Minelab GPX4000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the a2b gold hunter still works if you know how to use it , but I've kept it because it's a relic :). Will get a few more coils for the GPX for sure and that should keep me out of trouble :)

Well there is some first rate advice here and no matter what GP/GPX machine it is you are not short of options, So just buy the best coils for the job to give your self the best possible chance and get in to it,

Let us know how you get on,

john

Danny13 said:
Hi John not to sure if the 4000 has a booster it's on it's way over from Idaho with an 11 inch mono , just need an evo coil. I'm in Queensland John to answer your question . Get the best of both worlds, not far from the beach and also not far from gold prospecting areas , can do both in the same day lol.

<SNIP> "Hey Gypsy, I have a few more questions to ask you , just that i was out of time :smile:"

Last i heard, US units are not warrant-able in Aus (even tho its longgg out of warranty, this included repairs) although i do recall hearing drum-beats in the jungle a cpl of years ago this was going to change since they are now all built o/s, but i never heard or needed to know the outcome....may be something to check out. ;). I also hope you know/trust the source of your unit coming from o/s, nuff said... :eek:

As to any q?'s....ask away, though, like now, it could be a few hrs/days before i respond.

Also like to thank you for the run-down on the SDC, I will file that away in the instance i get the opportunity/offer to operate one. :D ;)

I hope the info. provided here by others puts your mind at rest as to the GPX 4K's capabilities....it will get the most out of you, to make it operate at it's best....and as a last thought as to whether modding is the way to go?...well, i'm sure there are some members here who have them, and if not the 4K perhaps a modded SD...

My point is, #26 posts.....how many are here supporting/regaling their results, and how many decry the 'mod'?.....

So, go online, download the manual and read it, then re-read it, then again once more when you have the unit in your hand...then have maybe two coils to begin with, (either/or, DD/mono,or Lge/Sml coils) and walk the suited ground for that coil...shallow ground small coil etc, et al (you know the score, but i include it for any new-ish folks who don't)...

i find the 11" mono in Sens. Smooth is a good all rounder in shallow-medium depth ground for prospecting 'new' ground. It's also a relatively good 'clean-up' combo, but i would finish off using a smaller coil to catch the shallow 'real' tiny stuff......If i can find sub-gram bits using an 11" mono in sensitive/smooth, that in itself belies the need to have any 'mod' done as advised to you, the 4K finds lots and lots of SUB gram pieces. If you can handle a 'warbly' threshold, you can in some ground/areas switch out of 'smooth' and obtain a slightly marginal depth gain as well...it all comes back to Y O U......

Thanks also to Nenad for his clarification of my post in regards to the birth of the 4K (glad to know i had it right in my mind, just badly put to words by me :p )....I just don't recall whether it was the utilization of DVT that that allowed for the 'Smooth' option or vice verse......there were a number of options/settings & power sides of the unit that were upgrades over the GP series....

Last word of advice,...in the beginning, don't go mad buying the next hot 'thing'...no point spending $4-600 on a 20" coil left in the cupboard...if your local ground is mostly shallow...i'd get the 11" mono and perhaps the 14"x9" DD....that way a number of 'coils' in the two. You have a DD (if you use 'Discrim".), an Elliptical (for between objects), a 'quasi' mono (DD + Elliptical) and the mono 11"....alternately the Commander 11" DD (i have one here NEW if you want/need to buy) is the coil the machine was built around and while your learning the machine, it's as good as any other on offer for a general prospecting coil.

Different advice once you get on a patch though... ;) :p :lol: :cool:

Gypsy

Danny13 said:
Hi John not to sure if the 4000 has a booster

I also meant to respond to this....be careful if you do end up with a newer battery & booster, if that booster is a DETacc variety....PM me for background and latest info. (as in 'my experience')....if it comes with a good condition OEM (original 4K) battery & booster it will be OK and in most cases 'preferred' for the 'quiet' responses due to the low audio (this was improved on the 4500's up via an 'amp' in the new batteries).

I've read of other makers units having no such issue, yet i have not used them myself to see if that is my experience as well. The other 'benefit' of the new batteries is it is just PnP exchange of dead batteries to new ones, no technical service required....

If it doesn't have a booster, you may feel the need for one when you hear what it's like on others units. I would say to do some homework on what will work with what as users experience differs, and you can't buy the OEM 4K batteries new anymore, they've been phased out...

I'm led to believe that DETacc has/had a new model en-route to market (last Sept i heard, then March?) that overcomes the issue i discovered with them (blown bridges on DETacc board)...don't know if it's yet available. (yup...lazy lol) I'll go have a look... :8

**Edit**...had a look on Miners Den (Dave is mates with the designer/maker) and no listing or mention of the new unit that i could find...

