Minelab SD2200 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave another thing that's worth looking at is running a 12 volt system a friend has had a few 2200v2 on one he was using a 12v system and he is doing the same on his extreme ,last extreme I had I done the same a 12v lipo battery with a regulator to 6.? volts I was very happy with the way the detector ran with a 14x7 nf its worth thinking about regards john :)

Depends where you are going to run it. The 2200D was never really happy running a mono coil at the best of times, so a more sensitive mono is likely to give you headaches. Best monos to run on the 2200s were 11-14", smaller or bigger and you'd run into trouble in my experience.

A 15x12" Commander or 15x10" Detech mono should run fine in medium ground, but in the hot stuff you'll need to go to DD.
A 15" DD Spiral Detech 2200 will kill your SDC for depth, but not on the small stuff.

I'm an agent for Detech and NF

You made the right choice in going for the 2200v2 over the gold racer in the GT Dave.
Running the Stock 11" DD you are already killing the SDC for depth on half gram and above, completely killing it.

DD's aren't used here in the GT for the sole reason they run 'quieter than a Mono.
They are used because in some of the nastier ground types they actually detect deeper pound for pound, due to a Mono's flattening out of the cone mid-depth, turning that cone into an ice cream container tub instead, and receiving throw back of the signal receive ....sometimes this isn't heard in the audio as ground noise because it's simply not detecting deep enough to get that audio feedback.

As Nenad has quite correctly pointed out, the 2200d's never did take to Mono's well here (I'll stand beside Nenad and go toe to toe with those that say otherwise) in comparison to DD's.
Regardless if you were running a sour or hot 2200d, you simply couldn't get full use of the unit on a hundred metre march with a Mono.

But you've got a 2200v2, the best of them. And you will find the 12" Nuggetfinder Advantage the finest all-around Mono to run with it. Any larger and you'd be in trouble, any smaller like a 6" or 8" and there's no point as the 12" on a 2200v2 will hit anything they will, only much deeper.

None of the 2200 series were the most sensitive PI's in the range. And I don't think you can make them into something their not simply with a coil change.

As for the latest crop of coils I've only had the 14" Elite on, and it was not a good match! The Evo's may run a touch smoother but I'd doubt it.

The Detech 15" Spiral DD just may surprise you though.

In all honesty I'd run your 2200v2 with the 11"DD you have and maybe grab a cheap 14" or try the new Spiral.

You've got a damn good hot ground deep seeking machine in the 2200v2 ....and matched with your SDC ...geez I'd be more than happy and confident in that gold hunting Combo.

Good luck with them...

Argyle, did you ever run a 15x12 commander mono on a 2200?
I found that was the smoothest running mono on a 2100. 14" Coiltek mono was a non event here on the 2200D, wailed and moaned terribly. But with a 14" dd pro was like a different detector!

15X12" DD Commander is another brilliant coil on the 2200.

PhaseTech said:
Argyle, did you ever run a 15x12 commander mono on a 2200?
I found that was the smoothest running mono on a 2100. 14" Coiltek mono was a non event here on the 2200D, wailed and moaned terribly. But with a 14" dd pro was like a different detector!

15X12" DD Commander is another brilliant coil on the 2200.

Hey Nenad, you know the 15x12's would have to be the most underrated coil on any machine I reckon. I was always hoping someone would bring out a fat elliptical for the range.
When you have a look at fat elliptical's like the Commanders, the Sadie and so called "Out of Round" small Nokta coils, they really do behave with a far better signal response and ground handling ability than skinny elliptical's.

I've had a Commander mono on a 2200d, not a v2, and it suffered the same 2200/mono moans. But they glide along the ground well. But the 15x12 DD definitely brings them back to deep seeking stability for sure.

Yeah the old 14"Coiltek mono was the first choice we all went for wasn't it. But gee, the wailing and moaning, and god help you if you went over a small wet clay dome, they'd shut down! Yet you'd still run into blokes that ran them all the time... each to their own I guess.

