Minelab GPZ7000 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PhaseTech said:
This is a perfect example of what I said in my report: "It takes a while to learn the Zed's language"

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/J4h-RgVNa58[/video]

This reminds me of going from a Sovereign GT to an E-Trac and A Person Has to forget all about the machine they have come from and go back to being a Novice Again, Where to only 2 things that are the same are the On and Off Switch.

I think it would be a good Idea If people took it out side an Pretended that they had never done this before and take the time just to listen to the machine as in signal response ETC,
I know a lot of people won't agree with this But I am sure Nenad Might Agree that people who have never used a detector before make the Best Students because they have not learnt any bad habit's, This is why I said about pretending you have never done this before, I am Sure it will work for all of you if you just give it a chance,

Good Luck,, John

mbasko said:
loamer said:
Don't shoot the messenger on this post - just reporting what has been on another forum. I think some of us can guess the test-pit so I have no doubt it's a very good pit. Also, I have also been told of this testing by some other people who highlighted the 1.56% improvement, which supports some other comments that the zed (7000) is marginally better. I guess we will all have to make up our own minds. I might add, this chart/report has caused a lot of chat.

"Day 1 tests on a 10 year+ established test bed (eroded gully with PVC pipes inserted in wall - typical Vic goldfields) 10 - 30 inches - gold nugget test targets
Day 2 swinging on a flattened lead with good variety of targets remaining."

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/981/1425379338_capture.png
That chart poses just as many questions as it seemingly answers.
Who are these experienced prospectors & why no names to it? What conditions, where? Why was difficult/general used on the GPZ instead of High Yield/Difficult (more comparable to fine gold)? How long had been spent becoming familiar with the GPZ?
I note theres a few people now saying they are slowly coming to grips with the GPZ & its not as "simple" as the simplified controls would have you think.
I'm still sitting on the fence but the optimist in me is saying the GPZ will win out & win us over eventually?

See reply #124 of this thread.

trashmagnet said:
yeah wolfy I did not do the graph, Robert and a few others from vic done it, they all have been detecting since the ark ran out of warranty, so they now what there doing and don't bother with air test's as air test's are a waste of time.
the test were done in hot vic ground.
all my comparisons were done on targets in the ground before digging.

i'll say again I'm NOT saying the 7k is crap. it's just not doing what was promoted it would do, not in vic anyway as it don't like very hot variable vic ground all that much.

jen yep I'm still up the air about it, even though I'm disappoint so far I'm hoping it somehow pulls something out of the hat as I like the idea of the machine, if the sales pitch had not been so talked up so much I think I would not be so disappointed.
it will pay for itself, just not in the way minelab said it would. not in vic anyway.
regards trashy
Problem is Robert has now come out & said he wasn't involved??? As Loamer said there has been a bit of discussion elsewhere about the "test".
http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t20957p90-not-impressed
One of the "testers" Robert named has also denied involvement???
So my questions still remain unanswered?

washgravel said:
Wow amazing....... small stuff at 1 - 2 feet deep..... so what size was the small stuff that you getting at those depths with your 7000.

Thanks for a reply,

washgravel

g'day wg,

.2g up to a little speci estimated @ 5g, which was the deepest.

Will be back on it tomorrow ;)

As Many have said that this machine Is Like A 2300 and A 5000, It seems that the 2300 side of things is working fine Because it is finding small surface gold but none of the deep stuff as was suggested By Minelab Prior to it's Release, The GPX series' are such Deep Machines and for another machine to come along and add 40% to that depth Is One Ballsy Claim, And So Far not one person has had their Old Patches Come Alive again As Promised or Implied and all they have found is small gold Like SDC Users have, Keeping your 5000s and Buying An SDC seems to be by far the better Solution and saving $7400.00 in the process.

