Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be contacting Minelab to get a confirmation of this.

I will post their reply. I don't think software is the only difference between these machines. That wouldn't make sense at all.

"Anyone who thinks Multi IQ means it runs all 5 frequencies in a machine that only has 3 frequencies is misguided."

Sorry Hayyouinau but you've got it mixed up. The 600 does run all 5 frequencies when in multi - it simply does not have the 20 and 40 available singularly. And it does not have Gold Mode at all.

When in Multi-mode the 600 and 800 are exactly the same - they run all 5 frequencies.

Goldpicks post above #868 is a quote from a treasure talk blog and highlights it pretty well.

hAyyoUinAU said:
You are going off a fine print and reading it the way you like rather than what it is actually telling you. It is saying the graph applies, but obviously not the HIGH END frequencies. I can not believe people actually think the 600 will run 20/40 in mulit mode. lol
Go read the manual properly, and please show me where it says that the 600 runs 20/40kHz. It doesn't.

lol.

Wow... I didn't think something so simple could be so confusing.

800 users, don't downgrade at all, you are missing out.

Where does it say that the the HIGH END frequencies do not apply to the 600? It actually says that they do:

Minelab Equinox User Manual said:
* 20 kHz and 40 kHz are not available as single operating frequencies in EQUINOX 600. The Multi-IQ frequency range shown applies to both EQUINOX 600 and 800

And no need to lol at people and imply that they are not as smart as yoself :(

I doubt that many people are thinking of downgrading as I did...although correct information could be helpful for people who are trying to make a choice between buying one of the two machines.

1521930524_multi20comparison.jpg

Well, I will be calling Minelab to confirm. Especially when they have just released a bulletin telling people it is better to run GOLD mode in Mulit Freq over single frequencies. And gold mode uses the High end of the Multi IQ only. Which makes sense. The rest doesn't.

If Multi IQ is the same, then why is the Multi IQ different depending on the modes you use. The manual states that Park Mode utilises the lower end of the Mulit IQ.

Hayyouinau, the way that the different modes use the frequencies is talked about in the number 3 treasure talk about the Multi IQ technology. This explains how different modes are 'weighted' to different frequencies.

You don't need to call Minelab to confirm, the fact that the 600 and the 800 are identical in Park, Field and Beach modes WHEN IN MULTI have been written many times by Minelab, Steve Herschbach, etc. They are only different when it comes to single frequencies and gold mode.

I'll link up a few things here in a minute to help.

So Minelab says Multi IQ is the best for Gold Modes.

And you are all telling me that the 600 does the same Multi IQ frequencies as the 800.

So did minelab just make Gold Mode obsolete with this statement?

1521931043_gold_mode.jpg

And if I am wrong, I can still LOL and accept that I am wrong.

I guess only further testing and comparisons will really give us the answer.

I will still be calling them this week to clarify. If hardware is the same, then that would mean a 600 and 800 are the same besides different software programing

No need to get upset, I am not upset. I would actually like to see some side by side testing and comparisons with the 2 machines now.

Nuggetbuster said:
I doubt that many people are thinking of downgrading as I did...although correct information could be helpful for people who are trying to make a choice between buying one of the two machines.

Seems very confusing and conflicting info about the differences between the 600 - 800 and proper clarification would be very handy.
I myself will probably purchase an EQ later this year and primarily for Beaches and Parks so if the 600 does actually run all 5 frequencies in Multi then that's good enough for me.
Very interested in what Minelab come back with.

Northeast said:
Hayyouinau, the way that the different modes use the frequencies is talked about in the number 3 treasure talk about the Multi IQ technology. This explains how different modes are 'weighted' to different frequencies.

You don't need to call Minelab to confirm, the fact that the 600 and the 800 are identical in Park, Field and Beach modes WHEN IN MULTI have been written many times by Minelab, Steve Herschbach, etc. They are only different when it comes to single frequencies and gold mode.

I'll link up a few things here in a minute to help.

Yeah I know, but doesn't that mean they are weighted on the lower scale of MultiIQ. And Gold Mode is weighted at the high end in Multi IQ. Which the 600 doesn't do.
They both do "higher end" of the Multi IQ, but only the 800 says "high end" regarding Multi IQ.

I read the treasure talk stuff, but it just confused me more.

What I want to know from Minelab is, does the 800 in Gold Mode Mulit IQ run the same as a 600 Muliti IQ is another mode. I would think not.
And yes it does state about both using the same Multi IQ but it never states that the 600 actually uses high frequencies like the 800.

hAyyoUinAU said:
Multi IQ in Gold Mode only runs 20 and 40kHz.

Anyone who thinks Multi IQ means it runs all 5 frequencies in a machine that only has 3 frequencies is misguided.

Even in Multi IQ, GOLD MODE does not run 5, 10 or 15kHz. Its pretty simple and makes sense.
Unlike people thinking that a 600 can do 20 and 40kHz in Multi IQ. lol

Multi IQ means more than one frequency together at the same time. It can mean only 2 frequencies at the same time.

