Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has to be the easiest machine out the for gold Roscoe, good luck with the hunting, not that you need luck with an sdc... :lol:

The manual should be:
#1: turn on detector and place coil on ground
#2: dig gold.

Placing a single layer of masking tape around each battery will stop them moving about in the unit

Detectors seem to build up some static charge on the coil and regularly touching the ground seems to dissipate this before it builds up and causes a false signal. I have had the same experience with other detectors i have used in the past, i think its static build up?

Atomrat, I hope so mate, i hope so. I bought it for its versatility and especially its ability to pick up specimen gold. I can't wait until the weather settles down and i can get out there swinging it. :)

As a newbie with an SDC I'm seeking advice on an issue that I've had (only on 2 occasions) when out detecting.
I believe there are numerous members here having great success so I thought I'd ask your opinions?
Firstly, I was out at Chapel's today and found I could not get any stable threshold unless on 1, even trying 3,4 & 5 sensitivity? Another guy was up there and he mentioned EMI was pretty heavy? For the locals, is this a common occurrence at Chapel's. First time I'd been there, seriously overgrown.
Secondly, I found the detector would blank/false out and begin a noise cancellation when the coil was knocked up against shrubs and the occasional rock? It also would happen if I moved the coil quickly to scan a wall, if I moved slow it was fine? This has happened once before at JC though only intermitantly?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this and/or experienced it for themselves on the SDC2300? Cheers in advance! ;)

Hi JD , iv been using mine a few times at Kuitpo and she`s pretty good , it doesnt make bad noises when bumping rocks , be happy to meet at Chapel and compare sometime time just pm me havn`t had it at Chapel or JCreek yet

cheers Dave

Yeah, i was going to suggest it could be the batteries are loose which is typical with the sdc. I've wrapped a cloth bandaid around two of the four batteries and i insert those two last into the chamber. Since i've done that i haven't had an issue with it cutting out and restarting.

Chapel hill is a shocker for emi. Huge high voltage power line and a smaller power line and an electric fence. Interference with PIs is perfectly normal. Gpx with a DD coil in Cancel or high freq VLFs are the go.

You can use the SDC in there but not much of the area.

One thing I have noticed in regard to the noise cancel .... at one stage mine did it a couple of times ....... wasn't the machine or batteries ... was actually me and the way I was holding it, would occasionally just brush the NC button and off it would go.

In regard to batteries invest in a second set, try Phase Tech. for a decent set the fit well.

Good choice in detectors JD Gold, if you're in the right area, that machine will find em for you.

Cheers Tom

I have noticed when out detecting that sdc makes a falsing sound when there is a plane overhead. It happens with commercial planes and smaller cessnur planes, the cessnur is up there circling for hours at a time which is annoying, seems like maybe aerial survey of some sort.
Electrical fences play havoc and nearby detector sends it nuts but only within 50m or so.

JD Gold said:
Firstly, I was out at Chapel's today and found I could not get any stable threshold unless on 1, even trying 3,4 & 5 sensitivity? Another guy was up there and he mentioned EMI was pretty heavy? For the locals, is this a common occurrence at Chapel's. First time I'd been there, seriously overgrown.

EMI

JD Gold said:
Secondly, I found the detector would blank/false out and begin a noise cancellation when the coil was knocked up against shrubs and the occasional rock? It also would happen if I moved the coil quickly to scan a wall, if I moved slow it was fine? This has happened once before at JC though only intermitantly?

I would say it's the battery issue as mentioned above.

As Nenad said it will be EMI. I found i get a quieter noise cancel if i do it with the coil on the ground instead of holding it up like normal.

I think I read some where that if you have dirt under the skid plates you may get your symptoms ..... ???

EMI - a couple of us here use the sdc and we both get bad interferance when we go near transmission lines ....

Hi
AS mentioned above you are having 2 separate issue's, 1 is most likely EMI & that is something you will need to work on at each location, I do the NC with coil close to the ground as this is where you will have it when detecting if EMI is bad do it often!!

Issue 2, this "noise cancel sound/ sequence" is in fact a restart process caused by the batteries losing contact & therefore power loss momentarily, as mentioned wrap some tape around each battery as they are poor fitting within the housing this will prevent the issue for you.
It is a great detector, once you learn it you will be stoked.
cheers
Lee

With heavy EMI sometimes you'll need to do several noise cancels, 1 after the other until it quietens down, sometimes the first noise cancel just does not pick the right channel.

I had to do 4 in a row one time to get it to a usable setting.

A pain the rear but well worth doing. Once it finds that magical quiet channel targets seem to come in thick n fast - you'll never want to Noise Cancel again ;)

PhaseTech said:
A pain the rear but well worth doing. Once it finds that magical quiet channel targets seem to come in thick n fast - you'll never want to Noise Cancel again ;)

I have found that magic channel a couple of times, picked up 3 sub-sub-grammers in a spot I had swept thoroughly seconds before the retune. It was like I was driving a different machine.

Shame I couldn't lock it in as a preset. :( been thinking I should carry the same super-small test nuggets and shop around the tuning till I get a good channel. Never thought there would be a significant difference but I am convinced it makes a game-changing difference on the very small stuff.

Electric fences send my sdc full retard :rolleyes: as with power lines.
My batteries are taped and firm and bumping rocks seems to make it signal sometimes aswell.
Windy days or days above 30 make it impossible to make it run fully smooth , it is still useable but need to double check every false and if its not consistent every pass its just falsing .
The best tip i got was to pump it as fast as you can when noise cancling and maybe for upto a minute and low as possible , when i was pumping slow i thought the green button done nothing but now i can fully settle it in most cases.

Latest posts