Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nuggetbuster said:
hAyyoUinAU said:
Multi IQ: Both will incorporate the Multi IQ technology - the 800 will have the edge on the 600 because it will be able to simultaneously utilize the two higher frequencies of 20 and 40 khz as part of the Multi IQ scan signal whereas the 600 cannot, obviously, because it cannot transmit at those two higher frequencies. This is important not just for gold nugget prospectors but for those who are also relic hunters that detect small and mid-conductive targets like buttons and brass artifacts that will be more detectable when using the higher frequencies of the 800 in either discrete or Multi IQ mode. This is of less importance to coin shooters who focus primarily on high conductive silver coins (unless of course you are also into hammered coins or US nickels, both of which are considered mid-conductive targets). Furthermore, there is evidence based on recent experience with the new Deus HF coils, that doing general searching in the higher frequencies in areas with high iron concentrations and especially deep iron actually enhances the ability to unmask shallower mid AND high conductive targets such as buttons and silver coins. So, besides gold nugget prospecting, the HF frequencies also have a role in helping to unmask not-so-deep silver from iron, and that DOES matter to the coin shooter.

That's from a thread on the detectorprospector site. A few posts later, the same poster wrote this:

Chase Goldman said:
Mike,

I missed the note on that diagram. I believe you have it correct and I am incorrect in assuming 20 and 40 are not available in multi IQ mode. When Steve clears it up for us, then I will correct my post. I was apparently confusing Minelabs 3Fx3 and 5Fx5 lingo with Multi IQ but they apparently only apply to single frequency mode. I blame the marketeers for ambiguously translating the engineering speak into marketing speak. Lol. My sincerest apologies and thanks for teaching me yet another thing I did no know about the equinox.

ps. Steve confirmed your understanding of how Multi IQ works for both the 600 and 800 while I was typing this reply. Thanks for hanging in there and setting me straight.

Yeah I saw that, and kept reading and reading further.
I don't think Steve himself knows exactly what frequencies Minelab are utilizing in Mulit Modes. He actually says that himself.
This will be interesting to find out, and there could be more to it, and that is why the marketing team has utilised the term Multi IQ to generalise.
That way the 600 would still be appealing.

"I am already getting the idea that for the Equinox, each of the preset program Modes are truly completely different core programs in how they implement MultiIQ as well as how they implement other features such as discrimination and perhaps even ground balancing. "

That's exactly what I am thinking.

hAyyoUinAU said:
Yeah I saw that, and kept reading and reading further.
I don't think Steve himself knows exactly what frequencies Minelab are utilizing in Mulit Modes. He actually says that himself.
This will be interesting to find out, and there could be more to it, and that is why the marketing team has utilised the term Multi IQ to generalise.
That way the 600 would still be appealing.

I wouldn't be surprised

Hi All

Well got the Equinox yesterday! Annoyingly the courier had just left it sitting on my BBQ sitting in my front yard!!! Not sure how he got my signature for it!.
Anyway opened it up late last night and put the batteries on the charger then proceeded to put the rest together and do a bit more reading as I wasnt thinking about buying it seriously right at this exact moment but to my Surprise my wife had brought it for me, then this morning I thought Id check it out a bit better due to it being late I hadnt really had a close look.
Anyway took everything off the charge and then noticed to my disappointment that not everything is as it should be.
But Im sure Im not going to be the only one thats going to have this issue in the very near future as its an obvious week point on the headphones.
So looks like Ill be contacting Minelab to get some new headphones.
Be interesting to hear others experiences with then and any issues.
Ive tried many times to upload a photo but its not that easy on here unfortunately.

Cheers

You must be like me mate ...way to powerful and break
everything .. :D Mine seem strong enough..not sure about the weak spot but I'll be sure to look when I get home :Y:

dirtdiggin said:
Hi All

Well got the Equinox yesterday! Annoyingly the courier had just left it sitting on my BBQ sitting in my front yard!!! Not sure how he got my signature for it!.
Anyway opened it up late last night and put the batteries on the charger then proceeded to put the rest together and do a bit more reading as I wasnt thinking about buying it seriously right at this exact moment but to my Surprise my wife had brought it for me, then this morning I thought Id check it out a bit better due to it being late I hadnt really had a close look.
Anyway took everything off the charge and then noticed to my disappointment that not everything is as it should be.
But Im sure Im not going to be the only one thats going to have this issue in the very near future as its an obvious week point on the headphones.
So looks like Ill be contacting Minelab to get some new headphones.
Be interesting to hear others experiences with then and any issues.
Ive tried many times to upload a photo but its not that easy on here unfortunately.

