Gympie and surrounds information + questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There has been alot of relics found in the area...
I dont know to many people to advertise there gold finds but this one fella last week couldnt hide it if ya know what i mean!! Hahaha i think mary street heard him . He stayed passed dark and was there the next day. I always find gold there mostly fine but i dont detect...bring snake gards as i have kicked a few latley. Good luck. :D

yep thanks i was talking to the snake guy from childers the other week and he said there was a small pocket of taipans in the area :eek:

The buggers are out everywhere... red bellies n king browns mostly i stomp hard when i walk... :D i will be going for a dig on saturday weather permitting.

yobskin said:
i stomp hard when i walk... :D

Hehe, I do exactly the same yobskin when on the move.

In the thicker stuff, I stomp hard, kick rocks and even sometimes yell in load voice although im on my own.
Even though a snakes hearing aint the best, they sense the vibrations from sound.

If anyone saw me from afar, they would think I was mad.......hang on! I am mad, all good then. :p

Cheers

Hehehe yep people seem to leave you alone after looking like a nutter...good thing. I wear hockey leg pads $5 st vinnies solid plastic good for kneeling to. A 6 foot red belly had 2 goes at me so i just kicked it couldnt believe it i was soiling myself. Since then always carry spare gruds. And update life insurance. :D

Hi All,

Havent been out since I got back from Cairns so when my wife said she was going out for the day I took the opportunity to do a bit of prospecting and went to check out the Gympie Fossicking area as its a spot I hadn't been to yet.

Didn't get away till after 10am so I arrived in Gympie around 12pm and went over to the Gold Museum for lunch. Following that I went onto the Fossicking area which is just up the road from there. You head up Brisbane road and go into Victoria road.

When I got there there was fellow sitting under a tree so I went up and introduced myself and it turned out it was Yobskin from the forum. He was waiting for a new forum member named Jack Sprat to show him the ropes.

Jack Sprat arrived a bit afterwards and we all went down to Deep Creek to try our luck.

I didn't find any gold but sticking to form I found a tonne of Fools Gold :p

Yobskin showed us around the area and shared his favourite spot.

It was a real hot day today so I didn't do a lot of prospecting just a couple of test pans and had a look around the area to get the lay of the land while the other fellows carried on in earnest.

It was a great day out and I made a couple of new friends from the forum so what else could you ask for. :D

Cheers,

Grant

Hahaha it was hot mate.. i was truly amazed to see two people on the same day from this forum. :) waiting for jacksprat and i meet gcause :eek: i tell ya mate your generosity restored my faith in fellow prospectors.( gcause gave me my 1st dolly) im a crushin rocks soon! Thanx again. Jacksprat popped his golden cherry and is awear of what is reqiured to hunt the yella. It was a quick dig but dabnabit the humidity is too much after midday here still 32 c now.

Hey Yob,
Might see if I can get a day up that way next week if ya wanna catch up, tried the fossicking area once and wasn't impressed at all, but I have been told otherwise just recently.
I would like to get a "Gympie gold jar" started.
Cheers
Brad.....

Well, the weekend has come and gone, and not without an adventure.
All Tee'd up with Yodskin for a Sunday Jaunt in the Fossicking area in Gympie.
A hell of a big Difference to what I am used to....Running water, Whereas Glendon is dry and Knarly with sharp rocks.
We rocked up about 8:30 and Yobskin already had his rocker down in the gully, wasn't too sure at the beginning to wheather it was him or not.
I just saw some white buckets down by the creek, then a odd shape started to come into view, a very well camoflagued rocker.
So Zach ambered down to the buckets and sure enough it was our contact and tour guide for the day.

Daryl with the Rockin Yobskin with his young fella and Cradle rocker expert Jessie.

A work of art and a smart little bit of kit.

Good Cammo pattern too.

Quietly Rockin the day away.

So it was time to set up the Sluice in the creek and feed the hungry beast.

Peace and quiet with just the rippling water going down the creek.

Flare all loaded up and we are in action.

The creek was a little cool at first but I soon acclimatized to it and found it was refreshing to say the least.

Now we are in full swing and a little bit of gold at the end of the day will be ours for sure.

Even Zach and Jesse set up a sluice and run a bit of dirt thru, they even got a spec or two.

A couple of the locals decided to have a sticky beak.

Digging in the pit.

Come on Brad, quite slacking and pull ya weight mate, gotta make wages this week :lol:

Alright now, more dirt to run thru.

Well it was time to do a clean up to see what we have.

Ahh gold sweet glorious gold, not a weeks wage but who cares it was gold just being up there.

And a little bit more.

A close up of some yellow.

Stay away from my precious..

Then as quick as it come we had to pack up and both head off in our own separate ways, I did promise Zach some red Rooster so we hunted down one and decided to have a picnic down by the Mary river, a bit of a goat track but well worth it.

Cant any better than this...or can it.

Well I just had to try it a little, put some shovel loads of gravel thru the sluice still gotta look at that yet.
Then it was time to head off back home, but we did stop and have a look at Traverston Crossing and drove down the bank and along the river a bit, had a look and decided maybe a day in the Yaks exploring the river and also do a bit of fishing also.
I really enjoyed the day and so did Zach who ended the day with a splash, Decided to jump from one side of the creek to the other and really didn't judge it very well, straight into the drink and to top it off I got it all on video, man o man, I kacked myself.
Thank you Daryl for your time,it was well and truly needed as I was starting to go stir crazy at home. Got my fix for the week now I gotta get another one.
Zach says a big HI to Jess.

Cheers Mate and we will certainly be back up soon enough.

Got me some Gympie Gold.
Cheers
Brad.....

That's what it's all about, good families, good friends, good times and the out doors.
That's what it's all about.
Great post, thanks for sharing aushunter. :D

Hahahaha nice post mate...it was a brilliant day shared by all.
Jesse cant stop talking about Zach his new prospecting besty....he will drive me nuts about it till ya come back.
The Aushunter family is welcome anytime i really enjoyed meeting you Brad and Zach .
Im looking forward to more digging shinanigans...
Laughter is the best medicine and you boys bought a boat load of it that day...Zach and his water testing skills..Ba-hahaha im still chuckling over it. :D
Thanks heaps mate your a top bloke in my book.
I might stroll down there today for a scratch....hahahaha now im teasing you... :lol:

Great Pics, looks like a good time was had by all :lol:

I'm not at all jealous 8) :8

Thanks for the post

Latest posts