How you going in this Heat

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone noticed any increased snake activity with the heat?
I was out on Sunday and felt aware but ok on high ground. Stopped off to look at the river at one point and after standing there for a while noticed some light brown scales moving through the grass a couple of meters away. Did my best Monty Python silly walk and got the hell out of there.

What heat! Only been over 30C a couple of times here in Perth.
Interesting Jaros your mention of overhead fans, worked in the tropics for a number of years, aircon was useless with the humidity, overhead fans did the job.
Every home since moving south has had fans fitted soon after moving in.

I sit around shirtless and shoeless with the fan on med to hi and am ok at 32 deg. My wife won't come at walking around in that state. Buggered if i know why???? ;)
Disambiguation never bothered me..... :8

It's been getting up into the mid 30's lately here in Darwin, but since we have been getting a lot of rain over the last couple of weeks, it's going to start cooling down, where I live is not far from the sea, so I do get some sea breeze coming in, and Darwin is located in the Tropics too, I used to live in a place in Western Australia, called Kununurra, it's located near the Ord River, anyway, the temperature used to get up to 42 degrees in the middle of the day, when I was working in my dad's workshop, we would have an industrial-strength pedestal fan going all the time, but we would still have to change our shirts every few hours cause they would get soaked with sweat.

It always helps to keep your fluid levels up, and not get dehydrated, by drinking lots of water, apparently the human body needs on average about 8 liters of water per day to prevent dehydration, you can tell if your getting dehydrated by a couple of ways, if you're out in the hot sun and you start developing a headache, that's one of the signs that you're dehydrated, especially if you're feeling a bit hung-over too, the other way to tel if you're dehydrated is to gently pinch the skin on the back of your hand and notice how long it takes to go back to normal, the longer it takes the more dehydrated you are.

When a person sweats, they lose body fluids so you need to replenish it by drinking water, sweating is also the body's natural cooling system.

Muscle cramps are another sign of dehydration too.

PabloP said:
Mackka said:
A few hundred, consider yourself lucky mate. Last year at this time in Brissie no air con. New Year and $1,500 later peace at last, new motor.
This year , a week before Christmas,, Mother Board s$@*ts itself, $900 , am I complaining, no, why, because I am sitting in 23C and drinking a red.
Thank you all tradesmen.
Mackka

That was a few hundred to have them argue as to what was wrong and where, not to find or fix the issue and they would still be going at it if I hadn't done the hard yards to localise the issue for them. I expect it will be $500 - $1000, to get it resolved, even though it is only a wiring issue.

Such is life. Happy New Year to all.

Rob P

I was close, the extra work came in at just under $500 for the fix, so all up about $700, but at least I now have AC for Fridays expected 42 deg stinker.

Rob P

Talking of this coming Friday be careful no matter where you are it'll be a shocker by all reports. I can't remember any other time than Black Saturday in 07 when a state wide TFB was declared this early out from the actual day. Stay safe only travel if necessary most of all keep hydrated and check on the elderly and unwell people in your neck of the woods. Thankfully there's a late change predicted but given the FDI and TFB declaration I don't think it'll be until later Friday night.
1546418001_img_20190102_192532.jpg

The only change to the FDI imo given the forecast is for worse, hopefully I'm wrong but recent weather has been as the early spring predictions suggested, long hot and dry summer.

Hate heat as i have Hypertension ( High Blood Pressure ) have noticed if its over 25 Deg C i am pretty well fatigued and unless at work do very little?
Been this way around 3 years but its getting progressively worse? On pills for it but there are negative side effects?

Would like to head to Alaska till end of Feb, not looking forward to Friday. :fire: :N: 8.( :lol: :/ :argh: :eek: :( :money:

As I thought tomorrow's FDI has changed it's going to be a shocker lucky for me I'm working from home :Y:
1546497683_img_20190103_173827.jpg

We are in the middle of 2 weeks of high 30's to low 40's and the air conditioner in our dining room, kitchen has packed it in. :/ 8.( :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:
As there are only 2 of us now that is where we spend most of our time. No sense heating up other rooms we don't need. This air con has really done pretty well. It was under water for a week when we got flooded 3 or 4 years ago and it has kept battling on each summer. Pulled the fan motor out yesterday and I hope to rebuild it. The issue seems to be no grease in the bearings. It was making horrid noises in it's final days and over heating. Hopefully I can clean it out and replace the bearings.

Oh well... back to the living room for now.

meanwhile in WA ... we have had a very mild summer so far in the lower s/west. have even had isolated showers across some areas & rained in Bunbury the other night. :cloudy: :cloudy:
really only had a couple of very hot days.

Latest posts