I'd pop a 14"DD back on quick smart. Then the Pro's came out, and Pro Elite....smooooth....and you could get back to beating the ground again. I agree, by far the best coil size and match for them. I'd go so far as to say the Commander 15x12 DD is just as stable yet more sensitive than the original 14" and Pro's.

Talking about 15x12 mono's on 2100's. A nuggetbusting friend of mine is selling one of his and I'm gonna buy it and run it on an old Crystal Mod 2000 soon (should be near enough exact performance)

I've got a minty new unused one for $160, posted in sponser trades section.

Let us know how you go with the modded SD2000. I'd like to see what a 15" Detech Spiral DD would do in bad ground.....

I can't wait to get a Spiral DD on it!
It's going to very interesting to see just how smooth a threshold it will hold over hotter ground and the difference in sensitivity between it and a Comm Mono on this unit in all channels.

Hi guys, well I have been reading up for months and finally decided on a second hand SD series detector. I was keeping a look out for a good PI detector to try in the golden triangle and other spots at some stage.
My patience has been rewarded!!!
I found a recently posted SD2200D the other day on Ebay - $1000 even shipped and from the pic looked in good nick.

Well, I was ecstatic when I opened the packageing when it arrived.....looks to be in excellent condition, no mods and hardly used by the looks of it, no scratches on the casing apart from the bottom where it gets placed down. Came with the minelab harness, and is fitted with an 11" Mono coil (I thought they came standard with an 11" DD??)
Either way I found a $100 11" DD for it and am just waiting for it to turn up.
Can't wait to get it out there and have a play.
Will post a pic once my ten posts are up.

After heaps of researching and reading up, I have ordered a B & Z Booster and speaker for it, but am wondering what to do regarding the battery pack? Must admit, old mate even put a new 6V Gell cell in the deal unbeknown to me, he had the receipt attached for me.

I am unsure whether I should stick with the 6V gell cells or try and get hold of a LiPo and a 7.2V voltage regulator. There seems to be units available Overseas, is there anyone locally (Australia) producing something for the Minelab SD models? I read that they run better and more consistant without a voltage drop and above 6V.

What are others using?

If anyone can help me with some recommendations/advice that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Elusive

Elusive you can run a 7.4 system on the 2200 there are a few way you can upgrade the battery system Coiltek have a system using camcorder batteries
Woody at Ballarat make systems. I made my own when I was using a gp extreme a 11.1 volt 7400 ma lipo battery will run the detector all day, a regulator 12v to7.4 v or 12v to 6.4v and a lipo 12v 240v charger regards john :)

I ran a 2200D for many years and used the light weight battery system by Peter Woodford [Woody] from Frankston.

http://detectormods.com/product/58

1464784171_capture.jpg

Thanks for the heads up guys!!
I'll suss that link out Redfin.....might ask him a few questions.

Thanks again,
Elusive

Hi Fellow PA people.

I have been playing around with power supply for my SD2200d.
I modified a battery from my Bosch Impact driver and put a power jack in the front of it. I bought a voltage regulator from Ebay and quickly threw it all together.
On my next week of R&R from my FIFO job I will be putting together a proper unit which can accept power from different types of batteries (12v Sealed Lead Batteries etc) That way while one battery is being used the other is being solar charged.
Here is the experiment so far ...
1465714199_20160612_143136.jpg

1465714199_20160612_142142.jpg

1465714199_20160612_142517.jpg

1465714199_20160612_142508.jpg

1465714200_20160612_142044.jpg

iv been offered a sd2200 today r they any good what price would be a fair price for the gold detector its looks brand new

They're a good old PI detector. Is it a Sd2200D (green box) or V2 (blue box)?
There are a lot who believe that the SD2200D is good enough to keep them for back ups etc. to their GPX or other machines. Mostly known for depth on good sized gold but they are also reasonably sensitive to gold down to around half a gram or even smaller.
They operate better in most mineralised conditions using DD coils but a mono can be used in various conditions.
For a good condition one with a few coils + other gear they can still fetch up to $1500 or maybe a bit more.
There are still a few SD2200 users & former users on the forum so if you do get it there should be plenty of help if needed.

Saw one on gumtree not long ago was in very good condition and it sold for $1200.

Latest posts