Heart Attack!!!!!!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Tathrad

That's one of the things I've been screwing around with ( will I or won't I)

Nice to get positive feedback on Durafix

Bazz

That's terrible. Sounds like he didn't want he job, and quoted an outrageous price, at which he would do it. I once had a mate who was a painter, and he said that he got every job he quoted. Quote was based on proper preparation, two coats etc, and with a decent margin for him. Most customers had previous quotes of an outrageous nature. He reckoned that if those blokes only got one in 10, they would still be doing well.

looks like ur getting screwed pretty hard but will depend on gauge of aluminum and if they use a CNC router. Most welding $100 ph, a sheet of 3mm 2400x 1200 of which you have used the majority is $200+ then you have cutting and bending. a good fabricator would that cutting, welding and folding in under and hour and theyd charge 1.5 hours.

go to a fabricator not a boat builder. they work on too high a margin.

Tathradj said:
And,
If you want to look up "Durafix." Aluminum soldering rods.
I was a bit dubious at first but am now a convert. Absolutely brilliant for those small jobs. :lol:

I tried the duraweld using an oxy and ok for one sided welding but melts if you need to weld both sides?

Just got my new AC tig so can now start practicing.

Other than just buying a Walbanker to make life easier, suggest pop rivets are fine if u don't want to weld, I made a brake to bend my sheet and yes about $80 for a 1.2 by 2.4 sheet of 15mm ally.

Also suggest an Ally tool box maker...there's one on Lane Cove Rd near Putney area Sydney if that helps.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the input, I'm in no rush to be ripped off, so I will search around for a while and find prices so i can make the best decision.

People have been telling me different thicknesses to use, so I am a bit confused.. I want something sturdy but not a pain in the ass to lug around. What has everyone used?
Cheers guys, and thanks again.

Thanks mate, just had a look... Nothing there the size that I want though..
I'm in no rush, I will continue searching and see what I can come up with.
I'm sure I will work it out.

.8 is the go if you want to go portable.
I made my WalBanker from .5 to try and save weight and it is just a bit to thin.
I have a few ideas running around and I am thinking of building another one.

Sure thing and looking forwards to dropping in.
Pity it is 12 months away. I hope to get in 2 trips that way so hang in mate. :D

NickThadik said:
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the input, I'm in no rush to be ripped off, so I will search around for a while and find prices so i can make the best decision.

People have been telling me different thicknesses to use, so I am a bit confused.. I want something sturdy but not a pain in the ass to lug around. What has everyone used?
Cheers guys, and thanks again.

I cant see anything under 15mm being too sturdy for a highbanker, anything over that may be too heavy.

.8 mm is a nice trade off for rigidity and weight for portability.
That is for some thing like a WalBanker.

Used 2mm aluminium for my walbanker - had read of people using 1.6mm aluminium and regretting it. I would be thinking that 0.8 would be the right thickness for galvanised mild steel, not aluminium.

Having fallen with mine rock-hopping, I am glad I went 2mm; it survived with only a bit of a kink in the hopper.