Gypsy

Thanks gypsy if there is anything wrong with the machine I'm sure it can be repaired no worries here. Definitely send private note with regards to coil/booster . It's probably 2 weeks away . Purchased from gerry's detectors and seems to be pretty reputable, it was tested before It was sent and a new 11 inch mono was put on . Mate I think you have more knowledge than Steve herchbach in the U.S. When it comes to detectors.

Danny

Danny13 said:
Mate I think you have more knowledge than Steve herchbach in the U.S. When it comes to detectors.
Danny

No worries about the help...though :8 ...i'm just an advocate of the equipment i use and what works for me.

I certainly don't have the the breadth of knowledge S.H. has and i do give him his due. I have far fewer detectors used under my belt than he, and he has been exposed to the industry, and much closer than i ever have been, so, thank-you for the praise albeit a little skewed (in my favor to boot, lol).

It could also be i just blurb a lot and it's usually about the 4K hahaha....there are faaarr more knowledgeable folks on here than I...too many to list without offending by ones absence of name being listed.

I'm just glad to share my experiences with the gear i have/or used, and if that helps others, is all i can expect or ask....over (10) ten years in and i'm still learning....even about my own machine and myself to get better results.

I hope i have been of help in this instance... :cool:

GGA

Central West Prospecting are now handling the Dettacc boosters. The new ones that are 1/4" and 9V battery powered are very nice. I've sold a few for use on SDCs. If someone wanted to run an external speaker on a 4000 I'd have no hesitation recommending one of these.

Re coils, if you see a Commander 15x12" DD up for grabs cheap, then seriously consider it. These run great in Normal timing and will give you more depth (on bigger gold) compared to a Mono in Sens Smooth.

Thanks for the update and Greche taking on the 'supply' of DETacc. I do know the designer/maker is in Bendigo, and when i spoke with Dave's staff last year, they were still directing me to post my boosters to them to have the repairs done.

I see no reference to them at all now on Miners Den, so that must explain it. I might try & track him down & deal direct & save time + money. I did see a new release on Miners Den but it didn't look like, or, named as a DETacc, don't know if that's the one your talking of Nenad, the one i saw specifies it was made for the SDC & there is some sort of patch cord as well...didn't look like what i had in mind so didn't get the details.

As the unit you mention is powered by 9v, that makes it different to the one i have, and maybe why i am also having the issues i am. They appear to be of different design, so i'd be interested to read how they are hooked up to the detector or any specific operation procedures to safe-guard all the equipment.

I seem to be the only one having these issues of mine... :/

Might have to go all DOCTOR on the battery and 'mod' it so i can continue to use the booster.. :mad:

Gypsy

I just went through central west prodpecting to purchase ctx3030.spoke to Dave and his staff and they were great . Good to know they can can deal with boosters aswell. Thanks for the advice on the coil nenad. Thanks again gypsy

Danny

GypsyGoldAu said:
Thanks for the update and Greche taking on the 'supply' of DETacc. I do know the designer/maker is in Bendigo, and when i spoke with Dave's staff last year, they were still directing me to post my boosters to them to have the repairs done.

I see no reference to them at all now on Miners Den, so that must explain it. I might try & track him down & deal direct & save time + money. I did see a new release on Miners Den but it didn't look like, or, named as a DETacc, don't know if that's the one your talking of Nenad, the one i saw specifies it was made for the SDC & there is some sort of patch cord as well...didn't look like what i had in mind so didn't get the details.

As the unit you mention is powered by 9v, that makes it different to the one i have, and maybe why i am also having the issues i am. They appear to be of different design, so i'd be interested to read how they are hooked up to the detector or any specific operation procedures to safe-guard all the equipment.

I seem to be the only one having these issues of mine... :/

Might have to go all DOCTOR on the battery and 'mod' it so i can continue to use the booster.. :mad:

Gypsy

Mate these are sort of like a B&Z, where you can plug into any detectors headphone socket. The differences are the Detacc has a shorter straight cable which is hardwired at the booster end. The B&Z is a separate plugable lead which is an extra connection, but you can carry a spare lead, and can also make up a shorter straight lead if you don't need the length. I sort of recommend the B&Z to anyone who wants to run the booster on their body and need the lead to go to the detector. The Detacc is good for people who want to make their SDC (or other detector) wireless and mount the booster and speaker on the detector or if plugging into a wireless module like the WM10 or 20, or the Deteknix wireless set-up i.e. don't need the lead to reach down to the detector.

Danny13 said:
Mate I think you have more knowledge than Steve herchbach in the U.S. When it comes to detectors.

Danny

Steve H is to the Detecting/ Prospecting world, more so in the US and Europe than In OZ, No Offence meant but the man has some MEGA Serious Skills,

John

<snip> Thanks again gypsy <snip>

Your most welcome, the forum is good for sorting your head out before making mistakes in what you need.

