Heart attack at 52

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jin

Reaction score
Well wasn't expecting that last week. Thought I was pretty fit. Apparently, I tore 3 of the bigger arteries which caused the heart attack. The Doctor said he's only seen this happen twice in 10 years.

Nothing they can do to fix it so I just need to rest. The good news it's not a typical heart attack caused by heart disease, the downside being I'm advised to only get my heart rate up to 120 BPM from now on. I'm told the tearing in my artery walls can happen again easily if I push myself too hard. So a lot of activities that require a lot of physical exertion are now out.

Detecting should be ok but I won't be able to dig the gold up, lol... I'm sure I'll be right using the zed with the 10" coil as most of the gold is small and shallow.

Unfortunately, the gpz19 and x-coil20 coils are probably going to be a problem as I just won't be able to dig deep holes. Panning and highbanking are now over also, as well as extremely steep hill climbing.

Sucks to get sick but at least I'm still here.

Note: if you get any kind of a pain in the chest go and get it looked at. I waited 4 days although having little signs that something wasn't right. (sore right arm, tingling /numb fingers, and indigestion feeling) It took a big attack to get my attention (5 days in hospital). My mate who is 61 also has just had a heart attack and his symptoms were similar to mine.

Ironically a 14 piece gold patch was the cause of this...after mentioning to the doctor id stripped a large area of 6" topsoil with my pick. The hobby I love so much nearly killed me.

Yeah just take it easy for about 6 months and give your self time to recover, I had my first one when I was younger than you,

The trouble is being Men we are not use to putting limits on our selves and still try and do stuff like we use to in out 20's and 30's, Sadly once we get to around 40+ mother nature tells us otherwise, Take it easy Bud, and get well soon. :Y:

Take it easy Jin.
I had no warning -just happened to be carrying 2 phones ,mobile and landline. I had a warning system in the comms I had.
Love to to your wife and kids-all the best mate.
Jaros, Carolyn.

Sorry to hear Jin. You are one of the lucky ones though.

Now you know, you can be prepared and take precautions.

Far out mate... thanks for sharing, hope the resting helps get you right over time. New sideline hobby for in the mean time is what you need.... one that is not aerobic in nature at all.... but still productive with the chance of a find still in the offing.
here ya go jin.... see if this fits for ya :D

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=506720#p506720

ps.... I use a shopping trolley to make life easy nowadays :p

Jin, mate, that's not good, but good you made it, when had my heart attack I only waited all night thinking it would go away, not really knowing what was happening, well triple bypass is what happened to fix me up.

All good and going along well now, so you take it easy my friend and do what the Dr's tell you, they know best it seems.

Get well soon mate.

cheers dave

Jin I pray that UROK.
My story is: 7 years ago I decided to have a valve replaced as I suffered Rheumatic Fever as a child and the valve was closing down. The day of my surgery there were two of us but the other bloke was there because he stopped taking his medication.
Long story short , when I got back to my room from IC, the bells and whistles went off and Doctors were running to him. I survived and unfortunately he didnt. Moral to the story: Take your Medicine.
All the best for a long and happy life.
Mackka

Thanks, everyone. Wasn't expecting so many comments. Part of the reason for posting was to hopefully make others aware that sometimes those pains in the chest and sore arms we pass off as nothing to worry about can be more than we think. I wonder how many people who are no longer with us have ignored similar warning signs.

silver said:
Far out mate... thanks for sharing, hope the resting helps get you right over time. New sideline hobby for in the mean time is what you need.... one that is not aerobic in nature at all.... but still productive with the chance of a find still in the offing.
here ya go jin.... see if this fits for ya :D

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=506720#p506720

ps.... I use a shopping trolley to make life easy nowadays :p

Silver, I think that's a great idea to share. Not something for us living in a place that only has historic bank buildings but no bank but for somebody like Jim who needs a interesting activity along the lines of what we do, it's great. :Y:

Latest posts