Introduction

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning a trip to Australia to visit my daughter who lives in Melbourne.

In January I will be visiting Katoomba, NSW with the family.

I have done some gold panning in Helmsdale, Scotland and would love to take the kids somewhere near Katoomba to show them how to pan for gold.

Could anybody give me some stream names or places where I might have some success?

I will have a shovel and a pan, no sluices or metal detector.

Thanks
Stuart

Gday Stuart,
Welcome to the site.
There is plenty of information on here of where to pan for gold. I would suggest a trip up to Sofala and Hill End which is on the Turon River and there is plenty of gold to be panned up there if the river is low enough. There is also plenty to see in the way of history relating to the gold rush era. Its only around 140km from Katoomba to Sofala and should under 2 hours to get there.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob and Roy,

Thanks for the ideas. I have been looking at the internet and it looks like there is alluvial gold all along the Turon river. I will give it a go.

Before we go to Katoomba my wife and I will be heading up from Melbourne to Batlow.

Way way back in 1981 we were two long-haired backpackers hitch hiking and working our way round Australia.

Somehow or other we ended up in Batlow picking apples and ever since we have stayed in touch with the couple who took us in.

We plan to spend 3 days in the area, and now that gold fever has taken hold, maybe you would also know some places where we can go panning in that area.

I understand we need some kind of permit. Does each state have its own permit?

Thanks
Stuart

Hi

I thought I should tell you how it worked out last year. It was amazing.

Sylvia and I went up to Beechworth and panned around there, then went up to Batlow to see our friends from when we were traveling back in 1981.

After a week or so we met up with the kids in Melbourne and we drove along the coast to Sydney.

I did take them via Oallen Ford where we met up with Shivan and his high banker and then up to the Turon river so they could see the country a wee bit and also do some more panning.

Thanks for the help. Great folk and a lot of fun.

Stuart

Hi

Great that the international borders are now opening up so we can get to see our daughter again. It has been a while.

We are going to visit Mt Kosciuszko with a stop over in Bright.

Could anyone help with locations for panning in this area?

Thanks
Stuart

Latest posts