Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Nugget, I feel sort of the same.
I think it has some access, however, I don't think it can be weighted as high in Mulit IQ as the 600 can. If it could, then Minelabs GOLD mode just became obsolete.
I am not trying to put anyone's machine down, or anything like that.
I just want to get to the bottom of this Mulit IQ spread and weight scale. Because all indications say that if you can specifically select 20/40kHz in the 800 but not the 600, then the 600 would be somewhat limited at the high end frequencies.

This would probably not be noticed at all in all other modes besides Gold Mode. Because I don't think weighting Mulit IQ high in those other modes will be usefull.
How often do you see people using High Frequency VLF's to look for coins?

I will be waiting with anticipation too.

I will contact them tomorrow and ask to get a detailed explanation on this Mulit IQ spread.

Nuggetbuster said:
hAyyoUinAU said:
Yeah, I would rather have all frequencies running at the same time, not just 3. Small gold will be missed especially in trashy areas.
At least you know you will have stuff left behind by the 600 that the 800 can find.

Not an issue - in multi frequency, all 5 frequencies are running, just like the 800. The only difference in that regard is that with the 600, you can't select the 2 highest frequencies to use by themselves.

hAyyoUinAU, I'll rephrase my statement to more accurately reflect what I meant when I posted it:

Not an issue - the 600 has access to the same range of frequencies as the 800 does when running in Multi-frequency Park, Field or Beach modes.

Cover all bases .................... buy the 800 as only a half dozen packets of smokes difference in price and probably even less when you look at resale :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

hAyyoUinAU said:
I think it has some access, however, I don't think it can be weighted as high in Mulit IQ as the 600 can. If it could, then Minelabs GOLD mode just became obsolete.
I just want to get to the bottom of this Mulit IQ spread and weight scale. Because all indications say that if you can specifically select 20/40kHz in the 800 but not the 600, then the 600 would be somewhat limited at the high end frequencies.

This would probably not be noticed at all in all other modes besides Gold Mode. Because I don't think weighting Mulit IQ high in those other modes will be usefull.

I will contact them tomorrow and ask to get a detailed explanation on this Mulit IQ spread.

The high frequencies are useful in beach mode and park mode for fine gold necklaces, bracelets, etc.

Rumour has it that minelab are working on the next generation of treasure deposition-recovery technology.

Not satisfied with the he multi frequency solution wrapped up in the circuitry of the Equinox, primarily due to the realisation that by taking on a whole of lifecycle mentality, more can be done on the target deposition side and there is an identified mutually rewarding symbiotic relationship with industry partners that can leverage additional turnover through the smart application of technology.

It is rumoured that Codan has partnered with Levi, Lowes, Kmart and billabong using the latest in rapid bio-degrading synthetic pocket stitching fibres that will to help deliver the next jeaneration of treasure depositing technology to the masses.

The Equinox is envisaged as the perfect recovery-side partner and I am very excited about this new, whole of lifecycle treasure partnership.

8) problem identified, solution proposed ]:D

Bogger said:
Cover all bases .................... buy the 800 as only a half dozen packets of smokes difference in price and probably even less when you look at resale :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

What if you don't smoke?

And I think you're right about the resale value

Northeast said:
hAyyoUinAU said:

The high frequencies are useful in beach mode and park mode for fine gold necklaces, bracelets, etc.

Also useful for relic hunting low conductors (buttons, thin copper items), and can also help unmask in thick iron.

Multi IQ: Both will incorporate the Multi IQ technology - the 800 will have the edge on the 600 because it will be able to simultaneously utilize the two higher frequencies of 20 and 40 khz as part of the Multi IQ scan signal whereas the 600 cannot, obviously, because it cannot transmit at those two higher frequencies. This is important not just for gold nugget prospectors but for those who are also relic hunters that detect small and mid-conductive targets like buttons and brass artifacts that will be more detectable when using the higher frequencies of the 800 in either discrete or Multi IQ mode. This is of less importance to coin shooters who focus primarily on high conductive silver coins (unless of course you are also into hammered coins or US nickels, both of which are considered mid-conductive targets). Furthermore, there is evidence based on recent experience with the new Deus HF coils, that doing general searching in the higher frequencies in areas with high iron concentrations and especially deep iron actually enhances the ability to unmask shallower mid AND high conductive targets such as buttons and silver coins. So, besides gold nugget prospecting, the HF frequencies also have a role in helping to unmask not-so-deep silver from iron, and that DOES matter to the coin shooter.

Northeast said:
hAyyoUinAU said:

Yes. Which the 600 doesn't have. Highest it has would be 15kHz.
The 800 will trump the 600 for fine gold, small stuff, especially of low conductivity. Can even help unmask some other targets. As explained in above posts.

I am glad I stuck with my guns and I am pretty sure Minelab will confirm this.

Regardless of what sales pitches are thrown about the 600 being just as capable. If it were, it would not have a 300 price difference for some $20 headphones and wireless receiver. And makes no sense they would remove features, but rather, have more in the top end machine. So more hardware components. More money.

I believe the push on the 600 has been due to it not moving like the 800 sales. I have predicted that the 600 will probably become obsolete in the near future.
Just a prediction.

hAyyoUinAU said:
Multi IQ: Both will incorporate the Multi IQ technology - the 800 will have the edge on the 600 because it will be able to simultaneously utilize the two higher frequencies of 20 and 40 khz as part of the Multi IQ scan signal whereas the 600 cannot, obviously, because it cannot transmit at those two higher frequencies. This is important not just for gold nugget prospectors but for those who are also relic hunters that detect small and mid-conductive targets like buttons and brass artifacts that will be more detectable when using the higher frequencies of the 800 in either discrete or Multi IQ mode. This is of less importance to coin shooters who focus primarily on high conductive silver coins (unless of course you are also into hammered coins or US nickels, both of which are considered mid-conductive targets). Furthermore, there is evidence based on recent experience with the new Deus HF coils, that doing general searching in the higher frequencies in areas with high iron concentrations and especially deep iron actually enhances the ability to unmask shallower mid AND high conductive targets such as buttons and silver coins. So, besides gold nugget prospecting, the HF frequencies also have a role in helping to unmask not-so-deep silver from iron, and that DOES matter to the coin shooter.

That's from a thread on the detectorprospector site. A few posts later, the same poster wrote this:

Chase Goldman said:
Mike,

I missed the note on that diagram. I believe you have it correct and I am incorrect in assuming 20 and 40 are not available in multi IQ mode. When Steve clears it up for us, then I will correct my post. I was apparently confusing Minelabs 3Fx3 and 5Fx5 lingo with Multi IQ but they apparently only apply to single frequency mode. I blame the marketeers for ambiguously translating the engineering speak into marketing speak. Lol. My sincerest apologies and thanks for teaching me yet another thing I did no know about the equinox.

ps. Steve confirmed your understanding of how Multi IQ works for both the 600 and 800 while I was typing this reply. Thanks for hanging in there and setting me straight.

"Both have the same Beach Mode, but the fact is that A. Beach Mode works only in multifrequency and B. Nobody has any idea how Minelab mixes and matches different frequencies in different modes other than that Beach Mode multifrequency is not the same as Park Mode multifrequency for instance. So while the Beach Mode is identical on the Equinox 600 and Equinox 800, until Minelab clears all this up it is all speculation as to what Beach Mode is doing different than say, Field Mode."

Quoted from Steve.

So it seems only Minelab really knows exactly what frequencies they utilise for what modes.

Hopefully their reply will clear things up a bit for me. I will also want to know if the 600 and 800 are exactly the same hardware. As some have also mentioned on others sites.

Latest posts