The graph has thrown you off.

Meh. Believe what you like. If you think your 600 can do 20 or 40 in Mulit IQ go ahead, but don't go telling other people they are the same.
They are not

Only the 800 does the full range.

The 800 is 5 detectors in 1.
The 600 is 3 detectors in 1.
As much as it pains me to say..Hey u is correct :Y: :Y: :D {)For the extra $300 you are getting a much better machine. :Y:

PP, it is a bit confusing but my understanding is that people are thinking multi-frequency across Park, Field, Beach and Gold Modes are exactly the same - but they are not. Different modes are 'weighted' towards different frequencies and the 'type' of different targets you are likely to come across in the 4 different locations.

If they were 'exactly' the same then there would be no need for the 4 different modes. Again, the Multi IG treasure talk number 3 discusses these weightings and I think it is the second link I have put above shows all 4 Multi IQ blogs.

But, as the picture that Hayyou has shown further up this page the Multi IQ spread IS right across the full 5 Khz range - it is only the single frequencies of 20 and 40 khz that are singularly selectable on the 800.

Plus there are the different back light options, audio options and recovery speed options making the 800 more adaptable.

Ah, ok. So you admit that you're confused. Why don't you leave it at that until you get Minelab confirmation, instead of telling everyone else that they're flat-out wrong?

Smoky, I agree, the 800 is a better machine as it is more adaptable.

But, in Park, Beach and Field they are exactly the same running all 5 frequencies at all the same weightings.

Sounds like the 600s haven't been selling as well.

I have read all of that, and there is still no confirmation if the Multi IQ in Gold Mode is different to the Multi IQ in other modes. And I am pretty sure it will be.
Comments like this hint at that.

"With the exception of Gold Mode both Equinox models will find targets equally well. "

I think we have covered everything. I am not saying anyone is lying or I know better.
I am just not convinced from what I have read, that the Multi IQ is exactly the same. From what I read, it seems to indicate that the Multi IQ in Gold Mode offers a higher end spectrum on the Mulit IQ as well, which the 600 will not reach.

Time to go swing. Its a beautiful day.

Nuggetbuster said:
Ah, ok. So you admit that you're confused. Why don't you leave it at that until you get Minelab confirmation, instead of telling everyone else that they're flat-out wrong?

Well, flat out wrong is a bit harsh.
And I agree, I would like to hear what Minelab says specifically in relation to the Mulit IQ using same ranges for 600 or 800.
If they tell me that the 800 does not utilise a high weighted Mulit IQ over the 600 Mutli IQ in Gold Mode, then I will stand corrected.
Without getting upset. lol

Northeast said:
PP, it is a bit confusing but my understanding is that people are thinking multi-frequency across Park, Field, Beach and Gold Modes are exactly the same - but they are not. Different modes are 'weighted' towards different frequencies and the 'type' of different targets you are likely to come across in the 4 different locations.

If they were 'exactly' the same then there would be no need for the 4 different modes. Again, the Multi IG treasure talk number 3 discusses these weightings and I think it is the second link I have put above shows all 4 Multi IQ blogs.

But, as the picture that Hayyou has shown further up this page the Multi IQ spread IS right across the full 5 Khz range - it is only the single frequencies of 20 and 40 khz that are singularly selectable on the 800.

Plus there are the different back light options, audio options and recovery speed options making the 800 more adaptable.
on the 800 you can chose to run any frequency on its own :Y: :Y:

Ok, I think I have been spun around a bit.

What I originally meant is that in the Park, Field, Beach modes, the 600 has access to the same frequencies as the 800.

Whether the 600 utilises 20/40 kHz or not (or if the 800 utilises 20/40 kHz in Park, field, beach modes), I don't really care. If 20/40 kHz is ONLY in the GOLD mode of the 800, I'm not concerned.

Maybe you're right, hayouinau

Yes, the Multi IQ in Gold mode IS different to the Multi IQ in the Park, Field and Beach modes.

The Multi IQ is different in ALL the modes - Gold, Park, Field and Beach. They are ALL 'weighted' differently hence why they are different modes.

What they are weighted to exactly is the secret formula of Multi IQ and the bit that Minelab aren't going to provide.

The main bit that I am trying to get across, in difference to what you posted earlier was that the 600 is not just running 3 frequencies in Park, Field and Beach - they are running all 5 and those modes are exactly the same between the 600 and 800.

And now I have to go to Bunnings and buy f_cking plants that I don't want to buy instead of putting that couple of hundred $$ towards an Equinox 800. Plants won't give me a return on investment :mad:

Enjoy your Sunday peoples ;)

Smoky bandit said:
Northeast said:

on the 800 you can chose to run any frequency on its own :Y: :Y:

Sorry Smoky, I didn't write that right. Yes, all 5 frequencies are singularly selectable on the 800. Only 3 are singularly selectable on the 600. The 20 and 40 are the difference between the two :Y:

Latest posts