Missing Prospectors & Other Persons Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigWave said:
Nightjar said:
Obviously this family were well prepared, no injuries so it didn't warrant EPIRB activation.
An EPIRB activation would have resulted in an earlier exact area rescue, and not a wide area search and multiple press releases as resulted. The family will still be air lifted out, so would have happened faster, with less cost and anxiety on family/friends if they had let off their EPIRB. Pride only IMO.

...a big statement from you SmallWave. Have you ever used an EPIRB or know the limitations of their effectiveness.

They're safe - an excellent outcome.

casper

grubstake said:
casper said:
...Have you ever used an EPIRB or know the limitations of their effectiveness.
casper

Which 'limitations' are you referring to?

There might be already a topic discussing EPIRBs and PLBs - we should discuss there.

casper

http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/activation/index.asp said:
When and how to use your beacon
Two-way communications via a mobile/satellite phone or radio is the most effective means of communication when in a distress situation, with some of the reasons outlined below:

Instant confirmation that the call has been received by emergency services;
Ability to communicate position, nature of distress, required assistance;
Emergency services can adequately scale response assets according to required assistance;
Ability to provide updates on the situation and also receive advice until emergency services arrive.

If two-way communications are not available, then a distress beacon should be activated in situations of grave and imminent danger. This equates to when you feel you are facing a life threatening situation. This is a personal decision that is different for everybody.
Personally I think they did the right thing not activating it - they were well prepared & supplied + there was no immediate life threatening situation. They obviously were comfortable they weren't in any grave or imminent danger - just hopelessly bogged & running late.
Good to see a happy ending & some well schooled/prepared explorers although they may add a satellite phone to their kit?

mbasko said:
http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/activation/index.asp said:
When and how to use your beacon
Two-way communications via a mobile/satellite phone or radio is the most effective means of communication when in a distress situation, with some of the reasons outlined below:

Instant confirmation that the call has been received by emergency services;
Ability to communicate position, nature of distress, required assistance;
Emergency services can adequately scale response assets according to required assistance;
Ability to provide updates on the situation and also receive advice until emergency services arrive.

If two-way communications are not available, then a distress beacon should be activated in situations of grave and imminent danger. This equates to when you feel you are facing a life threatening situation. This is a personal decision that is different for everybody.
Personally I think they did the right thing not activating it - they were well prepared & supplied + there was no immediate life threatening situation. They obviously were comfortable they weren't in any grave or imminent danger - just hopelessly bogged & running late.
Good to see a happy ending & some well schooled/prepared explorers although they may add a satellite phone to their kit?

;) We're on the same page mbasko.

casper

By all means if children or any one is missing please post it.. :)
We can remove it when the person is located if needed or edit the
first post to remove any names.

Just heard, on Police radio, a local police member is heading out to Possum Gully Road, Linton to have a look for a missing prospector.

Had to get the Blues Brothers in to assist with bathroom cleaning, so didn't hear what happened but no mention in last hour or so, so guessing it's all good.

Can't get lost in that little patch. If you fall down a shaft though, could be a different story. I was out there 2 days ago digging right next to a mine shaft, picked up a strong signal within the mine shaft itself about 600mm down. Turned out to be a rusty hand forged nail, would have sworn it was virgin soil, really thought I found a retirement nugget........... Damn!! I hope the missing prospector is OK

Latest posts