Heart Attack!!!!!!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey everyone, so i have been looking around to build a high banker, got a quote back this morning from a fabrication place and almost had a heart attack when i saw the price they quoted me for just the bottom sluice box here is my drawing.

1434430148_11350053_10152988537403869_539991587_n.jpg

so after talking to them they quoted me $700 and after hearing it i felt a bit sick haha!

there has to be somwhere cheaper to get this done in the sydney area?
i thought maybe $200 if i supplied the alloy sheet.
interested in your feedback, cheers everyone.

Hi Nick,

its a bit rich alright - I guess that is welded up as well , 1st question - why so long?, 1.5m would be adequate with 100mm sides.

I bought a 2mil thick of Aluminum 1.5M x 60cm as an offcut for $30 recently (it is sold by the Kilo).

I think they are ripping you off.

Cheers

Barry

NickThadik said:
hey everyone, so i have been looking around to build a high banker, got a quote back this morning from a fabrication place and almost had a heart attack when i saw the price they quoted me for just the bottom sluice box here is my drawing.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...48_11350053_10152988537403869_539991587_n.jpg

so after talking to them they quoted me $700 and after hearing it i felt a bit sick haha!

there has to be somwhere cheaper to get this done in the sydney area?
i thought maybe $200 if i supplied the alloy sheet.
interested in your feedback, cheers everyone.

you saw my highbanker mate, it cost me $30 to have that all folded up and tig welded, granted it was done through a mate at his shop and i supplied the ally already cut to shape but $700 is steep, you could buy the whole banker pre made and pump for that much

G'day Barry

that's what i thought! i couldn't believe it when i got the message back saying $700 i almost fell out of my chair
yes, cut, bent & welded but still $700 i could get a real nice setup for that...

to answer your first question, my mate and i are both in our early 20's and we want something that we can pump shovel after shovel through for hours and not have to worry about clogging up or losing gold

where did you find that peice?
ive been searchin around Onesteel and a few other big companies and the best price i have found is $110 for a 2mmx1.2mx3.0m sheet which i figure is enough to build the whole thing including the hopper braces and have a little leftover.

Hey Nick

They saw you coming mate!!!

Like Yobskin I'm building a rocker and I paid $90 for the material and bending and some other pieces mine won't come in anywhere near $750 but I'd be putting on my shopping shoes

Yep they have way too much to do

Cheers

Bazz

Bazz said:
Hey Nick

Like Yobskin I'm building a rocker and I paid $90 for the material and bending and some other pieces mine won't come in anywhere near $750 but I'd be putting on my shopping shoes

Cheers

Bazz
Have i started a rocker box trend Bazz....hahahahaha

Hi Nick,

That was a Aluminum Boat builder in Nowra. The same guy built my top box for me out of 3mil and all welded for about $60.

rgds

Barry

NickThadik said:
G'day Barry

that's what i thought! i couldn't believe it when i got the message back saying $700 i almost fell out of my chair
yes, cut, bent & welded but still $700 i could get a real nice setup for that...

to answer your first question, my mate and i are both in our early 20's and we want something that we can pump shovel after shovel through for hours and not have to worry about clogging up or losing gold

where did you find that peice?
ive been searchin around Onesteel and a few other big companies and the best price i have found is $110 for a 2mmx1.2mx3.0m sheet which i figure is enough to build the whole thing including the hopper braces and have a little leftover.

Sheesh! That's a long way away, Im only ever down there on my way to oallen!
I guess my best bet it to go for a drive around a find some fabrication places and see what they can do.

Struth Mate. !!!
$700.0 Dollars.
I bought my sheet 2.4 x 1200 x .5 for $90.00
The only two folds I had to get done cost me $10.00
The rest I did my self and used the good old POP rivet.
Things tend to be expensive down here this way.

Depends on who you get but that sounds way off. I'm no engineer but my guide would be anything from $50 half hour for some simple stuff up to around $70 per hour for some skilled work. I know some places quote like rogues but not always because they are chasing dollars. If they have a full book or doing big work the price you get is accounting for putting regular work down and overtime.
Keep shopping mate if you are flexible with your time line and do good consult and pay cash you'll find the price comes down. Sometimes the smaller guys are better, more open.
I've had 100s of dollars of work done for slabs and get a discount at a few places for repeat work when it's a case of fit it in when you can. Try and negotiate though on what you reckon you'd be prepared to pay don't low ball just throw out some fair prices and see what they say.
To be fair most places have 10 of thousands wrapped up in gear so work is not always cheap but I definitely think you can get cheaper.

I had 1 sheet of 1.6mm 2400mm x 1200mm aluminum purchased and folded into 5 sluices for 145 dollars from metaland about 8 years ago ask how much it will be without the welding as this can be expensive and consider screwing or pop riveting the ends. If you are considering making more than one sluice make the other ones 2 or 3 mm narrower at the bottom so they can nest inside each other to save on transporting space

I got quoted something the same once ,
Ended up getting an old alloy 40 km sign cost $0
$ 20 to get it bent and the rest was done with a few rivets ,grinder ,drill and a length of aluminium angle .
The excitement of making your own gear can be as rewarding as using it.

There is a fabrication shop in Maitland NSW who charge bugger all to buy your sheets from and a bloke in Newcastle does a fine job with a Tig, ...cheers ...BJ.

GO THE MIGHTY MARONES!! :lol:

yobskin said:
Bazz said:
Hey Nick

Cheers

Bazz

Don't think so Yobskin :lol: :lol:

I been screwing around with this for a while but no real urgency, I must admit your effort looks pretty damn good, any news on how it works yet????

Bazz

Bazz said:
yobskin said:
Bazz said:
Hey Nick

Cheers

Bazz

Don't think so Yobskin :lol: :lol:

I been screwing around with this for a while but no real urgency, I must admit your effort looks pretty damn good, any news on how it works yet????

Bazz
hahahaha Bazz i posted it in the youtube section...

And,
If you want to look up "Durafix." Aluminum soldering rods.
I was a bit dubious at first but am now a convert. Absolutely brilliant for those small jobs. :lol:

Latest posts