Missing Prospectors & Other Persons Tasmanian

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah undoubtedly prepared, undoubtedly prepared to call out a rescue service that a map compass and common sense should have been able to sort. Stupidity should come with a bill for costs.
Things are changing.There was a time when I would not venture off-road unless I had a one-is-to- one hundred thousand ordnance survey map and a compass. I also had a GPS receiver (only used once) so that at any time I could confirm my precise location and a Personal Safety Beacon (now known as an EPIRB) which I never had the need to use.
I still have a trunk full of maps covering every place I have ever gone off road. Most of these maps I bought from NATMAP, the National Mapping Agency.
A major problem now is that with people relying on electronic aids, the demand for maps has dropped so sharply that NATMAP is no longer economic and has stopped making maps available to the public.This is a major concern because they had an excellent postal department and could deliver maps, at short notice, to anywhere that had a mail service. All one needed was a freely available catalogue of map availability.
Forestry departments tend to produce excellent map coverage of State Forest areas and other agencies produce bush-walking maps. Many publications include "mud maps". "Gold and Ghosts" is a prime example of this type of publication. The loss of NATMAP facilities, however, makes it much more difficult to get magnificent terrain coverage of unfamiliar areas and increases the need to rely on electronic aids.
Progress is not always beneficial.

Lets not over complicate the situation we are speaking of here. The two concerned going by the search area were within 20K of the North coast of Tassie and that's not mentioning the surrounding towns rivers and roads also within 20K. They were not in the middle of WA or the Sahara desert, in fact given their surrounds in all honesty you would not even class it as remote? All they had to do was determine North and they hit the coast, not even a map required? Once again it's not rocket science it's merely common sense. Electronic aids good or bad will never compensate for common sense I'm afraid. Truth is they probably ran out of smokes or needed a beer so made the call. Anyways will leave you with it as it's probably just the fact given current economic times i'm sick of having my pocket lightened by others for easily avoided reasons. Not sure if many realise what that call out would have cost in cold hard cash? Cash that we are all paying for 🤔 Cheers
ps Note ! They were found Safe and Well, a brain and their two legs they could have simply walked out of there and could only add if you don't have the skill sets on how to find your way in the bush then don't go there. Once again the fix is so simple.

Last edited:
you have got that right about the maps GP
a bloke would be flat out trying to buy a road map from racq here in town
let alone any other maps

Ok I'll run with that Goldie, no sun for days and they are in a dark abyss and surrounded by trees. As any old bushy knows, trees are all you need to show you North. My dad taught me that stuff pre school age. He was a timber man all his life. So as said it actually is that simple, you just need to know what your looking at 👍
PS Thought I better edit to add, in case all the trees have been cut down the rings on the remaining stumps will still show you which ways North 🤔

View attachment 8554View attachment 8555
Yes, my grandfather was a timber-cutter in the southwest forests of WA. Moss on the south side works except in dense forest where there is moss all over 🤔

Yeah moss can be hit an miss, bark thickness and rings don't lie but ;) Anyways their home now and perhaps a lesson learn't
I reckon so - I have done some stupid things but got myself out of them, primarily because requesting assistance was too embarrassing. Also because if you tie up rescue services for anything less than life-threatening, you might cause a tragedy for someone else.

Surprised we got no explanation of why they caused the search rather than find their own way out.

Wow there is a lot of people down on these guys.
So easy to judge that they should have found their own way out (or shoulda carried maps and compass etc etc) but we don't really know the full circumstances and there will be always ten different opinions about how they could have done it different. In their judgement, knowing all the factors they faced, they considered themselves lost in difficult terrain and needed help. Pulled the pin on the PLB. Found safe. Found quickly. Good outcome in the end. It says a lot for carrying PLBs. So far as I am concerned PLB is essential kit. In the event of an emergency it saves time and resources.

So far as I am concerned PLB is essential kit. In the event of an emergency it saves time and resources.

Don't believe at any time anyone has questioned that or implied otherwise? I feel the emphasis is more on people need to become more responsible rather than rely on others and in fact also placing others in danger due to their own lack of responsibility?
Perhaps also the judgement you speak of regards their knowing the factors faced should have been used before leaving home?
But this is just my opinion / take on it all, perhaps fueled by being witness to it far to often. 🤔

Last edited:
So far as I am concerned PLB is essential kit. In the event of an emergency it saves time and resources.

