Minelab Gold Monster 1000 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you love the sound of someone rubbing a balloon like its going to pop , get a gold monster , great machine that will find flypoo gold and anything made of metal , but the sqeaking and honking can send people bonkers , ive seen more than one person on the brink of javelin sending the monster through the bush.

aussiefarmer said:
If you love the sound of someone rubbing a balloon like its going to pop , get a gold monster , great machine that will find flypoo gold and anything made of metal , but the sqeaking and honking can send people bonkers , ive seen more than one person on the brink of javelin sending the monster through the bush.
Exactly the reason its good to pair the GM with a PI Detector. When the ground gets noisy, put the Monster to bed ;)

CreviceSucker said:
maccatuna said:
If you want small gold you cant go past the monster...my opinion..

I was going to ask the question myself since selling my GPX5000 as to which would be a better detector ;

Gold Monster , or an SDC 2300 with updated coil ?

My GPX was a pita and I want to have at least something simple to carry in a work vehicle now and then.

Gold monster and a rake will would be my choice..... you will be surprised as to how much Small gold an sdc will leave behind as opposed to the monster On a good patch..

maccatuna said:
Gold monster and a rake will would be my choice..... you will be surprised as to how much Small gold an sdc will leave behind as opposed to the monster On a good patch..
This is so true, my mate is pretty good with his SDC equipped with the new 10x6 Coiltec but my GM easily out does the SDC on mullock heaps.
Hot ground would be the opposite though so it's more about using the GM or SDC on the right ground to maximise their strengths.

maccatuna said:
CreviceSucker said:
maccatuna said:
If you want small gold you cant go past the monster...my opinion..

I was going to ask the question myself since selling my GPX5000 as to which would be a better detector ;

Gold Monster , or an SDC 2300 with updated coil ?

My GPX was a pita and I want to have at least something simple to carry in a work vehicle now and then.

Maybe true under the right circumstances. For small and tiny shallow gold, I can get on board with that, but with further depth, size, hot ground and the new coils the sdc will ne in a much better place. Pulled a decent size peice of lead out out from a crazy depth (say 2 to 3 gram size) that the GM would never see, but to be sure of that Ill take my monster back this weekend and test.

I just think if theres a chance of grammers or bigger and with depth the sdc is gonna win the contest.

My GM defo finds bullets at a decent depth. Just need to suss out how to turn lead into gold then I'll pay off everyone's mortgage. That said, one machine is $1200 the other 3 grand more... that's a lot of small gold has to be found to make up the difference.

I was thinking of selling my NOX and going the GM... but after yesterday I may have changed my mind.

Yesterday I went to a honey pot with the NOX, the ground there is heavily mineralised, didn't find anything but this time I managed to settle the NOX down to an acceptable threshold for the first time, probably the most time I've spent in the field with the NOX since I bought it - seems its paid off spending time playing with the thing.

I'm a miserable bugger and won't tell you what I did but, the NOX on gold in highly mineralised ground IS possible. Get to know your machine!! I've seen the GM on youtube and the threshold on that thing would drive me insane :8 Yesterday I managed to run a fairly stable threshold with a sensitivity of 18 in Gold mode which in my book on heavily mineralised ground is pretty damn good for the NOX 800, and that was using the stock 11" coil too :eek:

BigL I'm a miserable bugger too, that's why I haven't mentioned sdc2300 cos I can't/won't afford one but some of the guys had forgotten my original query about the GM being used for 'other' stuff & why I thought the nox might be a crossover detector. The comments have been great & everyone has an opinion, that's the way life should be.I'd love to hear what your secret is to quieten down your nox, if I'm swayed that way I guess I'l have to find out myself. :( The GM sounds so easy to use & I just got to read the 4500 after 10 yrs so am not really looking foreward to learning another machine at 72 but....
Meanwhile the 4500 waving will continue!! o'l c

PM sent ol'codger

not saying you would BUT, don't you ever trade that 4500 mate, they're rippers! I've been using detectors for over ~42 years so I think I'm qualified enough to distinguish shite from clay :cool:

Don't think I will have time to go to the places I want to before Xmas with doctors appointments and all the other things for Xmas.

Went down to local river (Grose River Yarramundi NSW) local swimming hole when everyone had left I tried the GM out, it worked great and I found it quite easy to use. As this is a place where they all swim I was looking at diamond rings, $2 coins,$1 coins and any other items of value.

Well here we go first 1 piece of foil then another piece of foil then I thought I had the jackpot !!!!!! lid of a sardine tin.. :rolleyes:

Had a great time all together it will probably be the new year when I can get serious in some prospecting areas.

Latest posts