Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes wont be changing any settings. Just stick to factory at th moment to try to suss it out . This arvo did just what you suggested sticking to the shallower solid ones and got a halfpenny so maybe Im overthinking things. Cheers thanks for the help.

Best part is these sites have never been hunted before as there on private property so have plenty of time to work things out :)

Might possibly be getting some high tone falsing on iron, often this will result in non-repeatable targets and fluctuating TID numbers. Even though I don't own a nox, I see the same happen on the deus every now and again over deep iron targets or iron scattered in the soil profile. You tend to get a brief initial high tone prior to the discrimination fully kicking in after resampling the target on further passes of the coil.

Sometimes it just pays to slow down a bit to give any given detector a chance to properly process feedback from the target, target responses may clean up with a bit of further investigation, if not, possibly time to move on. As an example, some people learnt the hard way with the Deus which is also a fast recovering detector, that a fast sweep speed is not always beneficial, in fact it can cause you to overlook many of the deeper/smaller coins, necessitating in re-covering of old ground again to pick up on those targets, albeit at a much slower swing speed. Anyway, thought it might be something to ponder over.

There are so many reports out there just woundering how many members own a Nox and what are your fist impressions When did you buy it and why
Thanks
Roy

I agree with Goldpick...initial swing may be a good signal but subsequent swings give the detector a chance to process. Happened to me the other day...great signals disapoearing...ran the detector in AM for a while and the iron signals were everywhere.

Went to junk-haven yesterday afternoon and noted the same thing with the NoX. My 705 had a similar response.

I have found that significantly corroded iron bolts, big forged nails, bars, horseshoes, axes and picks can give a halo silver range response when swinging in close proximity, registering a very quick and sharp jumpy high target ID that disappears when the coil is over the object.

I have used this technique to find big iron amongst small iron.

Owned mine almost two weeks so I cant claim to have tested it extensively but so far I love it. Behaves Similar to the gold monster in when in gold mode with a little extra depth and many more custom options including customisable discrimination profile and audible threshold adjustment. Can run a silent or audible threshold which I like. I dont know if Im imagining things, but having the multi frequency also seems to be ironing out the equinox response to hot rocks too but maybe thats just what I want to believe. Id love to see some data on this. A smaller/elliptical coil specific to gold would be nice for nugget finding but Im guessing thatll come later. As a novice who is new to the sport I think its a nice all rounder and it seems to be a nice balance of form and function, especially the weight. I found that running it in park mode with a silent threshold and a lowered iron reject number seems to work pretty nicely without sacrificing much depth when I tested it on a sub gram piece but I guess that will vary in mineralised ground. In free air the target signal on the same piece is clearer and further than my SDC but Im putting that down to the fact that Im a newbie still trying to figure the SDC out and the fact that the SDC seems to be more about seeing through mineralisation and not depth so much. At my entry skill level a faint single beep is easier to pick up than a tiny fluctuation in the SDC baseline warble. On that note one thing I do love about the equinox is that when a target is really close to the coil it still gives a short sharp tone and doesnt scream for 3-5 seconds like the SDC does which i think makes that larger coil a bit easier to live with when it comes to pinpointing. I think it will be my go-to detector when hunting in high trash areas especially, with the added bonus of being able to mess around on the beach when I go back home to visit.

Was looking at buying one and it kind of fell into my hands... right place at the right time. But wow I love it, it has so far been a revolution for me its separation ability alone with ease of usage is incredible. I bought a 600 as well for family to come with me on occasions, now I can say I have found it every bit as good as the 800 but it does not have some of the extra settings which is not a problem for us.

rockdev said:
Was looking at buying one and it kind of fell into my hands... right place at the right time. But wow I love it, it has so far been a revolution for me its separation ability alone with ease of usage is incredible. I bought a 600 as well for family to come with me on occasions, now I can say I have found it every bit as good as the 800 but it does not have some of the extra settings which is not a problem for us.

If your where going to get one and budget was tight is there 800 that much better than the 600
Roy

Latest posts