Don't believe at any time anyone has questioned that or implied otherwise? I feel the emphasis is more on people need to become more responsible rather than rely on others and in fact also placing others in danger due to their own lack of responsibility?
Perhaps also the judgement you speak of regards their knowing the factors faced should have been used before leaving home?
But this is just my opinion / take on it all, perhaps fueled by being witness to it far to often. 🤔
People should be aware that so long as there is a phone network, there is an emergency app that you can use with one press that gives your coordinates to emergency services. Just not satellite. We dont know the full story Bogger, but obviously many of us feel that many such things could be avoided by better preparation and continuous monitoring. I spent days helping SES locate a prospector at Combienbar a decade ago. He did have some excuse that he had damaged his ankle, but I felt he was badly prepared and he spent 3 nights in the rain, in thick forest. A lot of people put in a lot of time finding him safely (probably worth mentioning that included a lot of "greens" who spent days of their time). And many like me had to forgo income for those days.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-12-08/no-sign-of-missing-gold-prospector/2366696

Last edited:
We had a situation over here some years back. I guy who we'd met at a week long Muster near Kookynie had been prospecting in that area for years. On this occasion he got lost or at least disorientated to the point of not being able to return to camp at the expected time. His wife who rarely left the camp raised the alarm however the prospector never bothered triggering his PLB because he knew the area well enough to know that he'd eventually get out. He did but not before a huge search was carried out over four days. He knew he was ok but nobody else did. If he'd have set off his PLB it may have been embarrassing but it would have prevented a lot of lost time and money.

We had a situation over here some years back. I guy who we'd met at a week long Muster near Kookynie had been prospecting in that area for years. On this occasion he got lost or at least disorientated to the point of not being able to return to camp at the expected time. His wife who rarely left the camp raised the alarm however the prospector never bothered triggering his PLB because he knew the area well enough to know that he'd eventually get out. He did but not before a huge search was carried out over four days. He knew he was ok but nobody else did. If he'd have set off his PLB it may have been embarrassing but it would have prevented a lot of lost time and money.
I have a SPOT device which permits three types of signal message (which can be programmed in with a laptop). One is the standard all stops out signal to emergency services. Another is "fine but delayed". All use a satellite not a phone signal, as with a PLB (that I also have).

Has been some great points, opinions and experiences raised in this string 👍 One hopes that it does make people think a little bit more about being prepared for a situation they may very well find themselves in. I guess it's like improving your chances of finding gold, research and preparation being the key 🤔

Wow there is a lot of people down on these guys.
So easy to judge that they should have found their own way out (or shoulda carried maps and compass etc etc) but we don't really know the full circumstances and there will be always ten different opinions about how they could have done it different. In their judgement, knowing all the factors they faced, they considered themselves lost in difficult terrain and needed help. Pulled the pin on the PLB. Found safe. Found quickly. Good outcome in the end. It says a lot for carrying PLBs. So far as I am concerned PLB is essential kit. In the event of an emergency it saves time and resources.
Yeah we can all speculate till the cows come home but hey, some good points have been raised in the discussion whether they apply to these two fellas or not. Having a PLB is wise and using it does require discretion. Reminds me of a time when a mate at work came in on Monday with a story about how he came across some Dutch guys heading to the overland track in Tas who had just activated their beacon, why, they were low on fuel!!!

Yeah we can all speculate till the cows come home but hey, some good points have been raised in the discussion whether they apply to these two fellas or not. Having a PLB is wise and using it does require discretion. Reminds me of a time when a mate at work came in on Monday with a story about how he came across some Dutch guys heading to the overland track in Tas who had just activated their beacon, why, they were low on fuel!!!
It would have been costly fuel - around a $500 surcharge last I heard.

RB re ( around a $500 surcharge last I heard.)

From Mr Google
(Who pays for PLB rescue?
This thread has some conflicting information about who pays for rescues once a PLB button is pushed. "PLBs are supported by COSPAS/SARSAT, no subscription needed and rescue is free as its a non profit network.30 Mar 2022)

My PLB only will be used as a last resort, after Telstra Phone, Sat Phone....

It would have been costly fuel - around a $500 surcharge last I heard.
Apparently they were worried they would miss their flight out of Launceston the following day. I reckon $500 between three backpackers is cheap for the convenience, maybe a grand would be a better surcharge.

RB re ( around a $500 surcharge last I heard.)

From Mr Google
(Who pays for PLB rescue?

This thread has some conflicting information about who pays for rescues once a PLB button is pushed. "PLBs are supported by COSPAS/SARSAT, no subscription needed and rescue is free as its a non profit network.30 Mar 2022)
Mr Google should NEVER be relied on without further checking. This is what the responsible Australian authority AMSA (Australian Maritime Safety Authority) says:

AMSA.jpg
AMSA2.jpg

They are reasonable with reasonable people, and they don't want people to risk their lives if that is even a possibility (being hopelessly lost qualifies, or being unable to notify people who are expecting you home - because a search would probably ultimately be initiated anyway and a beacon reduces the time to find you and a lot of worry).. Also, if you accidentally set it off but immediately notify them of the error, or stand in an exposed place where they can immediately locate you, they will not charge, But stupid stuff (like missing a ferry) would get no sympathy.

I liked the one where a cow activated one that had fallen out of a helicopter....not sure about that one....

If you have a mobile phone with you, and you consider yourself lost, a good method todo is ... change your" missed call" message to the fact you are lost and if possible a co ord of your location. Van if you have no coverage, anyone ringing you will get that message when you don't answer

If you have a mobile phone with you, and you consider yourself lost, a good method todo is ... change your" missed call" message to the fact you are lost and if possible a co ord of your location. Van if you have no coverage, anyone ringing you will get that message when you don't answer
But you need phone reception to change your message? 🤔

Latest posts