How you going in this Heat

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On 13 September 2012 the World Meteorological Organisation disqualified the record for the highest recorded temperature, exactly 90 years after it had been established at El Azizia, Libya, with a measurement of 58C. The official highest recorded temperature is now 56.7C (134F), which was measured on 10 July 1913

Iv'e known 50C , 18 years ago ' we had a water air cooler on the roof that was working at it's best performance , could only drop the temp to 38C inside .
Anything above 40C is hard on animals , I get all my dogs & cats inside when the Temps go up .

Ended up in hospital twice in three weeks from the heat. Went into congestive cardiac failure with fluid overloads in the feet and lungs and around the heart. Back to normal now. Have to take 2x40mg lasix a day to keep the fluid down and the failure at bay.Have not felt better in years now although I pee quite a lot more now.

I dunno how some of you blokes do it, its been 8 years since I returned from Canada and I still cant handle the heat. Admittedly I moved back here to a fairly mild climate.
Living in the snow belt in Canada I got used to -20C and below, way below. A few times I witnessed down to -48C and thats equally as dangerous as some of the extreme heat you guys have to deal with.
Stay safe all. :beer:

Outback said:
On 13 September 2012 the World Meteorological Organisation disqualified the record for the highest recorded temperature, exactly 90 years after it had been established at El Azizia, Libya, with a measurement of 58C. The official highest recorded temperature is now 56.7C (134F), which was measured on 10 July 1913

Iv'e known 50C , 18 years ago ' we had a water air cooler on the roof that was working at it's best performance , could only drop the temp to 38C inside .
Anything above 40C is hard on animals , I get all my dogs & cats inside when the Temps go up .

I survived 63 Celsius while working in a confined space once , entering 3 times for 2 - 3 minutes each time then resting 10 minutes or so in between .

After the last one I got out knowing 100 % clearly that if I went inside it once more it would have killed me.

:awful:

Crazy shit we do killing ourselves to make a living.

HeadsUp said:
I survived 63 Celsius while working in a confined space once , entering 3 times for 2 - 3 minutes each time then resting 10 minutes or so in between .

After the last one I got out knowing 100 % clearly that if I went inside it once more it would have killed me.

Crazy shite we do killing ourselves to make a living.

Guess you were in a roof space ' bloody dangerous at those temp's !
But you had to make a living so good on ya " :beer:

Outback said:
HeadsUp said:

Crazy shite we do killing ourselves to make a living.

Guess you were in a roof space ' bloody dangerous at those temp's !
But you had to make a living so good on ya " :beer:

Not a roof space , it was inside a spherical tank while doing air arc gouging , it was only 1800 mm diameter and had nowhere for the hot air to go , in summer with me wearing leather trousers , leather jacket , Kevlar proban hood and gloves . The molten metal was wizzing around inside the tank then coming to rest against my trousered legs adding to the fun.

:fire:

Jaros said:
You could have cooked your sausages for lunch in your pockets!! I think we have all done some bloody stupid things for the sake of our jobs.

Can remember as a kid on dads farm he used to fry eggs, bit of dripping on a shovel laid out in the sun, then slap them between a couple of slices of bread.
Doing relines in the iron ore crusher on Koolan Island back in the 60/70's, because of the humidity you could actually see rivulets of perspiration squirting out of your pores. We survived on salt tablets (handfuls at a time and warm water)
What is used these days because I think salt tablets were withdrawn because of health risk?

Going to be a HOT week here in Maitland. I'll be heading to work shortly. Good news is I'll be closer to the coast so it'll be cooler by 3 or 4 degrees. Bad news... I'll be outside a lot.

1547517306_weather1.jpg

So what's classified as a heat record? Does it have to be recognized by a weather station?

You know we hear of climate change , global warming ect.. I reckon it's a load of :poop:
Cause if you look back in time you find similar occurrences 100years ago. So it happened then,, were the old timers all crying global warming...? Probs not.

Was at Karara Qld, normally dig and chisel 6 x30 Litres buckets because of the heat can only do 3 before I'm cooked

Nightjar said:
Jaros said:
You could have cooked your sausages for lunch in your pockets!! I think we have all done some bloody stupid things for the sake of our jobs.

Can remember as a kid on dads farm he used to fry eggs, bit of dripping on a shovel laid out in the sun, then slap them between a couple of slices of bread.
Doing relines in the iron ore crusher on Koolan Island back in the 60/70's, because of the humidity you could actually see rivulets of perspiration squirting out of your pores. We survived on salt tablets (handfuls at a time and warm water)
What is used these days because I think salt tablets were withdrawn because of health risk?

Construction sites and mine sites use squincher , available as cordial or powder in a sachet.

it really does minimise risk of heatstroke , my estimate is a 100% increase in bodily strength / resilience to fatigue through the workday.

PS , I wouldnt recommend it to be used every day in case it overloads your organs , just on the absolute massively stinking scorcher mofo days...

I went into a store today and pulled out a card to pay with Eftpos , the guy walked into their lunchroom and grabbed the eftpos machine from the fridge , he said it was playing up due to the heat but the fridge fixed it nicely.

We only had 34 degrees at the time , maybe it was the remote influence from my avatar. :fire:

Well it got to 39.9 on my home weather station today. I got out of the terminal today to do my re-certification. This is down every 2 years. Two days of exams, inductions etc plus 1 day out on the tracks to check my train driving skills are still up to par. I enjoyed having a drive as I don't do it as much as I would like. It was 45C in the Hunter Valley.... Singleton.

Tomorrow is forecast to be even hotter. 40c tomorrow and 43 Friday. I am happy to have a couple of days off to stay out of the heat.

1547649117_49212655_850884358637818_1752226118510837760_n.jpg

1547649142_20190117_012723.jpg

Latest posts