Hi from Scarsdale VIC

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been living in Scarsdale VIC for around 3.5 years now, surrounded by old diggings.
The better half and myself have been looking for something to do on weekends to get outside so decided on giving gold detecting a go.
Not expecting much but if we find a few pieces here and there it would be great.

Been reading and watching youtube on lots of different things detecting related and trying to learn how to 'read' all the old diggings - there is a lot to learn !

Cheers, Scott

Welcome aboard, can't go wrong starting out in a good spot :goldnugget:

Welcome Scott! I've also been brushing up on as much research as i can and looking through old posts for information and so on this place is great theres lots of people here just full of information just need to ask. Scarsdale is a nice quiet area and nice and close to some great spots looking forward to seeing what you dig up :pickshovel:

Hi Scott. Lots of good places around Scarsdale. Berringa, Linton, Happy Valley, Misery Creek and have detected gold at all of them.
Good to hear that you have been doing a bit of research about gold prospecting. I am sure the Ballarat library would have lots of books about the early goldfields and perhaps about prospecting in general and I would recommend you raid their shelves for heaps of bedtime reading to whet your appetite.
Starting out detecting first can be a bit daunting as you would need a top detector (recommend minimum of a good used 5000 or 2300) and then you have to acquire the skill and knowledge to detect your first nugget. I have seen many fail because of high expectations unmet through lack of skill and knowledge and the other necessary ingredient a bit of luck.
Also recommend you perhaps try you hand at panning your first gold in the field (Not at the pond in Sovereign Hill).
Learning where to sniff out the gold is equally important for both detectorists and panners.
Good Luck

Latest posts