Hello from Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
The name's John, I'm 21 and I haven't done any prospecting or fossicking before but I am looking to try it out over these Christmas holidays. Not looking to make a fortune or anything just want to try something new and maybe find some really cool things along the way.

Welcome John, it's a great hobby to get into.

Are you looking at metal detecting or trying your luck at panning?

Panning can be very rewarding & fun. Takes practice though. But it's easy to pick up. Get yourself a decent pan too. I got this today in a couple hrs here in Bendigo
image-10.jpg

Nice, I'm from the Northern Suburbs so I might try Warrandyte, as far as I know you are allowed to pan there but metal detectors are banned.

Hi another vic. My brother lives in warburton & I live Pakenham. At present I can't drive but after xmas when I recovery enough to Drive again might be able to organize some detecting with you. Under Strict orders rest & recovery.

Hi john. my name is Andrew and im new to this hobbie too, ive just got my detector last week and am waiting for the rest of my gear like my pan and pick even lol, i still havent gone out yet and am hangin out to go, im not out to make a mil, just a new hobbie that looks fun.... im from melbourne.

Hey Dave and Grechie, sounds good, we should all get together and organize a prospecting adventure. I actually just found a pan that I bought from sovereign hill at least 7 years ago. Might just use that one before I get a good one.

Sounds great but I'm outa action probly till the end of january at least, but could also be alot longer. Just had Op can't even dress myself yet. .
And NO I don't want your help LOL

Sounds good John... i just went out and had my first go at panning on saturday, was good, we found a few specs of gold, and i got to learn and try something new... ive ordered my own pans from ebay, il probly get them after christmas, il let you know and and then maybe we can meet up. oh yea i need to buy a shovel too

Yeah I'm thinking of getting a fold up one like the one Aussie Disposals sells, I'm not allowed to post links yet so I can't show you but I think they are usually called a trench tool, it's nice and compact and has a pick although it would be a light duty tool.

whatever works for you bro, u can use what u like... we were just using a cheap garden shovel lol. however i would recommend a shovel with a long enough shaft to get to the bottom of creeks, places that are deepish.. as well as waders or gumboots

Grechie my panning guy who i got my equipment from recommends a brush from a pan and broome set reckons its the best tool you can have in the bag so to speak. gets into the crack in the bed rock of exposed beds I believe it call crevacing meant to be a very effective way of finding gold whilst panning. At least you seem to be in the right area thats a start.

yea a brush, pan and broom is a must too... if you can find a dried out river bed you can do some crevacing work too even when the river or creek is receeding...i just watched a good video last night on crevacing il try find it and post the link

found it.. am i allowed to post links?... nope i cant so, type in:

how to and where to find gold, video by liz kreate, .. in google

should be first to pop up, its the one with a full pan of gold

Yeah I have seen a lot of her and Wals stuff. She actually really open and quite informative. Would like to see more videos on technics of panning and identifying targets though. Wrong thread but I'd like to see how she get the sapphires in the middle of her sieve. I have put them on my list of things to go after.

Grechie said:
found it.. am i allowed to post links?... nope i cant...

Users can't post links until they have reached a total of 10 posts. You should be fine to post links now as your membership has automatically been upgraded. Check out the Rules for more info on that.

Latest posts