unbreakable and reliable as any vehicle can be.

Last edited:
Thanks All,

My take on all the replies is that "older" Subarus have served well.

Just make sure you change the oil and service it well.

The Chicken Track is a given.

But I still have a nagging doubt about the CVT.

I have watched YouTube videos which pretty much reflect on all the above.

A futher complication is that the Wilderness version is launched here next year with the lifted suspension.

Or is it a pre CVT low Ks outback....

regards

John

Yeah, that Wilderness version would be the bee’s knees mate... if only I could afford one. :p.
As far as the CVT trans is concerned with the latest models I think they have beefed them up for better reliability.... anyway with a new one you’ll have warranty if you have trouble.
The earlier models from 2013/14 onwards I think all have cvt’s. I definitely wouldn’t tow anything with them.
My 2010 was one of the last available with a 5 speed dual range manual gearbox. So if you’re old school like me and can handle a gearstick, well they’re pretty bulletproof.
Good luck with what ever you decide on.

I totally agree with OzzieAu. I am on my second Subaru Forester, a MY2010 bought new and it has just turned over 352,000 kms. I've been all over the Vic High Country in it, in all seasons, and the same with the previous one also bought new. Always take the "chicken track" (I'm old school ie preserve your vehicle) but if the situation does get narly and there is no way out but forwards concentrate on your wheel placement and slowly pick your way thru. Join the offroadsubarus forum - you will be surprised just how capable they are.
Casper,

Just joined the Offroadsubarus Club, thanks for advise.

regards

John

Casper,

Just joined the Offroadsubarus Club, thanks for advise.

regards

John
I'm happy that you are happy........ my name on the OffroadSubarus Forum is "onebob" I post less frequently now only because I don't venture off the bitumen in the Suby so much since I got my Land Rover thirteen years ago but that'll all change tomorrow cos the LR is parked up whilst the transfer case is being rebuilt AND the Suby will be transporting me to my favorite creek for a day of sluicing......

I fondly remember the old 1600 Subaru I did half a million miles in when I was far younger. On the rare occasion I got stuck, I used to be able to pick up the back end and move across to a better bit of ground. Be nice if modern cars were this light - it’d be even better if I was still as young and as strong.

Regards

John
I've had an Outback for a year now, it has been great for prospecting around Vic. Goes really well off the road and its safety features are top notch.

What size motor is best for all round use?
The Subaru boxer engine is a really great & well-proven design. I’d go for pretty much any of them. Not entirely convinced I’d buy a turbo one however, but thats just my own bias - I’d happily buy a turbo-diesel, they’ll last forever, but a turbo-petrol not-so-much. Like I said, my bias, I’ve worked on big diesels much of my life (mind you, they were usually locomotives so what would I know).

Latest posts