Cheers

?? What was wrong?

Nuggetbuster/ Theres 2 little screws on the head band part, Im guessing where they adjust.
Smoky Bandit / thats impossible mate they havent even been put on my head yet or touched for that matter apartfrom put on the charger.
Is there anyway of uploading a photo with an iPad?? As Im not sure how to resize the photo as Im guessing the photos to big?.

Cheers

1522124656_4bb285a6-5430-4f71-87f7-5fc24dee7a39.jpg

1522124656_b35163ec-aa76-4dee-8f1a-fb0d1ccbbed6.jpeg

This is the issue

So, have we got an answer regarding the multi-mode on the 600 vs 800? This thread was hotly debated, but seems to have suddenly come to a halt...

I have got a half reply, which started delving into the Multi-IQ weighting and proprietary of the algorithms.

So all I was left with is basically where we started from in the first place.
Although, there is something to keep in mind.

Both Machines share 4 Frequencies, or not really. Multi IQ is classed as a type of frequency even though its broad spectrum.
They do individual frequencies, however, the Multi-IQ signal is not made up of those individual frequencies all put together. Multi IQ is a different circuit. Different signalling all together. Now how they weight that between modes is briefly explained as low, higher, and high. The Multi-IQ also works differently on the 800 in prospecting mode because it is a threshold tone based. And the way it ground balances or interacts with the gound at the same time is unique in that mode to the 800. (Anyone who hunts gold with a threshold knows exactly how that all matters) So on real small gold, you won't do as well with a 600 as what you can with an 800.

Now whether this is the same hardware or not?
Apparently not exactly.

So in all 3 modes bar Gold mode, you can rest assured that they should be similar in power and ability. And unless I/WE/YOU can get exact information from Minelab on how the Multi IQ works in the different modes, especially with GOLD mode and all the weightings, I/WE and you will never really know I guess.

I don't think they will be releasing the secrets to their recipe any time soon.

New to coin hunting as weve only chased gold and Ive gotta say I think its way easier.(prolly just because thats what were used to). First proper day out today at an old school site and I must say we struggled a bit. Mrs bjay did find a British penny so was rapped with that but . Seemed we were getting a lot of jumpy targets. Would get some high targets only to disappear in a couple of sweeps. Did the noise cancell and ground balance so now second geussing that were doing something wrong or the machines nqr?

EMI or maybe mobile phone interfering.

Maybe dig the jumpy targets anyway and see what they are. It will give you a good idea. Most probably junk items, but always best to check.

Sometimes it can be a good target hidden amongst junk, which can make it hard to discern.

When learning, start by only digging shallower targets first, it is a good way to learn how the machine reacts and what ID's and sounds you get.

When it comes to digging holes, it is nothing as hard as gold prospecting. But it is something you can do almost anywhere and on a lunch break.

Good luck. :Y:

Definitely not mobile. Always stays in the car so I can get into my happy place. Im ok with jumpy targets that are repeatable but its the ones that disappear that concern me that somethings not right. Anyways shall persist.

Bjay said:
Definitely not mobile. Always stays in the car so I can get into my happy place. Im ok with jumpy targets that are repeatable but its the ones that disappear that concern me that somethings not right. Anyways shall persist.

Don't be concerned, they could be one of two things, just ground noise, or a deep target that is just out of range or coin on edge, amongst some iron.
The NOX is amazing in the fact that it doesn't really false, pretty much any repeatable signal, even if it only repeats every 4th swing will be a target.

I don't know if you dug those targets or not, but it can be frustrating to pin point them. I find sweeping at all angle and slow makes a big difference. Gives the Multi-IQ time to do its thing. I guess you could also play around with the recovery speed too, and iron bias. Only adjust them though if you are confident in what you are doing, as you don't want to go confusing yourself and mixing all the settings up, can be counterproductive. Minelab has setup the defaults pretty well.

That is why I said to focus on the shallower and stronger targets first, as you get more confident with it, you will start plucking out those faints interesting signals in no time.
Anything that is within the depth chart of the NOX scale should really boom.

Let us know how you go.

Hope you do well.

Also, I have noticed how crazy difference in mineralisation some parks can be. It can go from benign ground to through the roof readings, so I also would say that any occasional signal you get traversing the grounds could be the auto tracking and ground balancing, and just bit of feedback. Obviously it tracks it out when you go back to check the signal.

Anyways, just a few guesses.

You will definitely know more of what's going on tomorrow.

Latest posts