PhaseTech said:
Mate these are sort of like a B&Z, where you can plug into any detectors headphone socket. The differences are the Detacc has a shorter straight cable which is hardwired at the booster end. The B&Z is a separate plugable lead which is an extra connection, but you can carry a spare lead, and can also make up a shorter straight lead if you don't need the length. I sort of recommend the B&Z to anyone who wants to run the booster on their body and need the lead to go to the detector. The Detacc is good for people who want to make their SDC (or other detector) wireless and mount the booster and speaker on the detector or if plugging into a wireless module like the WM10 or 20, or the Deteknix wireless set-up i.e. don't need the lead to reach down to the detector.

Ahhhh, there ya go then...they are set up differently. I'd have to check one out in use before i make up my mind which way to go...not keen on extra batteries and worrying if their charged or not.... :rolleyes:

Thank-you for clarifying the booster setup.... :cool: :D

Gypsy

The Detacc Be-02 9v jobbie is a top seller when it comes to boosters...i know this cause its me who puts them in the mail every day and sends them out... :lol:
Iv had lengthy talks with Allan Henson the manufacturer of these units...stay tuned for further improvements to this model. Its used on everything from the X-Terra to the 7k, and other brands as well.

As for the 4k, it was a top machine, and responsible for many ounces of gold falling into my hands over the yrs i had it before handing it down to my partner, who kept up well with the newer model 4500 when released. If push came to shuv...id have no issues going back to a 4k from the 45 i use now.

The only thing id like to add to this thread when it comes to GBing the GPX models is...they have the ability in the smooth timings to knock out badly decayed rusted metal. And is why i wont use the tracking feature of these units. The smooth timings dont come without trade offs...and if your going to use them moreso than the other timings, you should know a thing or two about them. Optimization for finding smaller gold....and ground handling ability.
Id never fully rely on the first GB after finding a subtle target either, id prefer to torment the ground for as long as i needed in order to make the decision to dig.... you get it wrong and its gone.
Using the s/smooth timing on the 4k and this can happen to a target on the limit of detection...especially in heavily mineralized ground. That target may only be a few inches deep. Iv seen guys who should know better, GB over such targets claiming that if its gold, it wont GB out. RUBBISH!! Species can contain ironstone, and in some of the areas iv seen this practice, iv not intervened....why should i?. Iv just as much right to find gold left by those before me as i leave myself... :D

All great advice . This forum is really great for getting in contact for those that are proper detectorists. And meeting great people in general . Thanks everyone

Danny

GypsyGoldAu said:
Westaus said:
I see these as some of the key Factors in finding Gold.

1. Gold must be there firstly
2. See point no #1
3. Read books research area
4. Operator Skill
5. Operator Knowledge
6. Detector
7. Many trips finding fuggets
8. Upgrades detector (mod)
9. Starts to find more gold.

Do you think it was the mod that made the difference?
I'd need more info. to qualify or commit to an answer for that question. It could just have been the law of averages at play...

However,...i'd be interested to hear if you think it was the mod and why? :cool:

GGA

I don't think it was the mod directly, while it could have had an effect for smaller or deeper (perhaps?) gold, I would put it more down to spending time out using the machine and getting to know its sounds, you just can't beat experience IMO.

Westaus said:
GypsyGoldAu said:
Westaus said:
I see these as some of the key Factors in finding Gold.

1. Gold must be there firstly
2. See point no #1
3. Read books research area
4. Operator Skill
5. Operator Knowledge
6. Detector
7. Many trips finding fuggets
8. Upgrades detector (mod)
9. Starts to find more gold.

Do you think it was the mod that made the difference?
I'd need more info. to qualify or commit to an answer for that question. It could just have been the law of averages at play...

However,...i'd be interested to hear if you think it was the mod and why? :cool:

GGA

I don't think it was the mod directly, while it could have had an effect for smaller or deeper (perhaps?) gold, I would put it more down to spending time out using the machine and getting to know its sounds, you just can't beat experience IMO.

:D ....ahhh, sorry, i took your post differently...now i see we are saying much the same thing. :p :lol:

BH

Narrawa said:
The Detacc Be-02 9v jobbie is a top seller when it comes to boosters...i know this cause its me who puts them in the mail every day and sends them out... :lol:
Iv had lengthy talks with Allan Henson the manufacturer of these units...stay tuned for further improvements to this model. Its used on everything from the X-Terra to the 7k, and other brands as well.
:D

Hi Narrawa and thanks for chiming in. So is the Be-02 the most recent model from DETacc (around Sept-Dec last year?)...

I use/used the SE-01 w/bypass switch. I heard (late last year) there was an upgrade to it on the way and wondered if this was it?

The difference in model #'s leads me to think BE series are the 9V (B = Battery)....

Can you tell me which is the updated version of the SE models please?...

Cheers
Gypsy

Latest posts