Minelab Gold Monster 1000 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PhaseTech said:
Haven't been out in the field, but just did a quick air test.

In mild-medium ground I can get the GM humming on Sens 6 or 7.

On Sens 7, I can get a solid 1 grammer at 12cm.
Also tested an ironstone laced 1 grammer, and I can get it at 10.5cm

I don't understand why it only see's it at 12cm's in an Air Test, It seems like it is down on power, ?

John.

I would think you should be able to hear a solid one grammer at 6-7 inches deep in moderate soil. I doubt any more than that as vlf's are so affected by mineralization. It would be nice if that were possible anyway.

Just spent 2 fun days behind a Monster in probably the hottest ground in NQ that is annually flogged by 1000s of MDs. Its auto GB and auto sensitivity are lightening fast, its discrimination as close as. It does not replace the Z or the PIs just complements them, ML have brought another world beater MD to us.

mxt sniper said:
I would think you should be able to hear a solid one grammer at 6-7 inches deep in moderate soil. I doubt any more than that as vlf's are so affected by mineralization. It would be nice if that were possible anyway.

Yeah I don't understand why it only see's a solid 1 grammer at 12cm or less than 5 inches in an Air Test when most VLF's can see something that size 3 or 4 times that distance,

I guess that is why we are seeing so many mixed views about the GM, I sure hope it is better than that, I have waited years for a Minelab Single frequency machine, In fact it was the lack of such a machine that made me switch brands in the first place,

I am hanging by the $%&'s waiting to buy a GM.

J.

im waiting on more reviews i want to buy the gold monster for my first detecor.i might just go for the gold bug 2

clint3 said:
im waiting on more reviews i want to buy the gold monster for my first detecor.i might just go for the gold bug 2

Well you got the choice of 2 well proven LF Gold Machines and 2 new machines with the Gold Racer and the GM so you can't go wrong really, The only down side to the GB II is that it use's Concentric Coils which might give you problems in hotter ground conditions and it is those coils which make the GB II so hot on tiny Gold, But by fitting concentric coils to any of the other machines they will be just as hot at finding tiny Gold, With a VLF as a rough guide, what a DD Coil can see at 1 inch a Concentric will see at about 3 inches when maxed out, but once the targets get over a certain size the difference between the two coils is less noticeable,

Hope that helps.

John.

Did you actually get some yellow Norvic?

Clint and Ridge Runner - I've only seen the one negative report and that was by Argyle. But I haven't delved too much further than here or detectorprospector.

All the other reports have been very positive about the abilities of an 'entry level' VLF.

I'm hoping mine arrives Tuesday and I get to hit some good spots Wednesday. Will certainly be posting up a little write up when it does arrive and I get the chance to use it.

clint3 said:
why is it taking so long to get some field results on the gold monster?

What about Norvic's post #112??

"Just spent 2 fun days behind a Monster in probably the hottest ground in NQ that is annually flogged by 1000s of MDs. Its auto GB and auto sensitivity are lightening fast, its discrimination as close as. It does not replace the Z or the PIs just complements them, ML have brought another world beater MD to us."

Short and to the point!

Northeast said:

Clint and Ridge Runner - I've only seen the one negative report and that was by Argyle. But I haven't delved too much further than here or detectorprospector.

All the other reports have been very positive about the abilities of an 'entry level' VLF.

I'm hoping mine arrives Tuesday and I get to hit some good spots Wednesday. Will certainly be posting up a little write up when it does arrive and I get the chance to use it.

Cool, I have been hanging out to get my hands on one, If a person already has a 5k and the SDC then they need the GM to complete the picture,

I look forward to your thoughts on the GM,

Good luck,

John.

clint3 said:

I suppose because the general public that have actually been able to get their hands on one have only had it for 2 weeks. Work, family, weather, etc may mean they just haven't had a chance.

Those who have been testers have provided field results and mostly they've been positive.

And from those reports they suggest that if you don't already own a GB2 then buying one over a GM might not be such a great idea if you live in Oz.

clint3 said:

To get a balanced picture of how it performs takes a few months from many users from across the globe, They are not that wide spread meaning that not many folks have them in order to get a good Idea of how they perform, So we need to give it a chance for the results to come in. :Y:

John.

grubstake said:
clint3 said:

What about Norvic's post #112??

"Just spent 2 fun days behind a Monster in probably the hottest ground in NQ that is annually flogged by 1000s of MDs. Its auto GB and auto sensitivity are lightening fast, its discrimination as close as. It does not replace the Z or the PIs just complements them, ML have brought another world beater MD to us."

Short and to the point!
Thank you Grubstake, tis the only way to be but regardless of one persons view it comes down to the individual and the only way for that individual to answer that question is to get one.

Norvic said:
Thank you Grubstake, tis the only way to be but regardless of one persons view it comes down to the individual and the only way for that individual to answer that question is to get one.

Amen to that,

PI user's might take a little while to get their head around it as they learn it's ways, VLF user's might do better straight out the Box, either way I think this will be a good one to own,

John.

but there hasnt been many reviews from other countries that have had it alot longer than here in australia

clint3 said:
but there hasnt been many reviews from other countries that have had it alot longer than here in australia

Well It was the same with the GPZ and the MXS and the Nokta /Makro machines too, The detecting world moves so slow, It has always been that way, They are slow to invent them, slow to release them and slow to provide the info, That is one thing that will never change so what you are seeing OR not seeing is nothing new to the detecting world,

Any slower and they would rust, but that is how it has always been,

John.

Ridge Runner said:
Northeast said:

Cool, I have been hanging out to get my hands on one, If a person already has a 5k and the SDC then they need the GM to complete the picture,

Good luck,

John.

If you had an sdc and a 5000 why would you buy one of these?

Occasional_panner said:
Ridge Runner said:

Good luck,

John.

If you had an sdc and a 5000 why would you buy one of these?

2 Reasons really, 1 it can see smaller Gold than the SDC and 2 it has it's version of junk / Iron ID, In old mining sites and tailing piles / Mullock heaps a PI will drive you nuts with the amount of junk you will dig, In clean Hot ground a PI is King, Throw in all the junk from prospectors past and present then a VLF with some form of Iron ID will cut out a lot of wasted time in digging junk,

A person would be better served by using a VLF as much as possible and only use a PI if the ground conditions dictate it.

John.

Latest posts