Minelab GPZ7000 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trashmagnet said:
yeah wolfy I did not do the graph, Robert and a few others from vic done it, they all have been detecting since the ark ran out of warranty, so they now what there doing and don't bother with air test's as air test's are a waste of time.
the test were done in hot vic ground.
all my comparisons were done on targets in the ground before digging.

i'll say again I'm NOT saying the 7k is crap. it's just not doing what was promoted it would do, not in vic anyway as it don't like very hot variable vic ground all that much.

jen yep I'm still up the air about it, even though I'm disappoint so far I'm hoping it somehow pulls something out of the hat as I like the idea of the machine, if the sales pitch had not been so talked up so much I think I would not be so disappointed.
it will pay for itself, just not in the way minelab said it would. not in vic anyway.
regards trashy

Don't Be disappointed Mate, I re read the Adverts, and it says UP TO, So looking at that Tells me in good ground it will have you thinking about giving up digging that Target, Which In all fairness is where I think Minelab get the 40% from, Either way you have one hell of a Machine, and as each day goes by you will learn all its hidden Secretes good or Bad, I felt the same about my 3500 (when it was New)

Give it a little time and it may just surprize you, And don't forget this new Tech stuff is All Alien to you and 2 months down the Track you will have that thing Burning the Gold out of the Ground, Good Luck.

John

Wolfau and mbasko thanks for your replies and info. I guess you gotta put time in the machine and really get to know it.

Now that i think about it, i was running my GPZ as sensitive as i though was "acceptable", but come to think about it, it was a little noisy in the hot ground and perhaps i could have backed it off.

So here is my question:

Is it better to have the detector running a lower sensitivity giving a constant, smooth threshold in order to hear any faint deviation, or is it better to UP the sensitivity in order to pick up smaller or deeper targets sacrificing that smooth threshold? I hope that made sense.

Jordan.

JayMowgrass said:
Wolfau and mbasko thanks for your replies and info. I guess you gotta put time in the machine and really get to know it.

Now that i think about it, i was running my GPZ as sensitive as i though was "acceptable", but come to think about it, it was a little noisy in the hot ground and perhaps i could have backed it off.

So here is my question:

Is it better to have the detector running a lower sensitivity giving a constant, smooth threshold in order to hear any faint deviation, or is it better to UP the sensitivity in order to pick up smaller or deeper targets sacrificing that smooth threshold? I hope that made sense.

Jordan.

Not too quiet, and not too noisy. I have found that running it on the edge of being chatty gives best results.
I'm nearly always in Low Smoothing and adjust accordingly. If I'm in milder ground, but have high EMI, then you can use the High Smoothing to filter out the EMI, and then crank your Sensitivity to compensate. It's all about matching the conditions.

Out in the sticks where EMI levels are low, if you're in mineralised ground and forced to use a lower Sensitivity to quieten the machine, by turning the Smoothing Off helps get back some of the performance loss. What I'm finding is that Sensitivity and Sweep speed are critical. Don't sweep too fast.

Nenad

Reeks said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x0LFrjExn8

Would like to hear peoples thoughts on this video.
I don't have the experience to comment accurately, although i would have thought the gpx would produce a stronger signal on this occasion.

I think that video demonstrates a number of things:

1. How stable the GPZ is running
2. How consistently the signal is heard
3. The tracking isn't budging - ahh just realised how much I'm loving not having to rebalance all the time. The SDC has spoiled me.
4. I think the tone seems fairly high, but that's a personal thing
5. Imagine if the Sensitivity on the GPZ was cranked up to match the more unsettled 5000? Probably even a greater difference.
6. Would a 14" round or a 16" round done any better on the GPX? Really depends on a number of variables. I'm going to predict that the target may have been on edge leaving a very small surface area visible to the tip of the detection field of the mono coil, hence why the GPZ had a clear advantage.
7. Interesting to note that General was still seeing the nugget. I think maybe about a 10% drop in response.
8. The GPX is getting a very slight dip in the threshold, but it is quite broad and there is no tone change. GPZ is a clear tone change, easily recognized.

PhaseTech said:
Out in the sticks where EMI levels are low, if you're in mineralised ground and forced to use a lower Sensitivity to quieten the machine, by turning the Smoothing Off helps get back some of the performance loss. What I'm finding is that Sensitivity and Sweep speed are critical. Don't sweep too fast.

Nenad

Thanks PT, ill play around with the settings when i go out again next week. You're right about that fact that you need to sweep slow. I slowed the coil sweep right down and noticed a big drop in unwanted threshold deviation.

Interesting, these were the settings from a member of another forum who found these with the GPZ:

The 51 grammer was about 20 inches deep, under a few small tree roots.
The 10 grammer was about 12 inches deep also under small tree roots.

Gold mode : General
Ground type: difficult
Sensitivity: 14
Volume: 11
Audio smoothing: high
Ground balance mode : auto
Volume limit: 12
Threshold pitch: 48
Threshold level: 26

Also using the WM 12. Wireless Module Speaker.

Hi guys dunny and I went out yesterday for an hour to a local beach on the Nepean river penrith to try the 7000 first time ever using a metal detector and the 7000 made it easy (lucky) here is what we found the necklase has 9999 on it stamped
1425109732_image.jpg

PhaseTech said:
Reeks said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x0LFrjExn8

Would like to hear peoples thoughts on this video.
I don't have the experience to comment accurately, although i would have thought the gpx would produce a stronger signal on this occasion.

