Highbanker, Honda WX15 Water Pump

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nugget said:
100% agree with above.

Today while in search of a lightweight suction hose I was asked if I had a foot valve, stumped as to what this was they explained that its required to prevent the pump from draining out during priming. Is this thing necessary or does the Honda have an inbuilt valve of some sort?

Also I've now been to 6 pool, irrigation and pump shops now and no one can sell me 2mtrs of lightweight 1.5" ribbed pool hose, it seems to only come in 9mtr rolls and costs around $80 8.(. At the last place I went to, I ended up buying some proper suction hose but its quite stiff and remains in the shape of a horse shoe, so basically its pretty bloody useless :mad:

hey nugget pretty spot on mate pickup hose or suction hose is generally pretty stiff. get yourself a mappro gas torch and bend it to your will ;)

G0lddigg@ said:
Nugget said:
100% agree with above.

Today while in search of a lightweight suction hose I was asked if I had a foot valve, stumped as to what this was they explained that its required to prevent the pump from draining out during priming. Is this thing necessary or does the Honda have an inbuilt valve of some sort?

Also I've now been to 6 pool, irrigation and pump shops now and no one can sell me 2mtrs of lightweight 1.5" ribbed pool hose, it seems to only come in 9mtr rolls and costs around $80 8.(. At the last place I went to, I ended up buying some proper suction hose but its quite stiff and remains in the shape of a horse shoe, so basically its pretty bloody useless :mad:

hey nugget pretty spot on mate pickup hose or suction hose is generally pretty stiff. get yourself a mappro gas torch and bend it to your will ;)

The problem I face is that I would want to coil it for transportation, then extend it when using, then coil it up again.

Nugget said:
100% agree with above.

Got a mate down here who owns a pool shop, Send me a PM and I'll get some sent up to you. It's the best hose for the job, and regarding foot valves.... with the Honda you don't need one, they're self priming. Another bonus for buying Quality. Just stick the plastic strainer on the end of the hose, place hose in water lift hose twice with water in the hose to prime the pump, (don't need to prime pump through prime cap). Start pump and it will stay primed all week. ;)

Cheers Wal.

Nugget I have it all here on the central Coast,
irrigation shop that will cut any length you require all fitting
storz, Bsp, Camlock, brass plastic aluminum.
Gate valves, plastic, pvc, stainless steel, brass
every hose you will need
lay flat,
solid pvc
rubber
ribbed
all clamps high pressure
low pressure
everything is in stock
all PVC Fittings for spray bars
Blk irrigation fittings.
as well as a wealth of knowledge.
open till 12pm saturdays.
prices are way better than Ebay no freight

just say gold.... they will swamp you.
it is a one stop shop.
all pump
Honda
subaru robin 2 and 4 stroke
great prices.

Central coast irrigation
peats ridge nsw

they look after all the citrus veggy avocados market gardeners.
in the basin and valleys.

Enough teasing smithy, whats the name please & can we put it in the thread started recently by HeadsUp.
Sounds great, as does the air seed hose by Mudguts which appears to be light weight.

Nugget said:
100% agree with above.

G'day Nugget.
I use a small 25mm foot valve on that little pump of mine. It was quite cheap and made of black poly, material. The only issue I find is that when water levels are quite low, you will find stuff like leaves, small pebbles etc etc will get in the screen and hold the valve open slightly, with obvious results, and you end up having to prime on restart anyway. Sometimes, when there is very little water, say just 5 or 6 inches (125 to 150mm ) for you imperially challenged amongst us, I have to lay my hose and valve in the water horizontally and then gravity will sometimes keep the valve open slightly.

I'm going to build a primer setup for my pump. Basically, you drill a hole in the plastic priming bung on the pump, hot glue a tube in the hole, fit a small tap to the bottom of a container and attach the other end of the tube to the tap.

When you want to prime, lift up the container, open the tap to let the water drain out of the container into the pump then start up with the tap open. Once the pump starts up, water also flows back into the container. When full, turn off the tap and you're ready for next time.

Just remember, the tube and tap needs to be big enough to allow the water to flow back in pretty quick as the foot valve, Which we will presume is only slightly ajar because of a leaf, gravity or whatever, will let the water out as you try to prime.

