Minelab GPX4000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BE.02 was more so made for use with the SDC...but as it is can be used with almost any make/model.
I had a chat today with the manufacturer and i'll be getting a few protos next week to fiddle with. Nothing in the booster need be modified, just the on/off switch and possibly a LED to indicate the on/off status. This comes about due to the unit being left on by its operator.
The BE.02 is most versatile compared to the units that run off the detector battery...however, arguments for both styles are still a worthy argument...i like both ideas to be honest, but as a trainer, its a bonus to simply unplug the BE.02 and move to the next client to listen to what it is he/she should be pulling up on, if they employ headphones. This makes the 9v battery operated one just that much easier for what it is i do most weekends when out training.

Iv ordered another batch today as these things tend to vanish like a fart in a fan factory. :eek:

Danny13 said:
All great advice . This forum is really great for getting in contact for those that are proper detectorists. And meeting great people in general . Thanks everyone

Danny

Yep, There are some Great people here,

john.

Hi Guys, need advice I've been offered a GPX 4000 at a very good price, I know the 5000, and 4500 are great detectors but this detecter is at a great price, what is the difference between the 4500 and the 4000.Thanks.

I have had both there would have to be a large difference in price before I would go back to a 4000 ,is the 4500and 5000 new you are looking at both the 45 and 5s with there extra modes are a better option regards john :Y:

you cam use a speaker on the 4000 but the 4000 battery does not have a built in amp like the 4500 and 5000 so you need to use a booster regards john :)

The 4500 has the enhanced timing for use with a mono coil, for more mineralised ground.The 4000 is a good detector but lacks the enhanced timing, it does have a smooth timing on the 4000 for bad ground.The 4500 also has a smooth timing, but enhanced was a much better option as a timing than smooth.

I started with a 4000 found gold wth it ,and personally think it's a great detector and would still be very happy if I was still using I think research and experience count for a lot and the friend who taught me to detect would always did up something every trip with his old gp extreme.

I think its also a question of how much you value for search time in the gold fields as an offset against the initial cost. To me the enhanced setting of the 45 will find more gold, more enjoyment and its a keeper, whereas am not sure that you will keep the 4000 long term, and then its a question of the 4000 resale value, will you be selling it at a really really good price..

Peter

I haven't run a 4500 myself other than an hour set up by the owner, so bear that in mind when i say I am still happy with the performance/setup I run on my 4000. It still finds me tiny and med/large gold if I am smart in my research, and walk over it.

Is it the best?...likely not, but for an 'occasional' to med/heavy user, and an intro to PI machines, if the price is right, i'd get the 4K....

Today, had I the $$ for hobbies, I would buy the 4500 and keep the 4K as a reliable workhorse back-up. Other things are keeping from the hunt just now....

I would be also interested to hear the 'good price' you were offered and what the package was? :8 O:)

Gypsy

Ok went out yesterday in Daylesford for a detect , fired up the beast and we have display but no sound , swapped out headphone and coil , then went back to original setup , had sound on pressing the button but nought else , switch on an off a few times and it come good , ripper , dig a few targets then stop for a bit , turn her off , then same same except it goes into coil overload , swap the elliptical detech for the 15 dd ,all good dig some tiny targets then a bloody 2 footer, topsoil, sand , must be junk , clay then quartz and wash, maybe, maybe ,45 minutes later 2 x1 bit of old steel , curse you detech making me dig giant holes , lol .
did a DR Google and apparently button is a standard problem and turning it on and off too quick caused the overload , hope she cracks for a couple more days , wasted 8 with rain ,snow and gearbox problems :( :( :rolleyes:

You should send it to Minelab and get them to swap out the push button for a toggle switch like the later model gpx's.

yup will do Nenad , hope to get a few more days out of it first , was to head to Maryborough for the weekend from here ,will send it after then, any updates available for them as well ?

Well thats GAME OVER PLAYER 1 drive out to Pickpocket Diggings 23 attempts with button flicks included to start the beast then surrended :eek: , pity it wasn,t me Harley I could have kickstarted it . :mad: hi ho hi ho holidays rooted back to minelab 4000 you go :rolleyes:

Hi everyone,

Hoping for a little bit of advice. I have just brought a second hand GPX4000 but have no experience with the GPX series of detectors. I am wondering if the standard settings are good enough to run a new 12' Nugget Finder coil. I have search the internet and found a video with shows settings but I am not sure if these settings are useful with this coil or area. I know that I will have to do some playing around with it to get the right settings but just hoping for a useful starting point. I will be using it around the south coast of NSW area ie: Mogo and Nerrigundah.

Any advice would be great.

willo1

Latest posts