River Access (Victoria)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I would love to know if fossicking in rivers on private land is ok. There's a river I want to sieve in, and it is on a farm block, but I can access it without walking onto the farmer's land. Can I sieve in this creek without permission, as I have no idea who the farmer is and can't contact him. I've heard that the waterways of Victoria are crown land, but haven't seen any official sources saying this.
Thanks,
ManfiCat

Hey everyone,
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I would love to know if fossicking in rivers on private land is ok. There's a river I want to sieve in, and it is on a farm block, but I can access it without walking onto the farmer's land. Can I sieve in this creek without permission, as I have no idea who the farmer is and can't contact him. I've heard that the waterways of Victoria are crown land, but haven't seen any official sources saying this.
Thanks,
ManfiCat
My understanding is if the river goes through private property you need permission. sorry

Perhaps some of this will help:

CROWN LAND WATER FRONTAGE​

A licence over a Crown land water frontage provides personal permission to enter and use the land for a specified purpose but does not offer exclusive use to the licensee. When a Crown land water frontage is licensed, the public retains the right to enter and remain on the land for passive recreational purposes, e.g. walking, fishing or bird watching. However, members of the public are not permitted to camp, light fires or carry firearms on the land.
Also worth noting that this document goes on to say:
Pedestrian access must be provided at any fence that crosses the frontage through the provision of a stile or unlocked gate. However, members of the public are strongly advised to contact the landholder/licensee before accessing any river or stream frontage.

https://www.necma.vic.gov.au/Waterways/Crown-land-water-frontage

This site is very handy in determining the location of Crown Land and Water Frontage reserves, etc.

https://mapshare.vic.gov.au/vicplan/

Also of possible interest:

Access to Crown water frontages​

Victoria has an estimated 85,000 kilometres of rivers and creeks, with approximately 170,000 kilometres of frontage. Approximately 30,000 kilometres of this water frontage is Crown land, reserved under the Crown Land (Reserves) Act 1978 for various purposes, for example, recreation, protection of riverbanks or is unreserved Crown land under the Land Act 1958. The remainder is private land, reserves, parks or state forest.

Crown water frontage is usually a strip of Crown land that runs alongside a waterway. They are typically located between the waterway and a private land boundary. Frontages can vary in width from 20 to 100 metres or more.

Some Crown water frontages are subject to licences issued by DEECA or Parks Victoria to the adjoining landowner/occupier under section 130 of the Land Act 1958. These licences are typically issued to allow the holder to graze livestock on the frontage. DEECA also issues 'riparian management licences', which recognise that the licensee manages all or part of the frontage to protect and improve the riparian environment through fencing off areas from grazing or supporting native vegetation. A licence provides conditions upon which access and use can occur, including the management of the licensed land.

Crown water frontages are a public asset for Victorians' recreational use and enjoyment. Crown water frontage licences do not provide an exclusive right or use by the licensee, and recreational use by the public is permitted.
https://www.forestsandreserves.vic....and/camping-on-licensed-crown-water-frontages

Last edited:

Latest posts