Minelab X-TERRA 70 Target IDs, tips, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave14110

David Gothard
Reaction score
1c - 42
2c - 42
5c - 8
10c - 10 / 12
Ringpull - 16
20c - 20
50c - 22 / 24
$1 & $2 - 32
Aluminium twist top cap - 32
Half penny Penny - 42
Not sure on silvers have only found couple this year & can't remember lol
Gold varies & dig all under all metal mode when looking for the gold Or I us my GP Extreme

Maybe this could be added as sticky also & people might be able to add to my list of ID's

Real quick your on the ball. these types of things will be great for others learning to detect.

dave14110 said:
Real quick your on the ball. these types of things will be great for others learning to detect.

I agree, thanks for providing the info.

Thanks for this thread. Makes such a difference now when I go detecting with mine. :)

In my opinion the X-Terra 70 is une of the best coin and relic metaldetector on the market, especially for pin pointing.
Cheers

Stuck a few coloured stickers on mine, it helps when the concentration/memory is momentarily elsewhere.

1375051062_5-p3026614_400.jpg

ivanll

Thanks for the info. We are eagerly awaiting delivery of our X-terra 705 so this is a great help to get us started!

Thanks also for the posts, I'm new at this and need all the help I can get. :)

Hi guys,

quick question...

What would be a good price for a 2nd hand xterra 70 be?

cheers,
Ben

Hey Nugget...I'm picking one up for $350 on Friday apparently in excellent condition

I know it's not a 705...but it's $500 cheaper and I can put a coiltek coil on it :)

bargain. dead easy to use. runs on four AA. you will need to learn to play with the sensitivity. DDs are the best choice on the Vic fields. Go very very low and very very slow. they also have a few snazzy things to play with and screen readings that will indicate what you are on (numbers setting). Light weight - great for kids - great for the beach. they are not a toy and a very good starter detector. They have the beach and prospecting switch and auto tracking etc.

If you get it put up a post for settings and techniques questions and I will send get some details for you.

Bingo said:
Hey Nugget...I'm picking one up for $350 on Friday apparently in excellent condition

I know it's not a 705...but it's $500 cheaper and I can put a coiltek coil on it :)

You can't go wrong for $350, a good buy especially if its in excellent condition.

Cheers guys...I'm really excited!

I hope everything goes smoothly and the guy doesn't back out of the sale.

I'll definitely put up a post when I get, cheers for the helping hand Loamer :)

The way I see it is even if I want to upgrade in the future the 70 would still be a great beach machine and I'm hoping I could possibly make the $350 back in the not too distant future finding coins in the parks/beaches.

Thanks again.

No worries Bingo. My grandson runs one and has found some beaut bits and pieces. When I go and about without him I take it and use it on reef dumps chasing species (gold in quartz) when doing recces to find spots to take him. I think you will find several of the forum members run a VLF of this type with PI detectors. If nothing else they are a great pinpointing machine when you are running a big coil on the PIs - the 70 also has a cracking pinpointer built in. The speaker is OK especially if you are detecting in a group so everyone can hear what's going on. The speaker uses a wee bit more power, thats the only downside but with good AA you should get at least a day. Despite some views, you can run these flat out - thats everything at max on quiet mullock heaps - sensitivity at 30 on the detecting mode (generally the white stuff you have no doubt seen.) I am just chasing up some settings I wrote down and will send them to you.

Excellent...being new to all this i was a little nervous whether or not I was making a good decision. I'd read to buy the best you could afford, but I though this was too good to pass up.

Can't wait to try it out :)

Bingo - its a good decision. I have said this many times - these are excellent learning machines. These VLFs are noisy on highly mineralised ground - that's just a fact of life. You will be amazed on what you will find. They have a definite niche on the gold. They are fun. They work. I am working on those notes for you.