It wont work every time, but it will most of the time. I'd still go with the foot valve, especially in trashy holes, as it will work better than an open pipe and screen setup. Mind you, if I make up a smaller screen over my foot valve with shade cloth or whatever, then I'll fix some of my problems.

Cheers, Ron.

Cheers, Ron.

Nugget said:
100% agree with above.

Hey Mate,

I was in Clark Rubber at Kotara only yesterday and they had it Blue or White in barrels selling by the metre both around 7 or 8 bucks a metre I think.

I have the same issue with my solid inlet but was over come by a large rock on it to hold it straight and under the water. I don't have a foot valve as well and if you get the revs up in the high range and be patient the water will start to flow. Don't forget to take the rubber bung from the top of the pump and fill with water to prime it. Also once its shutdown for a break there is minimal revs to get the water flowing again on restart.

I will be trying Wals method of priming next week, makes sense and will speed up priming.

Cheers

slowflow said:
Enough teasing smithy, whats the name please & can we put it in the thread started recently by HeadsUp.
Sounds great, as does the air seed hose by Mudguts which appears to be light weight.

www.thinkwaterpeatsridge.com.au

780 peats ridge rd nsw 2250

phone 02 43731466
formally Complete Irrigation peats Ridge.

great to deal with......reliable service !

non of this having to purchase a full roll........they will supply just what you need.

I have no affiliation with this company what so ever............I just like there service and products.
Also it may be because I drive past 3 times per week.

Ps they will take lay buys on Pumps.
cheers
TheSmithy

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I dropped into another Bunnings today on my travels and picked up two 1mtr lengths of the white ribbed hose @ $9/ea. I also grabbed some PVC cement and sealed the two pieces together to be sure to be sure. I found the white one was just a tad more flexible than the grey and blue, but just as durable.

I'm going to fire the Walbanker up in the backyard tomorrow before taking it to Nundle on Wednesday for it's first test run :)

I was gearing up to give the Walbanker a spin in the backyard this afternoon and ran into a slight problem, one of the camlock adapters won't screw onto the pump fully :mad:. I'm using a metal one on the delivery side and poly on the suction as they only had the one metal in stock, it's the poly that won't screw on. So, now it looks like I'm back to the local irrigation shop tomorrow to see if anymore metal adapters have come in, if not I shall start town hopping again 8.(

I ended up getting the required adapter and took the Walbanker out for a spin on Wednessday. I'm running 20mtrs of red layflat hose for delivery and 2mtrs of pool suction hose on the suction side and found it only needed a little more than 1/4 throttle. I've now ran the pump for about 6 hours and all and I'm very impressed with it so far.

Nugget said:
I ended up getting the required adapter and took the Walbanker out for a spin on Wednessday. I'm running 20mtrs of red layflat hose for delivery and 2mtrs of pool suction hose on the suction side and found it only needed a little more than 1/4 throttle. I've now ran the pump for about 6 hours and all and I'm very impressed with it so far.
when are you putting dirt through it nugget 8)

dwt said:
Nugget said:
when are you putting dirt through it nugget 8)

Wednesday just gone :D

1394778702_walbanker-in-action.jpg

I'm still panning off the concentrates and averaging 1-3 specks per pan, it's not great but better than nothing.

That pic was prior to my first cleanout where it was apparent that more flow and angle was required.

Definitely need a few more degrees in angle there Nugget. Hope you bring the unit to the Tuena outing as we can go through the correct settings in about one minute flat. ;)

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
Great stuff. We can put it through its paces and after the outing weekend you'll be an expert "Banker" operator. ;)

Would love to partake in that tutorial if possible?

I think I m blasting my gold out the end, too steep or too much water or both?

Should have tested it out in the field!!! Still have a lot to learn!

I test pan 5 specks, then shovel wildly for an hour in the same spot. When doing a test clean out their would be only be about 20 specks.

I bought home 4 buckets of gravel from Windeyer to play with the angle and flow setups. Will suss it out this week.

Need to get some sloped expanded mesh for the gold as well, currently have the catwalk mesh only.

Latest posts