Metal Detector Hire Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

Does any one know of where you hire or borrow a GPX5000 in Melbourne?
I believe there are a few places in Bendigo and the surrounds but nothing out of Melbourne.

I really dont want to have to drive back to Bendigo at the end of the day to return the detector to.

Thanks in advance

Miners Den Melbourne - about $120 a day I think. Google them.

If you are going to the Goldfields:
Coiltek boys at Maryborough.
Gold Search at Dunolly. (They're Whites dealers but I think they hire minelab gear as well. The Whites TDIs can be hired here)

I would ring first - you may have to book one in advance. 4500 can be cheaper.

good one mate. stop at the bakery as well and have the cheese sausage roll. PLUS - the Railway Hotel has re-opened, PLUS the fish and chip shop has steamed dimmies on the go. Does it get any better!! Gold Search also have some excellent maps of the area and I have found them to be helpful fellas.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies but wasnt hoping on going that far north. Was hoping to do some detecting down Lakes Entrance way and didnt want to drive to Dunolly to pick on up.

Miners Den Melbourne does not hire out of their Melbourne store only out of Bendigo store as I have already enquired with them a few times.

Anybody else?

I heard that Kennards Hire has them?

HeadsUp said:
I was told yesterday that miners den wont hire gpx's anymore due to thefts ?

Yep - interstate plates and driver's licence and ID, unknown to the dealer, paying in cash and "I am camping in the bush", generally gets a negative response. Don't forget - they are passing over $6,000 plus for a day at $100ish. I would say no as well.

Are there any members that hire out their equipment when they are not detecting?

I wouldn't think so as most cherish their detector more than life in itself :lol:, but no harm in asking I guess.

Nugget said:
I wouldn't think so as most cherish their detector more than life in itself :lol:, but no harm in asking I guess.

ditto

as much chance of someone renting out their missus or kids i think.

spare / older machines might be a different story though

i might rent out a SD2200 at a weekly rate of $ 300 if they had credit card , passport and license for ID

I cant believe a business would decline the hire of a new detector. For approximately $6000. They get a full 100% return on their investment after 60 days of hire. They get the sales that come from a try before you buy environment and they get to sell the ex demo unit to recover even more profit. There would be insurance on the unit that the shop would have to pay and I am sure there would be a fair size excess applicable, but as I have found with high excesses its a simple case of insuring the excess at a very low rate. Like you can do with a hire car. This is only scraping the top of the benefits of hiring from a business decision point of view. Where the idea of interstate car rego's come into play in the thought process is totally bewildering to me.

Exactly Echidna, if a member would hire their equipment to newbies when not using it themselves this could infact pay for a GPX5000 very quickly. And for security purposes as Headsup has said credit card, Victorian licence (as interstate would not be hiring from a local in their area) this also saves the new guys from having to drive a considerable distance to pickup a hire machine if they could pick it up from a local in their area.
Again I would also have the rego of the car noted and also a agreement of taking a photo of the person to be put up on the forums/facebook if anything were to happen.

The concept of TRY before you BUY would be really helpful for a lot of people contemplating fossicking as a pastime/hobby etc.
I deal with a lot of retirees that are looking for something to do while driving all over this magnificent country and the idea of a little fossicking really tickles their fancy but so many of them are cautious with their remaining monies and do not know if it is really something that they would get some enjoyment out of.

I have sent a lot of them off to a commercial dealer to do a short course but many of them feel the pressure put on them to buy the very latest and obviously at the highest prices.

Many give up and some get conned into something so old and nonfunctional that they are discouraged any way.

It would be a great idea if there was somewhere where they could gain an understanding of what is required and TRY some of the cheaper (but eminently suitable) equipment so that they could make an informed decision

Joining a forum such as this an or joining a gem and fossicking club is a really good way to start but many of these people are nomadic now and therefore not based anywhere to become part of a club.

Maybe we should put together a BASIC kit concept that begins with buckets, sieves and pans with an informative HOW TO guide and then progresses up through Walbankers and into Detectors

Any thoughts

regards

Well no we certainly wouldn't hire out ours. Too big an investment to trust it to someone else :/

echidnadigger said:
I cant believe a business would decline the hire of a new detector. For approximately $6000. They get a full 100% return on their investment after 60 days of hire. They get the sales that come from a try before you buy environment and they get to sell the ex demo unit to recover even more profit. There would be insurance on the unit that the shop would have to pay and I am sure there would be a fair size excess applicable, but as I have found with high excesses its a simple case of insuring the excess at a very low rate. Like you can do with a hire car. This is only scraping the top of the benefits of hiring from a business decision point of view. Where the idea of interstate car rego's come into play in the thought process is totally bewildering to me.

Nuggets from Down Under had a GPX 5000 stolen not too long back, went through all the usual credentials check but unfortunately these are easy enough to forge https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=42, you've got to remember they don't make you put down a $6000 deposit before you leave, so in this case $6000 just walked out the door never to return.

Nugget.

Hi,
I am looking to hire a metal detector in Melbourne (to give the hobby a shot before going all out and buying a detector) and was wondering if anybody knows a good place to hire one from for a reasonable cost.

I don't think I can post links since I haven't made many posts, but so far I've found a website called DETECT ($50 for a one day hire of ACE-250!) and Kennards Hire seems to have them too, but couldn't find any prices for them.

Yikes, haven't really done the research about different types of detectors yet... I was hoping there'd be a nice all-rounder. Guess it's time to get reading!

Thank you for the company name, Beagleboy!

Are there any detectors up for hire at all? Like a Goldseeker or Nuggetfinder type..? My detector only detects metal and trash, I put a 2 gram nugget under it and it gave me nothing, not even a flicker of movement or sound. It doesn't have to be a great detector, but at least find me some gold.

Latest posts