Minelab GPZ7000 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big Nugget said:
Ridge Runner said:
Big Nugget said:
after finally charging the batteries I could withstand the itch no more so I let myself loose in the yard with the new super bipa today burying .01g split shot at about 6" :8

it is well built but is a bit like ikea to assemble for a backyarder like me :rolleyes:

will field test on some real ground over the next few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRsz7KgWFzY&feature=youtu.be

cheers ;)

Sorry, But do you mean 0,1 or 0.01 because I have A Test Piece that is 0.03g and nothing Not even My Pin Pointer will pick that up??

Thanks Mate John

.1g, #6 splitshot - lol.

go on then john, get the pin pointer back out of the rubbish bin, its ok ;)

sorry mate. my bad.

WOW, That's A Massive Achievement For Such A Big Coil, Hats Off To Minelab and well done you for making it see it, There has been so much small Gold left behind because of big coils and Now that Fear Is Laid to rest.

Lol, your right about the pin pointer, I was reading about the Pro Find and the TRX In Shear Panic,

John

I got a full day out of it, 7am - 7pm. Minus lunch, break and walking to spots, I'd say approx. 10 hrs.
That's with GPS off, wireless on, backlight only on when adjusting settings.

The CTX 3030 battery will get about 4 hrs on the GPZ. Good to have in the Pro-Swing battery pouch if you are going for a long walk.

What did the last target turn out to be? It seemed to give a good audio tone in the beginning and also getting closer to it in the hole.
Do you find the 7000 gives more audio tones that are usually gold but have been returning a lot of junk instead?

That last target was a bit of copper I think. Like a bracket off something.

With any gold detectors I dig anything positive. I've had gold that sounds like lead, ferrous, etc etc.

grubstake said:
Minelab's pretty pictures illustrate nothing meaningful and their description of ZVT provides no technical information to support your assertion that, "It's not PI", although it's abundantly clear that they want to create the impression of something wholly new and revolutionary. I suspect that Phasetech has a better handle on it with his above comment, "Half pulse, half vlf may be a way to describe it."

Whether you are correct in your assumption that the audio has been configured to mimic the familiar GPX noises or I am in my conclusion that the audio is indicative of a Minelab PI detection process, remains to be clarified by those with more technical knowhow.

Guys, there's some good discussion on this topic over on Steve H's site: http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/689-gpz-7000-zvt-technical-audio-questions/

Just been out to one of my patches for 2 days and only found 2 nuggets and about 12 pieces of junk ranging from the smallest shotgun pellets to a nail. The nuggets were a 0.24g nugget at about 3" and a 0.66g gold/ironstone speci at about 5". I detected for 15 hours in total.

Iv had better luck with my SDC2300 in the same area but I'm not 100% sure it could have found the 2 nuggets the GPZ found.

I was hoping that id be finding heaps of deep nuggets that GPX's had missed but not the case. I was trying new ground as well as an old patch and really thought that my $10700 would pull more of that yellow stuff from below. But i guess you have to wave a coil over it fin the first place.

What i liked about the detector: it was quite easy to swing and well balanced without the pro-swing. I had no problems using either arm when the other got tired. It is well made and the battery lasted for ages. Well in excess of 10 hours is achievable. Menu is very user friendly and easy to navigate around, although i didn't use the GPS modes.

I still got interference when an aircraft flew over, when i made fast changes in coil direction and sometimes when the coil hit a tree or when the coil tipped up.

It was also noisy in fairly mineralised ground using the "General" gold mode setting, "difficult" ground setting, Auto smoothing on "Low" and sensitivity on about "12". I changed the ground setting to "severe" and that ironed out most of the unwanted threshold deviations, which i was happy with. Perhaps some nuggets??? Who knows.

So far, I'm not 100% sure the GPZ is all that much better then the GPX. I have not owned a GPX, just my opinion from what i can gather off the forums and vids iv seen.

Perhaps the GPZ might be slightly better, but nothing an experienced user with the right settings on a GPX couldnt handle.

So the verdict?? Inconclusive for now. Im defiantly happy that I'm using it and it is a great machine. But as for now,i believe its not worth the price tag. Im back out again next week so hopefully ill have more to go by.

Good luck out there.

JayMowgrass just a question --> What coil size were you using before as your main go
to coil on the GPX?

8" on the SDC. It has been my only detector until the GPZ. Any advice you'd like to give, id be more then happy to take on board. I havnt been in the game long either. JMow.

JayMowgrass said:
8" on the SDC. It has been my only detector until the GPZ. Any advice you'd like to give, id be more then happy to take on board. I havnt been in the game long either. JMow.

You want my opinion? Learn the 7000 first.

Head out to some hot ground eg around Talbot or Maryborough and find an area to do
some tests where there is a 1 metre wall you can dig into and test the machine for
max performance..

I have a nice sized copper nugget to use as a test target which I purchased from ebay
and are not expensive.

Just remain confident though because confidence is one very important factor.

Hope this helps.

g'day
I don't think the gpz is as good as it sounded leading up to release, so far it is just pulling small stuff like a 2300 with a bigger coil that will take a hell of a lot of tiny nuggets to pay for itself. not what I expected for the price. I already sold the 2300 due to the amount of shot in vic so I did not want a bigger version.
regards trashy

JayMowgrass said:
JM I got an email from Minelab today saying they will be beginning GPZ training in March/April once things settle a bit. Minelab certified dealers will now facilitate the training. Keep in touch with your dealer, although by the commencement of the training you may be comfortable, it may still be worthwhile. Until then keep reading the manual & get out as much as you can.
Having only used the SDC may be a blessing. You won't be worrying about what your GPX could/couldn't do & just concentrate on what the GPZ can do. Being one of the first owners, people may soon be asking your advice.

trashmagnet said:
g'day
I don't think the gpz is as good as it sounded leading up to release, so far it is just pulling small stuff like a 2300 with a bigger coil that will take a hell of a lot of tiny nuggets to pay for itself. not what I expected for the price. I already sold the 2300 due to the amount of shot in vic so I did not want a bigger version.
regards trashy

Mate I was one of the unlucky ones that missed first round if you not happy I will give you 9g for yours.

goldwright said:
trashmagnet said:
g'day
regards trashy

Mate I was one of the unlucky ones that missed first round if you not happy I will give you 9g for yours.

9g :lol: no thanks, it will find gold and pay for itself. just saying I'm disappointed that it's not as good as described in the lead up and will no longer be buying new machines on reputation alone.

Latest posts