I was kind of hoping this machine was all they claimed and seeing it as Something to Aim For, But until these Tests can be confirmed by Back to Back Testing by People here I think that None of you current Owners of the 7000 And Would Be Buyers should Not Take this Graph / Chart as Gospel, My thoughts are is some of you Guys could do some Testing Because 10,700 is no Laughing matter and if there is an issue with this 40% claim then People need to know in Order to prevent any more disappointment. But Most Of All It Would Stop A Lot Of Speculation, Along with giving Future Buyers confidence In Buying the 7k.

I see LS has had fantastic Results with his SDC and Good On Him, ( He Don't Need No 7k ) the mans Dangerous Enough,

Good Luck,, John

The great thing about this forum is that this debate has not become heated as it has in some other places (vitriolic springs to mind), so well done folks. I have actually seen some very good finds by a zed user, two reasonable nuggies, but as it keeps getting pointed out, these are in the hands of experienced prospectors. Give it time, as I clearly remember the 5000 got bagged out as only 'marginally' better than the 4500. I fully intend to hire or loan a zed as soon as possible and hit some old patches - problem is I have hit these with the SDC and got some nice little keepers out of one of my own 'flogged' areas. I rate the zed and the SDC but I am a realist enough to know that you still have to have an idea of what you are doing. One thing that has slipped through to the keeper, what will this thing be like once the ability to swap coils around become a reality. Then, I would imagine, we will see some better/different results? Is it my imagination or have I seen no results from WA or QLD by users? Probably too busy pillaging old patches (I hope so for them).

If you have bought one or are buying one - I wish you every success, the zed works! If not, plow on with the old gear, swap coils and settings, be patient and be prepared to be innovative in your search areas.

Ridge Runner said:
As Many have said that this machine Is Like A 2300 and A 5000, It seems that the 2300 side of things is working fine Because it is finding small surface gold but none of the deep stuff as was suggested By Minelab Prior to it's Release, The GPX series' are such Deep Machines and for another machine to come along and add 40% to that depth Is One Ballsy Claim, And So Far not one person has had their Old Patches Come Alive again As Promised or Implied and all they have found is small gold Like SDC Users have, Keeping your 5000s and Buying An SDC seems to be by far the better Solution and saving $7400.00 in the process.

Good Luck,, John

I'm thinking the extra depth on big deep stuff for the 7000 is not clear at the moment because it's only extra depth for that size coil, but the patches/goldfields have been hit hard with 16",18",20",24",25"and 40" coils for years. so we may not see the real depth until the new 20" coil is released as you can't expect the gpz 14" coil to compete with all the large coils that have used in the past.
maybe????
regards trashy

I believe what minelab are saying up to 40% deeper in certain conditions to be correct, why would they ruin there reputation for future models ,l don't think we will see a great deal of detail comparisons for awhile yet from the average prospect , why would you make it known to everyone that your finding plenty of deep nuggets in the known gold fields, not until your satisfy your got the most out of the area . Otherwise if there not proving themselves we would start to see plenty of them popping up for sale ,guys going back to there trusty gpx getting there money back

gold prospector said:
I believe what minelab are saying up to 40% deeper in certain conditions to be correct, why would they ruin there reputation for future models ,l don't think we will see a great deal of detail comparisons for awhile yet from the average prospect , why would you make it known to everyone that your finding plenty of deep nuggets in the known gold fields, not until your satisfy your got the most out of the area . Otherwise if there not proving themselves we would start to see plenty of them popping up for sale ,guys going back to there trusty gpx getting there money back

might pay to reread what I wrote, there going deeper for that size coil, but there not going to go 40% deeper than a 18 or 20" coil. that's why there not pulling big deep gold up
regards trashy

trashmagnet said:
gold prospector said:

might pay to reread what I wrote, there going deeper for that size coil, but there not going to go 40% deeper than a 18 or 20" coil. that's why there not pulling big deep gold up
regards trashy

Yet ! But wait til the 20 inch coil comes for the ZED and I am tipping some seriously deep holes !

