Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good on you GW! Welcome to the SDC club.

Gotta love the fact that you can detect all day long in the drizzle, particularly in Summer. The SDC seems to love damp ground. The signals seem to brighten up with slightly better ground conductivity.

Don't let those tiny lead bird shot pellets get to you when they show up, that just means you're the first on that ground with the SDC! :p

Good luck and all the best with it!
Regards,
Shauno.

I've been reading a lot about the minelab SDC2300 detector, did you find it easy to use? I'm looking for a detector easy to use and to find small gold as I can't be bothered to dig a big deep hole in the hot Australian country.

Neo said:
I've been reading a lot about the minelab SDC2300 detector, did you find it easy to use? I'm looking for a detector easy to use and to find small gold as I can't be bothered to dig a big deep hole in the hot Australian country.

Yes the SDC is by far the easiest machine I have ever used.

aussiefarmer said:
mine also falsies if I make sharp movements or bump a stick etc , is this common with detectors or do I have something loose ?

I find this happens occasionally. Generally bumping into a very small bush or hitting something anomalous (probably swinging too fast)

1457919198_hotrocks.jpg

I've come across quite a few hotrocks so far (Some bits of gold too, which is nice). Generally I've kept them and will have to get a dolly pot, or something similar, to find out what's in them ( I don't hold much hope).

But whilst out the other day I got a reasonable hit, so I dug, the hit got a bit louder, so I kept going. It got to the stage that it was screaming in the hole, and the pile of dirt I'd dug out was screaming in spots too. I'm assuming that it was just a load of hot basalt or something similar.

So I am now deferring to the wealth of knowledge in the forum. What are the rocks? And what do I do in a situation like this? Keep digging? Or as a great band once sang "giveitaway, giveitaway, giveitaway now!"

Hi TM they look to me to be a country rock/ironstone mix. Doesn't look like basalt.
I've found gold in very similar looking ironstone rocks with the SDC. The ones with gold tend to have a stronger signal on one particular side. Also if you smash them with your pick & the signal dissappears as the pieces get smaller then those will be hotrocks. If it remains in a particular bit then you will more than likely find a nice little nugget hidden within.
I wouldn't be too worried about smashing them - the gold is what your chasing & worth more than the rock :D although I did keep some ironstone speccis that I've since sold. IMO most speccis of any type are not worth any more than straight gold nuggets unless they have some unique or rare feature sought after by collectors - an example would be crystalline gold on quartz.

Thanks mbasko.

I have been smashing the rocks as much as possible, keeping the bits with stronger signals (I'm starting to get quite a collection!). I have just never come across hotrocks in such concentration and with such a strong signal before. Still, I've only been in this detecting caper for a few weeks.

Thanks again.

Dick smith closing down sale 80% off the NiMH Batt C 4500mAh 4pk only $8 There a good supply in my local DSmith so I'm waiting for 90% off :)

Damn, they're getting cheaper, I got mine 70% off I think. I gave them a go yesterday and they ran all day, still had a bit left to go in them when I decided to go home - about 8 hours of detecting so good as an all day battery pretty much.

Not one left at Point Cook because I brought the lot which was 8pks for $36 :lol:

There will be 3 on our crew that are heading to Tibooburra soon so there should be no down time charging with that lot. :cool:

Thought I'd check out the local DS in the hope of getting a few more batteries, picked up 5 packs containing 4 batteries in each for $40. You can't beat $8 for 4 rechargeable C batteries. I have enough now to detect for 8-9 days with the SDC 2300 before needing to recharge the lot. That'll do nice for some future trips.

Thanks for the tip colmaca, I got the last 3 packs at the local store.$8 a pack

Gotta luv a Closing down sale, sad but true. Plenty of great bargains now they have hit the last week or so..
Will hit the local DS n grab some rechargeables as well ..if any left..:)

Latest posts