Missing Prospectors & Other Persons Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love a good mystery, with respect to the loved ones left behind of course. Actually I wouldnt even stop at mysteries, theres quite a few high profile aussie crimes/cases that despite due process still have some intrigue and aspects of contention around them.

Fairly certain Im not the only one compelled by them.

Heatho said:
Hopefully not another Belanglo.... :8

:argh: I had the same thought I certainly hope not I love this part of the country and have spent many weekends and weeks camping 4 wheel driving and fishing a big part of it. It isn't out of the question unfortunately until evidence is found for the families of those missing I hope evidence is found sooner than later, no doubt it plays on the minds of the investigators.

RM Outback said:
Heatho said:

:argh: I had the same thought I certainly hope not I love this part of the country and have spent many weekends and weeks camping 4 wheel driving and fishing a big part of it. It isn't out of the question unfortunately until evidence is found for the families of those missing I hope evidence is found sooner than later, no doubt it plays on the minds of the investigators.

Yeah. You just never know. I was planning a solo trip around there for about a week this time last year. Wanted to test myself above the snowline and see what it would be like.
Due in part to my laziness and a couple of other things I never got around to it. Sort of glad now.

Hard Luck said:
RM Outback said:
Heatho said:

Yeah. You just never know. I was planning a solo trip around there for about a week this time last year. Wanted to test myself above the snowline and see what it would be like.
Due in part to my laziness and a couple of other things I never got around to it. Sort of glad now.

Should change your name to Good Luck. Might be one of the best non trips you ever made.

Hard Luck said:
RM Outback said:
Heatho said:

Be very careful and well prepared going into this country either above or below the snow line at this time of year especially solo and even with others. If you get yourself into difficult circumstances you need to have all the gear and the smarts to put yourself back on track. There's places I won't go to at this time of year for safety reasons it just isn't worth the risk and I strongly recommend if you haven't driven in this country in the worst weather or driven any challenging 4 wheel high country driving DON'T do it solo. Even the best bushies won't go in to parts in a vehicle at this time of year, if you do and you end up in trouble you will learn a very important life lesson if you make it out alive. The best time of year is Autumn due to river heights (predominantly at their lowest levels) and limited rainfall if it is forecast for heavy rainfall you might find yourself marooned for upto a week or more if rain persists. I know people who are well experienced and well equipped who have been stranded for 4 days.

Nah, 1 of the safest places in the world, the Victorian high country, unless you're on your own. Like scuba diving, you never dive alone, up there you never hike alone, too easy to fall/slide out of sight, break a leg/ankle and in most of it there's NO mobile reception, nada.Then you're in deep doo doo .
The 2 single people vanishing, the 1 with the car probably had a stroke, fell/rolled down the steep slope so far that he wasn't seem/found before the dogs, the single hiker, same thing , over estimated his ability and fitness, broke a bone/ankle, good night nurse.
Not the 1st nor will they be the last to "vanish" up there.

The couple that "vanished" nfi, but if I was betting person I recon they'll turn up somewhere, someplace, and it won't be in the "high country"

Just my suspicious old age working

And Iv'e been fishing up behind Omeo over xmas and it's snowed, enough to put you in a lot of trouble if you wasn't ready for it

RM Outback said:
Hard Luck said:
RM Outback said:
Heatho said:

Be very careful and well prepared going into this country either above or below the snow line at this time of year especially solo and even with others. If you get yourself into difficult circumstances you need to have all the gear and the smarts to put yourself back on track. There's places I won't go to at this time of year for safety reasons it just isn't worth the risk and I strongly recommend if you haven't driven in this country in the worst weather or driven any challenging 4 wheel high country driving DON'T do it solo. Even the best bushies won't go in to parts in a vehicle at this time of year, if you do and you end up in trouble you will learn a very important life lesson if you make it out alive. The best time of year is Autumn due to river heights (predominantly at their lowest levels) and limited rainfall if it is forecast for heavy rainfall you might find yourself marooned for upto a week or more if rain persists. I know people who are well experienced and well equipped who have been stranded for 4 days.

Respect RM.
I had no intention of trekking around. Just finding a quiet spot nearish some town and camping there. I would have had plenty of supplies, sat phone , plb, and of course tell everyone where I would be.
Just wanted to see if I could handle the cold.
I'll be staying put now.

No joy, I'm afraid (from 9NEWS):
1615255964_wrong_drone.jpg

The case was on TV and a bunch of investigators were trying to solve what was going on . Someone mentioned the "Button Man" had been seen in the area.

Danny13 said:
The case was on TV and a bunch of investigators were trying to solve what was going on . Someone mentioned the "Button Man" had been seen in the area.

Button man was questioned by detectives and they are convinced he has nothing to do with it.

Upside said:
Danny13 said:

Button man was questioned by detectives and they are convinced he has nothing to do with it.

I reckon he'd button his lips if he did.

Latest posts