Cheers,
Rick

Araratgold said:
trashmagnet said:
gold prospector said:

regards trashy

Yet ! But wait til the 20 inch coil comes for the ZED and I am tipping some seriously deep holes !

Cheers,
Rick

yeah mate, with a bit of luck there will be some scary deep holes in the future.

gold prospector said:

The Part you are missing is That 7k Owners are saying that when they go back out to their Patches THEY are not seeing these Mystical increases that Minelab have claimed and as for the Certain Conditions They have Not Said what those Conditions are, Which is leaving many 7k Owners wondering if they have done the right thing, Not forgetting that some of these people have Sold A Machine which that has produced some good gold in the past although it had A Lot of Menu Settings This New one was supposed to be more simple, But when these New Owners Ask The Question of how to?? they are Told to Learn what it is saying and the fact is It has 5 modes I think?? where the 5k Has 8, And If It is so simple to operate with those 5 setting then why are People having So much Grief with It, On that MineLab Poster they showed one test pile of Gold Weighing over 44.5 OZT Which to me seems like the Gold does not belong on the Poster,

As for the Reviews you can take them with A Pinch of Salt because No Reviewer is going to Write A Bad Review because If they Did then they Would Never Get Another Product to Test / Review. On that Other Site I saw Posts by 2 well Known Detectorists / Prospectors Posting their Statements because people had been saying that they had gone Quiet since the release of the 7k, But these Opt out Clauses are not really good enough Because about 85% of People who Bought the 7k Solely Based on the Reviews by these People whom they Trusted,
The Reviews them selves need to be based more On the Usage of settings and how to gain the Most out of the machine and what the end results were/are, Because the 7k Owners Can't Keep Ringing Up Minelab trying to get Answers, And As It Stands at the moment these new Owners have got no one they can turn to for Answers, As One of the reviewers said it's not their job to be on hand for whom ever, (NOT EXACT WORDING). These people are not on Minelabs Pay role and they just can't be there 24/7 purely because its Not their Job and then there is the Time Zone Difference,

I saw 3 people saying how wonderful this machine is on that forum and the rest were not Happy and so far quite a lot of people here that are not happy Too, I don't believe that all these people are wrong, Minelab need to come here and maybe admin could set a page solely for 7k owners to Ask MineLab Questions or many People will be going to ask for their money back, It would be a Good PR thing for minelab and it might also stop buyers from dropping out of buying the 7k.

john

If they dropped the price a bit I'd be tempted to get one, though they may have to if sales drop off due to poor reviews. Maybe the hype surrounding the release is letting the machine down a bit in peoples minds.

I really just think owners need to spend a bit more time with the thing to find the sweet spot with settings for each particular area. As I said before experienced operators will work it out and get Gold and they are getting it.

I want 1 but want it cheaper.

Heatho said:
If they dropped the price a bit I'd be tempted to get one, though they may have to if sales drop off due to poor reviews. Maybe the hype surrounding the release is letting the machine down a bit in peoples minds.

I really just think owners need to spend a bit more time with the thing to find the sweet spot with settings for each particular area. As I said before experienced operators will work it out and get Gold and they are getting it.

I want 1 but want it cheaper.

You got two Beautiful Machines Already, But there again you can Never Have Too Many Detectors and anyone who says anything Different Is A WIFE, lol

John

Checked out an old patch and was nicely rewarded!
I have used a GP extreme with a 24x12 mono and a 4500 with a 12 mono over this area.
I know there have been others too with who knows what combinations?
The largest piece was at 12"-14" and standing on edge. The half oz at about 16"-18" and under a big tree root(A bugga of a dig).
1425465971_dsc_0422a.jpg

1425465971_img_5122a.jpg

1425465971_img_5126a.jpg

1425465971_img_5128a.jpg

Looks like fortune had all the luck today.

I took it out for the first time today, no gold, a few bits of shot. Still getting the hang of the machine and I'm still not terribly knowledgeable about places to go, but I'm working on that.

Latest posts