Interesting Reading

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7.62marksman said:
Never heard of that before.
Sheesh, what an epic failure planting that was. Its said 5 people died looking for it and dozens convinced they would find it, quit their jobs and went broke losing everything they had. A real modern day story of madness and greed. Not Fenns fault as we make our own choices but if it was me I'd wish id never thought of the idea. Good intention ruined by mans greed.

Heres an interesting story, I grew up a couple of miles away from Newbridge and had never heard of Maryanne Tattersall, although there is a Chinese grave in a corner of the cemetery. I've never heard any more other than this story and wonder if she was dug up looking for buried treasure, Newbridge did have gold mines around but there would not have been much at Newbridge in 1855 and the grave would have predated the cemetery and probably the town which didn't develop until the railway arrived in 1876.

THE body of a woman buried in a lonely bush grave south of Bathurst in 1855 has been dug up and taken from the site.

The grave is that of Maryann Tattersall, who died on September 20, 1855. Its believed this grave at Newbridge is one of the oldest in Blayney Shire.

The iron fence which surrounded the grave is also missing.

The headstone and plinth were found buried under the soil removed from the grave, which appears to have been excavated recently by hand.

There is no apparent evidence of human remains in the open grave, which is around 1.7 metres deep.

After hearing of the graves desecration from my brother Chris Freestone, whose property adjoins the densely wooded area where the grave is located, I ventured to Newbridge on Saturday afternoon to see what damage had been done.

Maryann Tattersalls grave is not actually in Newbridge cemetery, but in remnant bushland fenced off from both the cemetery and my brothers property, Wychwood.

To get to the site its necessary to trek through timbered country into a slight gully. The grave is not visible from either Newbridge cemetery or my brothers property.

Upon arrival I was shocked at the vandalism and I wonder what would drive someone to dig up a body which was laid to rest 153 years ago.

I learned of this lonely grave some years ago through my brother who, like me has an interest in history. I had visited the site once before.

Luckily, Chris photographed Maryann Tattersalls grave some years ago.

On Saturday, our first inspection of the area revealed a rectangular hole where the grave had been. There were large piles of loosely packed soil surrounding the hole, indicating the desecration was relatively recent.

The area is heavily wooded and it appears it would have been impossible to get machinery into the area to excavate the grave.

At first there was no sign of the the headstone, plinth or iron fence.

My nephews dog, Horse, began scratching around in one of the piles of soil and in the process revealed the corner of the plinth.

The Hamer family, who are constructing a wall in Newbridge cemetery for the interment of ashes, brought along a shovel and some digging revealed Maryann Tattersalls headstone lying face down in one of the piles of dirt.

Blayney and Bathurst police have been informed of the desecration and were examining the scene yesterday.

Linky to story https://www.westernadvocate.com.au/story/898604/who-dug-up-this-old-grave/

Regards,
Tote

Tote said:
Heres an interesting story, I grew up a couple of miles away from Newbridge and had never heard of Maryanne Tattersall, although there is a Chinese grave in a corner of the cemetery. I've never heard any more other than this story and wonder if she was dug up looking for buried treasure, Newbridge did have gold mines around but there would not have been much at Newbridge in 1855 and the grave would have predated the cemetery and probably the town which didn't develop until the railway arrived in 1876.

THE body of a woman buried in a lonely bush grave south of Bathurst in 1855 has been dug up and taken from the site.

The grave is that of Maryann Tattersall, who died on September 20, 1855. Its believed this grave at Newbridge is one of the oldest in Blayney Shire.

The iron fence which surrounded the grave is also missing.

The headstone and plinth were found buried under the soil removed from the grave, which appears to have been excavated recently by hand.

There is no apparent evidence of human remains in the open grave, which is around 1.7 metres deep.

After hearing of the graves desecration from my brother Chris Freestone, whose property adjoins the densely wooded area where the grave is located, I ventured to Newbridge on Saturday afternoon to see what damage had been done.

Maryann Tattersalls grave is not actually in Newbridge cemetery, but in remnant bushland fenced off from both the cemetery and my brothers property, Wychwood.

To get to the site its necessary to trek through timbered country into a slight gully. The grave is not visible from either Newbridge cemetery or my brothers property.

Upon arrival I was shocked at the vandalism and I wonder what would drive someone to dig up a body which was laid to rest 153 years ago.

I learned of this lonely grave some years ago through my brother who, like me has an interest in history. I had visited the site once before.

Luckily, Chris photographed Maryann Tattersalls grave some years ago.

On Saturday, our first inspection of the area revealed a rectangular hole where the grave had been. There were large piles of loosely packed soil surrounding the hole, indicating the desecration was relatively recent.

The area is heavily wooded and it appears it would have been impossible to get machinery into the area to excavate the grave.

At first there was no sign of the the headstone, plinth or iron fence.

My nephews dog, Horse, began scratching around in one of the piles of soil and in the process revealed the corner of the plinth.

The Hamer family, who are constructing a wall in Newbridge cemetery for the interment of ashes, brought along a shovel and some digging revealed Maryann Tattersalls headstone lying face down in one of the piles of dirt.

Blayney and Bathurst police have been informed of the desecration and were examining the scene yesterday.

Linky to story https://www.westernadvocate.com.au/story/898604/who-dug-up-this-old-grave/

Regards,
Tote

That is nothing short of bloody disgraceful behaviour ]:D seeing it was done in 2008 have you heard any outcome from the police investigation.

I went down to the Old Jubilee today and took a couple of pics. It is a beautiful place and very peaceful. I didn`t go near the main structures or the gold vault or the dam.

This is the cyanide plant with some structures still there .

1592129699_one.jpg

1592129721_two.jpg

1592129739_three.jpg

1592129767_four.jpg

Ok Bullet proof vest is on helmet and gas mask

To me this is pushing political correctness over the top
i have been doing this since i was still pissing my pants and now it suddenly has a new meaning as per the news the other night
WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THIS WORLD
No wonder i head bush so much

https://medium.com/s/story/does-the-ok-sign-actually-signify-white-power-or-what-6cf3309df985

I think maybe this will be modded very quick so i will cook the pop corn now

1592488707_9.jpg

Latest posts