how many of you have a 4x4

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
deepblue said:
New Pajero VRX, Drove too many Hilux's and Prado's on mine sites needed a change.

My husband and his father swear by pajeros. They arnt given the recognition they deserve IMO.

Have had toyota's for the last 20 years, hilux's first then moved on to 80's, 100's and now my 200 series " lounge chair on wheels".

Never had a problem other than ripping out the sensor wires to the gearbox in the middle of nowhere and shorting a fuse that stopped me dead in my tracks for a couple of hours until I could retire and solve the problem

Just took delivery last wednesday a 2014 holden colorado ltz 4wd crew cab :D
Very comfy ride and heaps of torque

i have a 2009 triton single cab and a 1990 gq Nissan wagon which I bought the other day to do up as a prospecting rig

Seriously thinking about dropping coin on a new suzuki jimny for use as an exploration vehicle outback. Apparently they're largely unchanged in their 15 years of production albeit a the VVT engine. I know they're decent off road, have great fuel economy and still have old school reliability/simplicity. They get horrendous reviews online mainly due to a lack of on road comfort but I do ride 900km stretches on my dirt bike at times so doubt I'd be too fazed. Removing the back seats and adding a roof top tent should make for a good platform for solo travels.

they are a great little tourer mate have seen many of them outback in qld and pushed a few out that had bottomed out as well :) being so light a highlift jack would get you out of just about anywhere and you could get away with a boat hand driven winch as well. My only advice would be stick to mechanical models as much as possible because electrics are a bitch !

I won't knock the jimmies. I've seen 4wdrive mags with slighty modified jimmies and they are weapons. a bloke I know has one with a 2" lift and I think lockers, and it carries all his detecting and prospecting gear and he tows it with an - A frame behind his motor home.
:) Mick

I've got a 2003 Pajero. Can't fault it. The only thing that's gone wrong with it is the temp/fuel gauge playing up. But I was told by numerous people that it was a common fault. As stated above, the little Suzukis are a great little truck. Saw one snatch a Nissan Patrol out of the sand up on Stockton beach once. Patrol was almost up to its axles in sand at the time. Very impressive sight to see.

You're not worried about the temp gauge playing up on the Pajero? A mate of mine drives a 2002? Pajero and speaks highly of it. Has taken many a beating on severe corrugations and still nothing falling off. They're definitely built tough.

As for the Jimny snatching a patrol. I don't doubt you. It just depends on how much force is needed to pull the patrol out. Sometimes they can even be pushed out by a group of people when they haven't bogged down too far. At 1100 kg kerb, with enough traction available I don't see why the Jimny couldn't do the job. Especially with a little momentum (e=mc2) adds up to a lot of kinetic energy if someone wants to do the math. If the patrol was anchored down to the axles though it might be impossible.

With the patrol down to the axles only it might'n be to bad, now if it was down to the chassis, good luck. The key would be preparation which means shovelling all the sand from around the wheels and as much as you can and from underneath as well. If you have a set of max traks, chuck them under the wheels and it should come out easy. My brother seen a suzi (lj 80, late 70's model) pull out a toyota cruiser tray back fully loaded with fishing and camping gear on Fraser island using this method and it well and truely down to the chassis. Max traks weren't thought of then, they used conveyor belt.

I can only say what I have seen happen. I was shocked when he got it out. As far as I could work out a lot of it had to do with the snatch strap and knowing how to use it properly. The fellow that owned the Suzuki was from a 4x4 group up that way somewhere and knew what he was doing.
Nuggetino, I have had the temp check on the Pajero numerous times at the mechanics and it always says that the temp is fine. It works every now and then, just have to hit a bump on the road the right way...... I will get it fixed one day.

nuggetino said:
Seriously thinking about dropping coin on a new suzuki jimny for use as an exploration vehicle outback. Apparently they're largely unchanged in their 15 years of production albeit a the VVT engine. I know they're decent off road, have great fuel economy and still have old school reliability/simplicity. They get horrendous reviews online mainly due to a lack of on road comfort but I do ride 900km stretches on my dirt bike at times so doubt I'd be too fazed. Removing the back seats and adding a roof top tent should make for a good platform for solo travels.

Just recently purchased a 2010 Jimny fitted out with a roof top tent and camp drawers - intend getting to a few out of the way places down the south coast - liking it so far

My 2c worth, A camper trailer would be good as a base camp then use jimmy as the exploration vehicle. A roof top tent may make the jimmy a bit top heavy. Fit an awning to jimmy (have you heard of a fox wing awning, when they are opened up they provide cover for the side and back), this will serve a dual purpose (1) shade, (2) if you wander to from base camp or you find the big one and don't want to leave, throw a swag under the awning for an ovenight camp. If money and the m.o.f allows, get a deep cycle dry cell battery, (90amp minimum) these can be placed any where and in any position. This'll be good for running a little fridge and lights.

littleazza said:
I was right in to 4x4ing and would drive some very hard tracks i now only use it for going to the harder out of the way spots for gold i havent found many people with one that go out looking for gold . I now have a hilux with 4.5 inch lift and 33's when i get some more gold ill add a winch just for safety so i can get out and home cos one day i wont with some of the tracks i drive
I have 4x4 @non off rd van @xt705 ,

2little experience,but eager to learn :p

axeman said:
My 2c worth, A camper trailer would be good as a base camp then use jimmy as the exploration vehicle. A roof top tent may make the jimmy a bit top heavy. Fit an awning to jimmy (have you heard of a fox wing awning, when they are opened up they provide cover for the side and back), this will serve a dual purpose (1) shade, (2) if you wander to from base camp or you find the big one and don't want to leave, throw a swag under the awning for an ovenight camp. If money and the m.o.f allows, get a deep cycle dry cell battery, (90amp minimum) these can be placed any where and in any position. This'll be good for running a little fridge and lights.

Cheers Mick, At the moment I'm still looking for a jimny and to sell my current 4x4 but nothings set in stone as to how I'll have it set up. I like the idea of the fox wing awning I'll have to look into that option as I agree less weight up top is always better. It'll serve as my home for 6 months to a year as I'm taking a year off work for prospecting/traveling. Yeah the trailer would be base camp most likely.

willo1 said:
I can only say what I have seen happen. I was shocked when he got it out. As far as I could work out a lot of it had to do with the snatch strap and knowing how to use it properly. The fellow that owned the Suzuki was from a 4x4 group up that way somewhere and knew what he was doing.
Nuggetino, I have had the temp check on the Pajero numerous times at the mechanics and it always says that the temp is fine. It works every now and then, just have to hit a bump on the road the right way...... I will get it fixed one day.

Lol yeah I had a similar problem with a mitsubishi express ute. Low oil light would come on whenever you hit a bump. as a good reminder to change my oil from time to time. The quirks on our cars add personality. Found this clip on the tube of a jimny towing a cruiser near the beach. Must have been a similar sight to what you witnessed? :cool:
[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsfWw-U_-fQ[/video]
[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOWOstUEER0[/video]

G0lddigg@ said:
forgive my skepticism but I cant see how a 600kg truck can pull a 2700kg out of the sand...

I'm in full agreeance, not in this lifetime, took a second look the wrangler is under it's own power, and the troopy, well if thats bogged I be buggered

Latest posts