Minelab GPZ7000 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
douro said:
But your answer is certainly steering me towards the SDC. However, how would it go on the Len Beadell highways we plan to cover starting next year.

Do these areas change your suggestion in any way?
You'd still go alright & many people do good with the SDC over there. Personally if it was me I'd be reluctant to make the trip without a GPX or GPZ just for better depth. I'd still like to have the SDC on board though.
I've said on the forum before if money were no object I'd like to have one of each SDC, GPX & GPZ.

Thanks Mbasko for your time and frank advice,

So ...... will now chase up a good SDC deal and post pone Z purchase closer to our desert highways adventure.

Who knows, ML might drop the Z price and/or better still have incorporated Fe discrimination by then.

I liked your fishing parallel .
I call prospecting " Land Fishing " just like fishing a lot of hours spent and often little return.
However at least we will always get a bite!!!

I have 4 mates with boats as well always needing a first mate so both bases covered.

good luck scotty :) :)

Hey Scotty,

uhmm ....... you're not short on weekend choices then.

And do you ever get your hobbies confused and throw back all the undersized ones? ;)

What area are you from and which of your detectors do you grab first?

Ha Ha
Not short on choices just on time.
I'm in the Melb CBD but look around the GT Marybough and Heathcote areas.
Early days re the choice of detectors I try and bring along my son or a mate so we use both.
Only used them once or twice.
Going to the training classes in a few weeks so looking forward to that. I will learn a lot I think.
I have a 1/2 share in a 5000 with another mate as well.

Just have to find a few ounces ( one day )

Scotty

As Mbasko hinted at earlier..... training in the early days will eventually pay off. Even if it takes some time to reap in the expense it is nice to know that you and the machine are doing all that can be done! And in turn feel confident that you haven't wasted your time. But hey... time spent with your son is PRECIOUS.

All the best.

Carn't argue with that.
getting the lessons free ( ish !! ) with the purchase. doing it with the son who initially thought his old man was a wanker but now he and his mates love it.

best nugget ever.

good luck

Well I picked up the Gpz last Sat. Went for the bag and control box cover rather than the Go find 60. Headed to Ophir, camped overnight and then gave the Zed a run. Must have been doing something right as I was getting quite a few boot tacks and some shot. After about 4 hrs I dug up a .15g nugget, my first piece with the Zed.... Very happy and can't wait to get back out and dig up some more Ophir gold.

Just took the plunge and sold my 4500 and bought a 7 and lots of goodies thrown in. After using it for only 2hrs Monday (no gold), my first impression is the Z is like a SDC on steroids. Based on my initial experience I hope my SDC experience will help me along the way. I wasn't going to buy the Z so early however I am off to WA in 3 months so I thought I should givey self an early start to increase my chances of success over there. Can't wait to get my first colour with it. :)

mbasko said:
Steve Herschbach has reported the following from the GPAA Las Vegas Show:
Gary Schafer of MinelabAmerica announced that technology based on that currently available inthe GPZ 7000 is now in the labs with the addition of ferrous discrimination.
http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1713-gpz-with-ferrous-discrimination/

Gary Schafer of MinelabAmerica announced that a 19" - 20" coil is officially in the works & they are trying to keep it as close to the weight of the stock 14" x13" coil as is absolutely possible.
http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1712-19-20-coil-for-gpz-7000/#comment-20266

Was hoping that any discrimination advances would come via software update but doesn't sound like it?

Hey mbasko, just went to check out the topic regarding ferrous discrimination, but I think it got taken down, no what's going on there?

Cheers eve

Hi guys,

Just wondering were is the best place to purchase accessories for a GPZ 7000. More notably controller and control box covers, what sort of designs and styles are available

And if its not braking forum rules where to purchase from and what sort of price would I be looking at??

Thanks,

M3 :D

The GPZ certainly is popular at the moment though.

World wide its in great demand..:)
As is the SDC.

If it wasnt for my pinched nerve I'd a taken 1
out of stock for myself and been down the GT
over easter.

But thats life, so 2 in stock for sale..:)

Well after a lot of research and speaking to people in the know, I took the plunge and purchased the GPZ from Central West Prospecting Supplies. The gals and guys there were very helpful and even sold me a pair of new Redback boots after I realised I forgot to bring anything other than thongs!! :) opps. I headed straight to Tuena for a run with it.

I also have a CTX and I realise these are very different machines, however I felt confident using the computerised menu system etc. This is my first gold machine and I was like a kid on Christmas morning the first day I got to use it. I felt confident with the machine from the get go, but the learning curve is steady.

Well I found heaps of bullets, nails, gun shells and usual junk. Then finally on my last day I found April Fools Gold. No it was gold really... A nice, tiny specimen of quartz with very small outcrops of gold in it. I was so happy. I was very surprised the detector picked up the gold as it appears to be so small. But after thinking about it, there may be bigger pieces inside the quartz? I don't really want to break it open at this point. Needless to say I was very happy with my little find. I will post a pic after I clean it a little and use a macro lens!! haa :)

I cannot wait to get back out with the 7000 to find a real nugget :D

Here is the little specimen I found. The quartz piece measures about 2cm x 1cm x 1cm. The gold is tiny!! But I am still :)

1459667283_2016-04-03_16.43.45_resized_3.jpg

1459667283_2016-04-03_16.44.41_resized_3.jpg

Latest posts