Minelab X-Terra 305 TID's, tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my first detector today. Got a xterra 305 to practice on and to see if detecting is my go. Had a muck around in backyard and within five minutes got 20 cent piece. About ten minutes, five targets 20 cent piece and 2 of the nephews toy cars. Pretty happy with buy. Gunna learn on it for a couple of weeks then get a whites gmt and then hopefully a sdc2300. These detectors should keep me happy for a while.

blaze16 said:
Got my first detector today. Got a xterra 305 to practice on and to see if detecting is my go. Had a muck around in backyard and within five minutes got 20 cent piece. About ten minutes, five targets 20 cent piece and 2 of the nephews toy cars. Pretty happy with buy. Gunna learn on it for a couple of weeks then get a whites gmt and then hopefully a sdc2300. These detectors should keep me happy for a while.

Sounds Like you got the Bug, Congrats on your new Machine, I bet you can't believe that all this time you have been walking over those items and now you have them, Cool isn't it,

The GMT is a Killer on small Gold and it will even Pick up the Salt in your Hand, I'm Picking up my second one next week, It will serve you well out in the gold fields, Another one to check out is the MXT Pro because it is a Duel Purpose Machine and the GMT was Made from the Development of the MXT and not the other way around as Quoted by Many,

From What I am reading here the SDC gives you one of the Best Bangs for your Bucks in recent years and there are many people here to make sure you pass your Pilots Licence in using it,,

We Even Keep Nenad Locked away here Deep within the Vaults (He's Prospecting Australia's Version of the Stig) But don't tell anyone that it was me who Told you, OK

Good Luck,

PS:- Some Say he has Coils in his Feet,,,,,,and when asked where was his head phone socket women Blushed,,,,

All we Know He's Called THE PHASE

Have been doing a bit of research and i think I'm picking the right detectors. Just upgrading as i go. Taking it slow getting to know how to use the lesser machine before upgrading. Learn to find coins in town before upgrading than going bush to find gold. I think I'm going about it the right way.

blaze16 said:
Have been doing a bit of research and i think I'm picking the right detectors. Just upgrading as i go. Taking it slow getting to know how to use the lesser machine before upgrading. Learn to find coins in town before upgrading than going bush to find gold. I think I'm going about it the right way.

That's the way to do it, and your machine can find anything, the secrete is Putting your Coil over it, So don't ever think I wont find the Good Gear, and try to remember what numbers come up on different targets, And when its raining and you cant get out get your self a little note book and test Items indoors like
coins and rings etc and write down what the numbers are, Fine silver items and some coins will give you the same readings as Pull Tabs so don't discriminate them out and set the Disc just above where it knocks Nails out, You will dig some trash because the numbers will match good items but you will also dig Good Items as well, and carry that note book everywhere and if you do find something good write down the Numbers when it was in the ground and once you have dug it because the ground Matrix can cause you to get a different set of Numbers. after a while they will be burned into your memory and you wont need it so much, Ok,,I still carry one even now just in case or just to write down setting, That book is most important at this stage Ok,

Good Luck.

Thanks thats a great tip. Thats what i like about this forum. People eager to help other people out with great advice. Most of the research i've done has been from the forum from people willing to share their experiences wheather good or bad.

Just another thing to remember is that small gold rings come within the same figures as Pull Tabs/Ring Pulls and there are at leased 4 types of ring pulls and they will give you 4 different sets of Numbers,
Any other Questions you have don't be afraid to ask Because the only Stupid Questions are the Ones that are Never asked, Someone will always be here and glad to help,

Good Luck

The other thing is there a number of different $1 coins
As well that were made which can hit as different numbers.

Don't solely go with id numbers because these all change
Depending on depth of target as well.

Good to see you have a action plan regarding the detector purchases, and even smarter that you are starting on a basic detector before upgrading.

There is no denying that there is a decent amount of skill level required to get the best out of your detector, so the more hours you can rack up, the better.

Learn what the tones are telling you and you should get a good handle on the 305, the vdi's will help target identification, but as mentioned, don't solely rely on them alone. Being proficient at identifying various tones should help carry over into the gold detecting side of things, as most gold detectors rely purely on tones vs using visual id's.

Have fun, and I hope you have some success in the future. :)

Gday guys,

quick question on the manual GB with the 305 and 18.75 coil on the beach.

When I had the stock 7.5khz coil on and I did the GB on the beach, I could hear the 2 distinct tones and balance it quite easliy, usually at around 5-6.

Now I have the 18.75 coil on and I do the GB, I am only hearing one tone, and no matter what I set the GB too, the tone barley changes at all, I tried fiddiling with the sensitivity, but not major change.

Is there a trick to doing the GB with an 18.75 on beach or is hearing a single tone through all GB setting indicating it is already pretty well balanced?

I did find some small pull tab targets in wettish sand down about 3", so its obviously working, just want to make sure I have it working at its optimum.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ungy

Hi Ungy, you've just witnessed the limitation of the 305. The 505 would be better due to its finer GB setting, but I think what is really needed is an expanded GB range, which is what the Beach GB mode is on the X-Terra 705.

So, not much you can do with the 305 unfortunately. Just set the GB half way, use a bit of discrimination, and adjust the Sensitivity accordingly.

cheers,

Nenad

Thanks for the response Phase, makes alot more sense now....Maybe I should have stumped up that few extra hundred $....

Already have my eyes open for an upgrade, thinking a Etrac or 3030 might be in order, keep the 305 for my mates when they want to tag along, it still finds stuff, I just want to go deep n accurate :)

Thanks again for the info!

If a nugget is large enough and shallow enough and the ground that it's in is unmineralised enough, then probably yes. But unfortunately there aren't likely to be many nuggets like that still waiting to be found.

Its performance on small gold nuggets is improved dramatically with the addition of an 18.75 kHz coil but the ground balance is just too coarse. In certain soils it is difficult to get a perfect balance. The 505 is much better in this regard but it can only operate in a discriminate mode, even if you select All Metal. The prospecting mode on the 70/705 is better again as it provides better depth and sensitivity.

I see the x-terra 305 has now been discontinued from the Minelab range. The 505 and 705 will remain, but the 505 now sells for $499 as the new base model.

Maybe there is something else on the drawing board, personally I don't think any of the Go-find range should be considered as replacements, not even the bottom rung 305. Either that or sales of the 505 are really slow, and they are trying to get rid of stock. Seem quite rare to see a 505 owner, they either opt for the 305 due to budget constraints, or spend a bit extra for the 705 for its additional features, auto GB and gold ability. I know I would do the latter over a 505.

its a confusing entry level lineup. minelab offer 1 of 3 afforable, plastic go finds, or for an extra 100 (over the gofind60) they can get a proper detector, the 505. Mind you, if they are buying at a large sports/camping store, price will win, as they all find pots of gold anyway :rolleyes: