Havinago's Nokta Fors Core

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day swingers went for a stroll down the beach for about 3hrs and gave the Nokta a workout and got my first piece of jewellery make that 2 pieces of jewellery, a 925 silver crappy design ring and a junk ring along with 2x$2. I am very happy with the Nokta's performance on the beach, if you want to use it in the wet sand don't venture to the dry and visa versa otherwise you have to balance it each time.

Cheers
Havinago

Nice, did try auto ground tracking? Did you use the big coil? My arm is dead, after using it for 3 hours.

Hey Rocket, yeah i tried ground tracking and it seems more stable but i think i prefer it off, i like it chirping a little as it doesnt seem to take away from when you get a target and i am unsure if you loose depth with it on?? I used the std coil and it pinged the $2 coins to about 8-10 approx inches running 92% sens, 10 Disc in COG mode, the rings were shallow prob 5-6 inches. I did notice that unlike when im in the park using DI3 i dont really get a stable TID with COG until its quite close just have to rely on the tones more. I wish i knew what the COG mode and ground tracking is actually doing and what compromises are made.

The big coil is a killer and a bit unco :lol:

Cheers
Havinago

If you want more depth on wet sand...start off in 2tone, set the IDMask to about 40, and manually set the GB...lower/raise the IDMASK to suit.

Tracking is better suited to variable ground....wet beach sand i doubt would vary like that found in parks or goldfields. If you have trouble GBing in 2tone...go back to COG mode and note the ground phase reading when GBing...manually set this the same in 2tone. Keep the gain low to start off with in 2tone...and raise it to suit. Remember, these detectors are high gained......you dont need to over gain them in order to get a lot of depth.....in many situations, lowering the gain will give a more stable reading.

Manipulate these setting in whatever order to achieve the above.

From Nokta.. "You can by all means use the Fors Gold on the beach by setting it up manually.... manual ground balance and adjusting the settings (ID Mask 40 recommended, use BST mode and if you get a lot of noise, use DI3)."

So is similar to what is being suggested above.. start in DI2 and move to DI3 if noise is a problem. I won't be able to test it on the beach until December, but I'm looking forward to playing with it.

Nice finds :)
C

Narrawa said:
If you want more depth on wet sand...start off in 2tone, set the IDMask to about 40, and manually set the GB...lower/raise the IDMASK to suit.

Tracking is better suited to variable ground....wet beach sand i doubt would vary like that found in parks or goldfields. If you have trouble GBing in 2tone...go back to COG mode and note the ground phase reading when GBing...manually set this the same in 2tone. Keep the gain low to start off with in 2tone...and raise it to suit. Remember, these detectors are high gained......you dont need to over gain them in order to get a lot of depth.....in many situations, lowering the gain will give a more stable reading.

Manipulate these setting in whatever order to achieve the above.

Thanks Narrawa, i will give it ago tomorrow and report on my findings, i get a bit worried (because i dont know and learning on the fly :) ) about raising the IDMask as i dont want to discriminate out any small gold jewellery i.e wifes small white gold ring gives a 48 TID, will it matter?

Ok so i went down the beach today and gave the nokta a spin with the std coil and recommendations given, when i found a target i decided to try the recommendations and the other modes available before digging, what i found was that the COG mode gave a stronger more reliable signal to the target than the DI2 mode with the same settings for GB, mask, Sens without knowing the depth (got me but true). I'm thinking Nokta's R&D and software setiings are bang on for what they put out for a set and forget machine, for 1hrs hunting i got 1x$2, 2x10C & 1x5c. The $2 was my first target where i tried before i Bought(dug) and it was at least 9-10inches/200ish mm deep with a very clear and precise reading. As time goes bye and i become more familiar with the weapon i will report my findings, as it stands i may be no expert but i think the machine is brilliant as every time i go out i find at least something and not just pull tabs. So thanks for all the advice but im learning that each environment has its own personality that needs to be considered and adjusted too to make the most of your day ;)

Went for a hunt this morning and had my best day yet on goldies, also found a ring unsure if its silver its stamped STD, how can you tell if its silver if it is not stamped 925? Got over $50 bucks in goldies now with the core what a beast of a machine ;)

Cheers Havinago

Well done havinago
How good is it when the total steadily starts to build,before you know it you'll be in the hundreds$$$$$
With the bonus of many interesting finds as well

Amachris said:
Well done havinago
How good is it when the total steadily starts to build,before you know it you'll be in the hundreds$$$$$
With the bonus of many interesting finds as well

Yeah its a lot of fun mate, must be the kid in us liking the lucky dip aspect of it ;)

Gday swingers, braved the weather yesterday in between showers to have a hunt for about 3hrs, it was quite hard to ground balance with the wet sandy soil in the field so when I found a spot that would let me I thought Id try switching on ground tracking to see how it went, the ground where I was would fluctuate between 0-38 so I think using the ground tracking really helped my cause as I found;
1x 1916 Florin,
1x 1916 Shilling,
1x 1938 Sixpence,
1x 1927 Penny (getting close to that 1930),
1x 1919 Half Penny,
1x $2,
2x $1,
1x 2c,
1x 1c,
4x Keys
1x Cone piece
1x pet tag Daffy,
1x round bead thingy,
Part of a toy airplane (maybe F15 or F14?),
And what looks like a musket ball (it isnt a sinker no holes and not perfectly round) what are your thoughts do you think it could possibly be a musket ball?.

I need to mention that I am very happy with the CORE it performs every time I get out, my trash to treasure ratio leans more towards treasure than trash, when you get a coin you can call it almost every time as it is sharp and stable, where as the trash is often jumpy. Although I am quite inexperienced with detecting for a newbie like myself the finds I am getting speak for themselves as to the quality of the CORE.

Once I have finished cherry picking all the high targets Ill then start to dig the lower ones as Im sure there will be some gold jewellery mixed in there somewhere.

Anyhow the weather is looking pretty ordinary for the next few days so when it clears up Ill get out and see what else I can find,

Cheers Havinago

What settings do you use in wet, and also in dryer ground? Great find that shilling :)

Latest posts