Minelab Gold Monster 1000 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I can understand from the specs, this GM1000 has a very boosted audio but not a VCO audio, kinda of a downer for me. I like to listen to audio to differentiate hot rocks from gold signals. Am I correct here?

Thanks Argyle2 for the solid report, It is a shame that you found such issues because I was kind of hoping that the GM was going to be like a hot rodded version of the Eureka Gold, But Alas No.

Oh well, it's early days yet so maybe they can release a new software update and life will be good again,

John.

I'll say again! It's a VLF! And it will always be a VLF. This is Australia. Pulse Induction will always out perform a VLF in this country. Save your money! If you must have one. GMT has the points on the board.

ronniecruisin said:
I'll say again! It's a VLF! And it will always be a VLF. This is Australia. Pulse Induction will always out perform a VLF in this country. Save your money! If you must have one. GMT has the points on the board.
If this is "the Argyle" then I reckon he might disagree there Ronnie :lol:
p.s. the GMT is very good but it's discrimination isn't 100% reliable either - proved that with mine on some reefy gold. It will "grunt" on some gold!

Yes I know. I had one.! Fact is all discims are not 100% accurate and personally I don't think they ever will be. Too many variables to contend with. Mate I've had many machines over the years and the ones that have consistently found gold for me have always been PIs. If we were in the states I would go VLF. But! We is not! P Is opened up the goldfields in Aus.

I do like Minelabs Single frequency machines, The Musky Advantage was such a fun machine so I hope the GM can spread even more joy.

John.

Who here had used the gold monster 1000 in mild ground how does it perform in australian ground?
Anyone found gold with it yet or tested it on some bits of gold?
Would love to see a youtube clip to see how it handles the ground and finds small gold.

davent said:
OK, so I just read a review on the GPZ,GPX,SDC Facebook forum that basiclly says its very good detector......so, now what?

Well Dave I would guess that Argyle's review is pretty close to the mark in that case, mainly because even our well versed people are very quiet and it is the lack of info which is giving me doubts, Hopefully I am wrong, No doubt I am,

Time will tell, fingers crossed.

John.

Hey Argyle, if they don`t love ya they don`t deserve ya. Have I got the right Argyle??????????

It takes practice to get the Auto GB and Auto Sensitivity to play together but its well worth it when you get used to the work flow. I'm not a fan of being locked out of GB controls etc, but its still a decent little VLF that more than holds its own against the GBII. If I'm using any sort of VLF now days I don't even think about depth, we have far better options for that type of detecting, so for me its all about the surface pieces and the fun factor. Learn how to get the Zero threshold to play with the Auto GB and Auto+ Sensitivity then you'll have a very enjoyable VLF detector in your hands.

JP

A blog I wrote on the Monster.

http://www.minelab.com/anz/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/mastering-the-gold-monster-1000

Norvic said:
Yeah, looking forward to that fun, my bloody old knees are killing me picking up surface scraps with the Z. I can here the violins...............

Arrr, do you need a Hug, ? :lol: ;)

Seriously thou, The knees always take a bashing, the miles do add up when swinging a coil and yards turn in to mile as the hours go by, I often think of a reason to keep going when I am focussed on the task of making finds, and making plans of one day On and one day Off don't work either,

I agree with JP, VLFs are great for finding the shallower targets or deep stuff in better conditions, But trying to run a VLF in hot ground does have it's limitations.

John.

Cool, looks like it can do the deed, now all we need to know is how it works in Aussie soil conditions,

Thanks for posting it.

John.

Latest posts