Minelab Monster 1000 coil question.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Been experimenting a little with our new Minelab Monster 1000 with my 13-year-old daughter and had a quick question. Do you think it is better to go "low and slow" with the smaller coil or wave the big one around until you hit a good noise? I think it will take many hours for us to get used to the different pitches as it is a pretty noisy little thing. We have been trying Deep Metal Mode with Manual 10 or do you think fully automatic is better. Thank you for your advice. It is really appreciated!

Tanya

I reckon fully auto would be like training wheels while you're still learning how the Monster works. You can get into the details of the various settings later, as you build up confidence in operating it.

Hi Tanya.

Used to have a GM 1000 a few years ago and recently had a chance to use a mates that he was getting quite frustrated with. He just couldn't get it to settle down and was always "pretty noisy" as you mentioned above.

I provided him with the links below and also used the 'advanced workflow' that JP outlines in the first link. Using that the GM quietened down a lot and was actually able to find 3 really small bits of gold - we were on a very small patch that we had already got about 140 bits off with a GPX 6000.

https://www.minelab.com/anzea/community/treasure-talk/mastering-the-gold-monster-1000
The below doc is also worth a read. I agree with grubstake that using Auto to start with is probably the best way to go. Maybe then advance to Auto + as you gain confidence.

https://www.minelab.com/anzea/commu...-sensitivity-control-on-the-gold-monster-1000
Probably a couple of things to be aware of. VLF machines like the GM are reasonably limited when they are working in really mineralised ground. Trying to run sensitivity flat out in manual 10 will likely make things really hard for someone just starting out.

Trusting the 'Gold Indicator' on a soft, quiet target can be a bit sketchy. In really mineralised ground a small piece of gold at depth may make a 'beep' on the detector but it may signal as iron. It might not be until the piece of gold is closer to the coil that it actually indicates that it is gold. It is simply the minerals in the ground being so great that they override the gold signal. If it is a loud and booming signal and it is signalling Iron then you are pretty safe to assume it is iron.

Hope that helps and stick with it as it can take some time to master a VLF machine ;)

Cheers, N.E.

P.S. - re: the links above. For some reason they are showing on my screen as 'Stackpath'. I have no idea why. They are from the Minelab Treasure Talk series on their website. I have clicked on one of the Stackpath links and it does take me to the right place. Just in case someone thinks it looks dodgy and is worried about clicking on them 👍

Dear N.E,

Thank you! I really appreciate your generosity with your time and expertise. I will definitely read all this!

I'll throw in my 2cents worth, I got my GM to specifically nose around creek beds with the small coil, I suggest you use the bigger coil as you cover more ground, you won't lose that much small gold, it will get a bit ho-hum using the small coil when after 1hr detecting & you have only gone 5 baby steps, well, maybe a bit more but this can be frustrating, if your getting too much noise out of it (not target noise) drop the sensitivity, it's better to have a quiet detector until you get your ear in, read the links Northeast put up, we are graced to live in a country that is 'hot rock' central & a VLF detector luv's 'em, pushing the top stuff out of your way with a boot (NOT the coil!) will hopefully give you a target to dig, at this stage dig everything, use a notebook & make observations on the tone, what the target is & did it show ferrous or not, it's all info to learn.

Thanks so much for the advice. I have the patience to take five steps at a time but my daughter certainly does not so I think I will arm her with the bigger coil and use the smaller coil when it i just me out and about. Thank you!

Latest posts