Total Noob, hunting for help!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all! I recently moved to the outskirts of Brisbane from Sydney. I’m working on getting a fossicking license and learning as much as I can, but I’ve got no idea where to start. Thus far, my experience spans from liking pretty stones and digging through my mum’s creek, and thunderbird park for the thunderegg mine. I used to frequent a beach in Sydney that constantly had Jasper, agate/chalcedony and carnelian stones just up on the sand in big piles.
Not interested in gold at all, big fan of fossils and minerals/gemstones. I’ve hunted through the QLD government site for info but it’s all very tourist based.
Anyone got any tips or good places to get your hands dirty and off to a good start? How to find places of your own, what to look for, online resources? Any help is appreciated! At the moment, 4 hours of travel around brissy is what I’m limited To ; need to settle into my job before I can start doing weekend trips lol.

Hi all! I recently moved to the outskirts of Brisbane from Sydney. I’m working on getting a fossicking license and learning as much as I can, but I’ve got no idea where to start. Thus far, my experience spans from liking pretty stones and digging through my mum’s creek, and thunderbird park for the thunderegg mine. I used to frequent a beach in Sydney that constantly had Jasper, agate/chalcedony and carnelian stones just up on the sand in big piles.
Not interested in gold at all, big fan of fossils and minerals/gemstones. I’ve hunted through the QLD government site for info but it’s all very tourist based.
Anyone got any tips or good places to get your hands dirty and off to a good start? How to find places of your own, what to look for, online resources? Any help is appreciated! At the moment, 4 hours of travel around brissy is what I’m limited To ; need to settle into my job before I can start doing weekend trips lol.
Morning AA, I suggest joining the Ipswich lapidary club. They used to be a great bunch. Really good info, knowledge of places not only in Qld but other states too. They used to have all the equipment and access to same if you needed to purchase. I moved from the area 25 years ago and didn’t keep in contact……. safly. I doubt they would have changed much so they are your best bet.
Oh, welcome to PA, it’s great to see new faces in the forums.
Regards - Mr Tee

Latest posts