Heatho's Equinox Madness 2018

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice shilling, and enough of making me feel old by calling that a vintage cone! It was a few decades ago but I reckon I had one the same :rolleyes:

Metal detecting can be cruel some days when you find something like this sitting in the hole you just dug....... 8.( :awful: :poop:

This is the second one I've found of these fake coins. Managed a couple of pre dec though so not all was bad.

1536198866_img_20180906_114730.jpg

1536198866_img_20180906_114745.jpg

G'Day Heatho!

Where's the gold baby? I figured you would be good for a couple of new gold rings by now!

I notice folks asking for your advice - and rightly so - but may I ask have you or anyone else reading this seen "The Curse of Oak Island" which is a TV Series in the USA on the History Channel you can find to download via torrents ... which features metal detecting extraordinaire Gary Drayton? Aside from a great treasure hunting show - Gary discovers some "bobby dazzlers" and historical artifacts which are not only exciting but shows us what is really out there if you know where to look!

After watching this series ... clad and silver coins just don't do it for me anymore - there is better treasure to be found!

Really enjoying your never ending threads! :)

Cheers!
Paul

G'day Paul, this was the last one from a few months back.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=420734#p420734

Though now you've popped in to my thread I'm sure the next one is just around the corner. :)

I had seen the show advertised on Foxtel but never watched it for some reason, I'm going to have to check it out now. I know what you mean about standard detecting and the real treasure, I think here in Aus we just have to face the fact that real treasure is few and far between compared to what might be found on the coast of Florida or in Britain or the rest of Europe. We just have to make do knowing that hey we live in the best country but not the best country for ancient treasures.

I'll probably be heading overseas next year to the UK and will certainly be looking at doing some serious detecting for old treasure, though in the meantime just waiting for the hoards of tourists to start flooding into the Northern Beaches for spring and summer holidays. I always push my detectors to the limit to extract the deepest and longest forgotten targets I can find but if it's not there it can't be found, been thinking in a very crafty way as well as to where people might lose things. Hopefully lady luck is with me this season.

If you're still coming up this way at some stage please be sure to contact me, would be great to catch up for a beer.

All the best.

StoneTheCrows said:
Heatho
Whats the story with the fake coins.
Who and why?
Are they just pressed cheap metal?

They feel like some sort of plated plastic, gave a decent signal though and in the range you would expect a nice piece of gold jewellery.

It had some glue on one side and so did the other one, I'm thinking they might be from a bottle of grog or something like that, but geez they get the blood pumping when you see it in the hole with dirt on it, they are a bit bigger than a half sovereign.

Anyway, better luck next time.

Went to my ol honey this morning to test out the Nox update, seems to work well though doesn't seem to hit as hard on 1c coins as it used to in my opinion. The first thing I did was max out the gain for a few minutes and it actually seems to be a bit more stable as I've never been able to run mine flat out around here.

Managed to get 3 silvers and about $20, the rest was from yesterdays pre update hunt.

There was a bit of drama at the oval today, a cop car came screaming up the driveway and out onto the oval, then about 10 more turned up, I asked the first cop what happened and he said a young boy had been badly hurt and there was a chopper coming to land on the oval. I heard about 20 sirens about 20 mins beforehand and the ambos trransported the kid to the oval. Anyway, after a while they seemed to be in no rush so I don't think things look to good for the poor young bloke. :( Anyway hopefully that isn't the case.

1536288188_img_20180907_122938.jpg

1536288189_img_20180907_122950.jpg

1536288188_img_20180907_114505.jpg

Nice finds Heatho.
Hope the boy is ok.
I gave the Nox a swing in the silver sand pit after the update as well..Although I didn't find anything I was running it on full sensitivity and thinking it's very quiet.Im glade you noticed it as well .I'm looking forward to trying it at my extreamly mineralized little beach now :perfect:

Latest posts