I think that video demonstrates a number of things:

1. How stable the GPZ is running
2. How consistently the signal is heard
3. The tracking isn't budging - ahh just realised how much I'm loving not having to rebalance all the time. The SDC has spoiled me.
4. I think the tone seems fairly high, but that's a personal thing
5. Imagine if the Sensitivity on the GPZ was cranked up to match the more unsettled 5000? Probably even a greater difference.
6. Would a 14" round or a 16" round done any better on the GPX? Really depends on a number of variables. I'm going to predict that the target may have been on edge leaving a very small surface area visible to the tip of the detection field of the mono coil, hence why the GPZ had a clear advantage.
7. Interesting to note that General was still seeing the nugget. I think maybe about a 10% drop in response.
8. The GPX is getting a very slight dip in the threshold, but it is quite broad and there is no tone change. GPZ is a clear tone change, easily recognized.

I had the same thought regarding the nugget being on edge, perhaps a 14" round would of been a fairer comparison.

JayMowgrass said:
Iv had better luck with my SDC2300 in the same area but I'm not 100% sure it could have found the 2 nuggets the GPZ found.

Nice report, thanks for that BUT .... what would be really good to see from someone that can afford a GPZ and has access to a SDC (or any other detector as well) or is out with someone with an "old" detector would be to see those "old" detector responses to GPZ targets, without an apples for apples same target comparison we'll never really know how good the GPZ is.
Ditto with targets ID'd by old technology .... find then then run a GPZ over it to gauge the response.

Maybe one day someone will bless us with such a comparison.

The SDC got a caning on release but the results show it does and exceeds what it was intended for .... assume the GPZ will work out the same.
Cheers, Tom

Teemore said:
JayMowgrass said:
Iv had better luck with my SDC2300 in the same area but I'm not 100% sure it could have found the 2 nuggets the GPZ found.

Nice report, thanks for that BUT .... what would be really good to see from someone that can afford a GPZ and has access to a SDC (or any other detector as well) or is out with someone with an "old" detector would be to see those "old" detector responses to GPZ targets, without an apples for apples same target comparison we'll never really know how good the GPZ is.
Ditto with targets ID'd by old technology .... find then then run a GPZ over it to gauge the response.

Maybe one day someone will bless us with such a comparison.

The SDC got a caning on release but the results show it does and exceeds what it was intended for .... assume the GPZ will work out the same.
Cheers, Tom

I had the SDC in the car but was too excited to go and get it!! And it was a bit of a hike away. Ill endeavour to do a comparison next week. Good luck out there.

Teemore said:
what would be really good to see from someone that can afford a GPZ and has access to a SDC
for a few signals today we used the SDC as a pin pointer when digging targets with the GPZ.

One thing everyone in all these discussions on performance of the GPZ is forgetting ground depth.

If you go over shallow ground where the 5k has cleaned up you will get nothing.
Go find some deep ground and reap the rewards.
If you don't know how to do that do not buy a 7k. This new machine will not magically make gold appear in flogged
shallow ground.

Well guys,

Had my first 3.5 hours on the new toy last evening.

Hit an old patch of mine that gave up lots of nuggets from 0.3 to 2.5 grams, but all solid pieces, no species. Flogged it with the 4000, 4500 and 5000 with coils up to 20 inch mono and varying timings.

I was close to high voltage power lines but was able to run the sensitivity at 18 out of 20, with no audio smoothing at all. Threshold was a little warbly, but targets still pulled you up, a bit like the SDC. Ground type difficult, high yield.

Ended up with 2 bits that totalled only 0.35 grams, both about 0.17, smooth waterworn. One at a carefully measured 7 inches ( took a tape measure and dug slowly ), and the other at 6 inches. Couldn't believe the depth for such tiny bits ! It's a friggin SDC on steroids ! Oh, and 5 lead shotgun pellets !

The 5000 had got anything of significance at this spot, but will try more of my flogged patches over the coming days and report in.

The detector is well balanced with a bungy and hipstick, no sore arm after 3.5 hours. I like it, but is it better than a 5000 with bigger coils, not sure yet. Is it worth the money, too early to tell !
I'm tipping that it will be a weapon with a 20 inch coil though !

The trouble with the Ararat area is 99% of the gold around here is smooth, waterworn and solid, and hence I have been able to get it with the 4000 - 5000. Trying to find somewhere around here that is more suited to the GPZ may be difficult !

The 7000 may re-open the goldfields, but no where near as dramatically as ML suggest. It will be more suitable in some areas. It will ping the smaller worthwhile bits at depth that the 5000's have missed, and maybe larger bits at depth with the rumoured 20 inch coil.

youtube clip of the second one being uploaded for those interested.

Rick

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/epqwqbOq15A[/video]

Thanks for the report Rick,

If you were able to run Sens 18 with High Yield tells me your ground isn't very bad.

If the gold is predominantly solid, try run in General/Normal and lower your sensitivity to suit. Pick spots you know that are quieter ground that have a bit of depth
to it, and you should do quite well.

thanks for sharing your settings.

heres the settings I used on a hot ironstone lead in deep mode with a slight warble, I found it was still quite easy to distinguish the deep targets.

surprisingly still getting the small stuff which was mostly 1 - 2 feet deep.

all I need now is a pick with a dozer blade attachment for backfilling those holes ;)

1425265187_deep_settings_on_hot_ground.jpg

Question for Nenad

I have the X=change for the CTX3030 I have sent off a question to ML more than a week ago and nothing come back as yet

My question is since I already have the x-change software installed with various programs of mine , if I now install the up=dated X-change software will it keep or wipe my loaded programs that I have saved for the 3030

Cheers Marty

GPZ-7000's seem to be hitting the second-hand market in record time - this is the third used one I know of that's come on the market in the first week after release!

1425285505_kalg_2-mar.jpg

If you want to install the new version, you will be prompted to delete the old version.

I'd assume you'd have to save all the modes etc you wanted to keep, but I haven't done this myself yet.

Latest posts