Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi shane
the 5000 is a very good machine when you say small gold is that .01 to .05 then use a 6inh coil tec or a nugget finder sadie coil it will pick these bits up very loud at depth you will miss bits with a bigger coil unless there close to the coil. dont get into your mind set of fine gold for larger bits use enhance gain about 18 to 19 on the machine for larger coils the 14 inh coil tec or 16 nugget finder you can not go past bit lighter then the 20 or 18 if swinging all day and the is not much in difference . happy hunting sean

WalnLiz said:
Agree with both Mick and DD. The 14" NF would be at the top of my "must have" list for general prospecting, and recon the 18" is as big as you need to go. The difference between an 18" and a 20" is pretty insignificant in my depth tests. The extra weight leaves it out of my collection.

Cheers Wal.
hi wal I suppose a 40 x20 would be out of the question lol
cheers mick

My prospecting partner in WA has one and we've played around with it quite a bit......would i buy one???....Nahhh. :D

Cheers Wal.

Best of luck with it mate. Great for finding that elusive reef....but they seemed "too" elusive for us. Leg work with an 18" seems to keep the butter on the bread for us, :D

Hope you strike the big one mate.

Cheers Wal.

thanks wal got 2 to play with a strait mono and a anti interference I think the ai will win though the other I might sell on flea bay or keep it and use it for a patch trolley or when I need it for a wheely walker when and if I hit that age lol

Thinking more along the lines of an esky, with solar panel cover, driving small air conditioned face blowing fan. :D

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback about coils.
Finally ordered my 5000 today and decided on a Sadie.
Once it arrives my goal will be to find enough gold to equal the price of the new detector.
Not cos I have to but cos it will be cool. :cool:

Now the wait for the arrival!!!

Its finally here. My shiny new 5000.
Took it out the back for a play and it went sick on my back lawn.
With a few adjustments I got it to run quiet enough to pick out actual targets and it still went nuts.
Basically there is crap buried everywhere in my lawn...which is no surprise for a back lawn
With my 705 I dug up nearly 10 bucks in change from the same area.
The 5000 is completely different and will take some getting used to but Im up for the challenge.
Will be going out this weekend (of course) to give it a run mean time ill be combing all the posts on settings in this forum and others to learn as much as I can.

Very excited about using this machine!!

If anyone has some tried and tested settings for the Sadie coil on the 5000 I would like to hear from them.
My area has fairly quiet soil and very fine gold mostly quite deep.

Cheers.

Congratulations. Lot of guys recommend getting training by minelab to master the 5000. Can't wait to see some nuggets you will find. :)

Very envious of your purchase :p

As Beagleboy mentioned it might pay to do some form of training, it'll help cut down on some of the guess work.

All the best with your new toy and I'll be hanging out in anticipation for some pics of what you find with it.

You will have to go out and 'wet the babies head' tonight

I hope you have as much luck on the goldfields as you do on the parks...I would love to see mountains of gold piled up on your kitchen table in your next post :p

To be honest, to start with I'd have a go with just the presets, search mode General or Deep and Special Fine/Gold or Enhance depending on the soil, if Fine is too noisy try Enhance. Have a go with presets and see if anything bugs you or are having trouble, that's what tweaking is for, getting extra sensitivity or sorting out issues such as EMI, ground noise or just personal preference. If you have trouble describe the issue and I'm sure someone can help.

Factory reset is your friend too after fiddling with settings.

These settings are quite sensitive as presets, if there is metal in the ground in coil range it will find it. Getting a solid ground balance is probably the most important thing. Once you get it running smooth then I'm sure people will help with getting the most out of the unit.

Read the manual, read it again and again until you understand each function in the menu.

Latest posts