Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome GW, it's different but I'm sure as soon as you find a nug with it you'll be stoked, it is an excellent detector just has it's certain quirks is all. The armrest is the biggest pain but most people just mod theirs with a bit of pipe.

Hope it works well for you.

Yeah it certainly makes a big difference when it picks that magic channel, can take a while but is worth trying to get it dialled in at the start of each session.

With your first issue , I had the same issue ,I actually thought something was wrong with my machine ,in one location it was great then down the road it was going crazy with no planes, power lines, fences around so rang mine lab they gave me insight as to what might be happening and as the rest of the guys mention its emi , abbreviate what basically they said, they are very sensitive machines ,even certain times of the day can have effect on them and said different Times of the year also
But try the same location if you can during the night
And see if there is a difference and should tell you if something is wrong.
well worth having a chat with them(mine lab) to get more of details that natural sources can cause emi

Regards,
Mick

aussiefarmer said:
Electric fences send my sdc full retard :rolleyes: as with power lines.
My batteries are taped and firm and bumping rocks seems to make it signal sometimes aswell.
Windy days or days above 30 make it impossible to make it run fully smooth , it is still useable but need to double check every false and if its not consistent every pass its just falsing .
The best tip i got was to pump it as fast as you can when noise cancling and maybe for upto a minute and low as possible , when i was pumping slow i thought the green button done nothing but now i can fully settle it in most cases.

Next time you have an issue AF, try the noise cancel button and keep trying until it selects a quiet channel, some days it will still be a bit chatty but it should still pick a quiet channel eventually. Then do a careful ground balance and it should be purring.

Try to ground balance like this too mate. I found this vid helped me, different detector but exactly the same concept.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WU2YZeeKYc[/video]

Heatho said:
Awesome GW, it's different but I'm sure as soon as you find a nug with it you'll be stoked, it is an excellent detector just has it's certain quirks is all. The armrest is the biggest pain but most people just mod theirs with a bit of pipe.

Thanks mate, yeah did a fair bit of reading about it over the last couple of weeks. My wife has been showing some interest so feel this will be good for her to use. Have a patch where there was nothing over 4 grams but lots of nuggets maybe 100+ lots under a gram and very hot ground. Like a little kid have the 14 mono elite to try and a new SDC.

Doing multiple noise cancels will eventually calm it down enough anywhere in my experience. One of my SDC "patches", that I was still getting the odd bit of gold off right up until the week I sold it, is in part directly under powerlines or adjacent to them. It could still be a bit yippy & moreso if windy but you learn to work through it - I got numerous sub grammers off there.

Wow! This is fantastic folks, thank you all who took the time to comment, seriously appreciated.
It sounds like I need to sort the loose batteries out for a start so Phase Technical, i'll be in contact for batteries etc. I'm back out next week so the multiple N/C's will begin if I continue to get instability with the threshold. I'll keep you all posted with my results.
Again, thanks for all the help. Have a great weekend & happy hunting. :)

goldwright said:
Heatho said:

Thanks mate, yeah did a fair bit of reading about it over the last couple of weeks. My wife has been showing some interest so feel this will be good for her to use. Have a patch where there was nothing over 4 grams but lots of nuggets maybe 100+ lots under a gram and very hot ground. Like a little kid have the 14 mono elite to try and a new SDC.

Awesome mate, I'm keen to get one of those 14 elites, great coil considering all the excellent reviews it gets.

Sounds like the perfect patch for an SDC, if it's shallw on bedrock you should score well with it if you have done that well in the past. First patch I tried mine was a place that 2 5000's (myself and Syndyne) couldn't find a thing. He got there fist with his SDC and was getting nugs within 5 minutes. He rang me and said "go buy one and get out here", lol.

Hope your wife gets into it, great hobby to share.

dam it said:
One thing I found was that my pick belt was not needed when using the 2300
Yep, carry your pick in your hand, you'll be using it A LOT :lol: :lol:

i got a sdc 2300 and broke my headphones on the 1st day, yes it was replaced for free, had to buy the curved around extention to stop it from happening again. ran over an old patch near gilbert river and found a few pieces mostly subgrammers. While following my cousin with his 5000 along a river flat i picked up a signal and dug out a 24 gram alluvial ball specimen at 15 inches which melted in acid down to 19 grams with about a gram or 2 of quartz left on it. My cousin gridded below my find and bagged a 25 gram solid. beautiful piece. my machine has found 3 patches to his one patch and im liking the sdc alot. The modular for is compact but slightly awkward and the small coil is a bit of a pain- slow going but still it picks up gold the 5000 misses.A bigger coil set to this machine would be ideal but only if........
ive had the loose battery issue but toilet roll cardboard or tape fixes this easy and cant wait to go out again in this 6 to 8 month window for 2016.
2015 window bagged me about an ounce with 20 smaller pieces with 1 2.45 gram piece that looks like a sharks tooth :)

Hey Roscoe,

I've been searching for gold for about 2 years now with a number of different detectors with no luck. I've had my SDC for about a month now and have finally found gold so I'm now a huge SDC fan. I bought some Scotch tough no residue tape and put it on the knuckle where the coil joins the shaft as others have reported it gets pretty scratched up and worn after a while. The no residue tape is easy to remove and replace when it gets beat up. I've recently bought the adaptor lead and a LH-380 guitar amp which I'll clip onto my packpack for louder audio. I'll probably look at getting some sunray pro gold headphones for the cooler months too. Highly recommend a rare earth magnet in the pick handle for recovering boot tacks or rusty bits of wire quickly.

Avantree Saturn Pro Low Latency bluetooth units.
You need 2 - 1 for transmit (tx) from the SDC & 1 for recieve (rx) at the headphones or booster/speaker etc.
You'll also need adaptor leads to suit for 1/4" female to 1/8" male into the Avantree units for headphones + some boosters or 1/4" male to 1/8" male into the Avantree units for other speakers/boosters depending on your set up.

Well the SDC was just burning my hands not being able to use it. So took a chance this morning as most of the rain was falling on the coast, swinging the SDC by 6:15 under the drizzle, sensitivity on 5 bam first target about 4 inches down then another about 3 inches down. Ha Ha I guessed both where 0.3 gram each but was very surprised when I got home combined under 0.3 gram. This thing really is a patch cleaning up machine, only got about 3 hours in before the rain started again but didn't get to where I really wanted to try it so can't wait to swing it again soon.
1457144394_20160305_120609.jpg
1457144414_20160305_120912.jpg

Latest posts